Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Auto Attack / Combat Feedback

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Koldar, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I feel compelled to leave a little feedback on combat.

I really love the new skill-based system. I think it is going to be much easier to use overtime. That said, there are a couple of issues that are making combat incredibly frustrating for me.

Auto Attack
    - I do not think it means what I think it means
    I have auto attack enabled in my options menu, yet my avatar refuses to attack any aggressors unless I also press "T" or double-click the aggressor. It seems counter intuitive to me to have to do something extra if I already chose to enable a feature called Auto Attack.
    • Suggestion: Make auto attack auto attack. ;)
    • Suggestion: Make auto attack automatically face and move into range of selected enemy/aggressor.

Weapon Range - Missed it by that much
    I begin to attack an enemy and the enemy is smart enough to backup out of my weapon's reach. Even with the reworked distances for some creatures (bears and wolves specifically) I have to constantly move my avatar throughout the entire battle to stay in striking range. Adding to that frustration is the lack of feedback in the chat window when the enemy is beyond my weapon's range.
    • Suggestion: Make longswords longer. ;)
    • Suggestion: Add feedback to the chat window when the enemy is beyond the weapon's range.

Don't get me wrong here - R21 is incredibly polished and has been great fun this evening. I'm looking forward to some more fun times this weekend. I will just be avoiding combat. :p

2. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Hit boxes still feel too small and sensitive. Auto attack should start when I'm in range and have the enemy targeted, but I always have to actually click on them with the mouse. This is obnoxious when changing targets or faced with tiny targets such as spiders.

3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I subscribe ten times everything OP said.

I'd love, love, LOVE to have some clearly, unmistakable feedback that my char is actually doing what I think I instructed her to do.

Miss by range or facing? "Wooosh" as floating feedback. Or "KB tries to Thrust at $MOB, but it's out of range - tee hee" in log. :confused:

Target selected, in range, weapons drawn, full focus pool, aggressed by it? REACT, you stupid dummy!!! :mad: See those two shining new swords I put in your hands? What about swinging them at that wolf spider? :rolleyes:

4. Rubus Bramble

Rubus Bramble Avatar

I love R21 with the changes to use based but I agree with the OP, its very frustrating in combat with the auto-attack (tick) and still having to press T or double click.

Particular against wolves and bears, as a hide gatherer I have died several time's thinking I was auto-attacking and chasing Mobs around.

5. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I would not mind having an area of effect outline overlay, like a cone outline drawn in front of you on the ground, like the target outline was previously OR your target's overlay changes color when in range.
    So you can tell what your range is.

Leostemplar, Fister Magee and Koldar like this.
  6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I think Soundeffects will do the trick one day. After our Eyes the second best way of providing feedback are Sounds.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  7. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

My polearms have the range of my pinky finger too. Can't hit anything unless I'm literally down their throats.

Then I run out of AP immediately.

FrostII, Leostemplar and Koldar like this.
  8. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I'm hoping they do make some sort of a change to auto attack. Obviously, they aren't going to be able to make everyone happy. But how auto attack now functions, it is completely useless for me. I rarely have the camera directly pointed at an enemy - I want to look around to make sure other enemies aren't sneaking up on me.

9. AviarAmidar

AviarAmidar Avatar

I'm really torn on this one. I know last night everytime I got into combat and I forgot to hit "T" I was cursing. Throughout the night though I kind of started getting used to it and found it to be rather interactive and kept me more engaged in combat. I don't think we should be able to just zoom the camera all over the place while in combat.

I think this is almost really needed for PVP as it will make PVP much more engaging than what it currently has been. Especially having to have your camera lined up with your opponent it will make PVP much harder and people who master this will definitely be rewarded for it.

10. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, they changed it so that you have to double click or use the hotkey to initiate the Auto-Attack.

• Auto-attack uses Free Attack: Auto-attack now shares the same logic as free attack. Essentially, auto-attack is now a free attack that is repeatedly triggered as long as you have a target in front of you and while your camera is facing the target. Double-clicking on a target or selecting a target then hitting the “T” key initiates auto-attack

They should offer another option so that entering Combat Mode also initiates Auto-Attack. There may be cases where players want to be in Combat Mode but do not want the auto-attack to initiate right away. I thought that was a frequent complaint from Archers or stealth play?

But yeah, agreed about more feedback or audio or visual indicator or something when you're out of range or have missed because you were.

11. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I strongly dislike the way auto-attack is currently working. I'm sorry, but irl if something comes up and hits me from the side or from behind me, I am *NOT* going to swing at the air in front of me and not *instinctively* turn to face the opponent.

And i will tell you why.... I once knocked a guy off of a bicycle in Isfahan, Iran with a roundhouse kick - and it was a reaction that came without thought. Yes, I had been trained (a bit) in martial arts. Yes, this guy grabbed at my @ss when he rode past me (he came toward me from the back). But I reacted in a split second, instinctively, and fast enough to knock him off of the bicycle [he was already ahead of me when I spun and knocked him off the bike].

Bottom line: there is nothing about "auto attack" currently which is realistic.

Oh, and to clarify.... In SotA currently, I target what I am fighting, click on a glyph, and miss because I have not physically turned myself around to *exactly* face the monster (not for a lack of trying). They can target me and hit - they have no problems turning, but it's hard as hell for me to get in that "just right" position so I can hit them.

[Edit: I remembered he came from behind, not the front - it was the guy in the bazaar who came at me from the front [this *did* happen over 20 years ago]. Also, for the record - those were the only two times in Iran that I had to defend myself. The rest of my 4 years there was just fine. Since then, I have had to defend myself only once in the US, when I lived in the French Quarter - but that's another story that involves a knife.]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The only thing I can add at this point is that I had to beg for money to even buy the skill set I wanted to use and my skill is level 1 until I use it. Why can't we start the game with a set number of skill points and choose one or two skill to start off at 50 and one at skill at level one.

Also removing the gold cost to start gaining skill points in a skill would be nice. I should be able to pick up a sword and start gaining skill in swords from level 1 and so on. Training should let us buy like 30 points in that skill so we don't start off at 1 which is basically no skill at all.

(I know this sounds very familiar to anybody who played UO)

Also I locked my two spell icons and there were some slugs coming up. I don't need those I don't want to use any deck system. Is there any way to disable the deck system so we never see it again? It is useless to me, and I think it has lead to the ruin of this game. Can it just be removed entirely?

13. Corazon

Corazon Avatar

Agree with OP. Only just discovered what 'T' does. Have always had to double click to force attack. Very difficult to do, especially with small targets and a hefty Avatar in the way. I have almost accidentally left my guild on numerous occasions!!!

Katrina Bekers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.