Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Auto Attack and Targeting

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Dragon Slayer, Feb 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer Avatar

I am not happy with how the auto attack and targeting is currently working for melee. As a mage, I could cast aoe type spells without ever targeting the mob to hit, but somehow to use a melee weapon that I could just swing in that direction requires me to target a mob to attack and continue to attack. Yes the focus type actions do work without ever targeting, but that is not my issue.

I am not sure about some of you, but I find my toon just siting there at times not attacking even though I did click "G" to target a mob. Yes auto attack is enabled. What happens is that sometimes while fighting for no apparent reason, at least none that I have found yet, the mob will not be targeted anymore and yes it is still alive This causes me to stop auto attacking and if I happen to run out of focus which seems to happen a lot these days even with food, then I am just sitting there for a few seconds. I see this mostly in group format.

The other thing is that when I put away my weapon, I cannot figure out if the auto attack will be enabled or disabled when I re-equip. It seems to be a random event. I equip a weapon and ensure that auto attack is enabled, then make sure the mob is targeted. I put away the weapon to recoop some focus and the equip the weapon again to fight the next mob(s). I will hit T and now it says disabled, so I re-enable. Put away the weapon to gain focus, bring it out and target a mob and now auto attack is disabled, so I click T to enable.

Toadster and FrostII like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Just wanted to say.... you are not alone in noticing these things.

Selecting a "target" with the "Next Target" key is not at all useful unless you're a melee guy who for some unknown reason happens to want to target the farthest target from you.
    Unfortunately most of us melee guys typically want to fight what's in our face...
    ( BTW "Next Target" is supposed to work from me outward )

And, once we FINALLY manage to get the target's health bar that we're face to face with - for some reason known only to whatever gods SotA has - that target's health bar mysteriously disappears.

As a melee guy with lots of options to hit with, it's really MANDATORY for me to be able to see if MY OPPONENT'S HEALTH BAR has 20 health or 200 health - so I can decide if I want to use the time/focus/regs requirement of an Earthquake or if I can just stand there ( using none of my precious focus ) for a few seconds before it's dead.

For whatever reason, Port has decided that "they" know better what health bar I should see than I do...
    And, that can not last much longer and still keep people interested in fighting.... at least not melee people.

It's been that way ever since the "Great Reticule Debacle" of 2016.

What ( Port, I'm talkin to you ) is the difficulty involved in giving us the option to LOCK a target's health bar ?

We used to have it before the GRD of 2016.... :mad:

And, with all due respect, I'm talkin' to you @Chris @DarkStarr @Lord British
    *Not necessarily in that order*

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Matt Harris and Preachyr like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

At least you can double click to lock a target once again.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

If only it would STAY LOCKED I would have no issue.
    It does NOT STAY LOCKED.

Tamsen, Matt Harris and Weins201 like this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Soft lock is still a joke, and does not work.

The developers and the game are still smarter and a better game player than the actual player.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Hmm... it says locked for me unless that target is inaccessible, in which case it'll temporarily select another target until the hard-locked target is accessible again.

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Are you talking melee with multiple targets or mage/ranged ?

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ranged. I have a polearm character but I don't lock a target as he can hit multiple targets.

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

That's what I thought, @Barugon , and I appreciate the input.
    The issue I described ( not holding a target's health bar ) doesn't apply to mage/ranged - only we melee people.
    It's not unusual for melee fighters to have multiple mobs at one time, which makes it even more essential to be able to HOLD a target's health bar in order to ascertain damage being done or not done.
    When I have a couple of bears or wolves or whatever mob'd on me at one time, I simply ask that MY TARGET SELECTION'S HEALTH BAR stays put - and it does NOT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.