Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by Saoirse, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saoirse

Saoirse Avatar

Reproduction Rate: 100%

Blocker? Yes and has prevented me from testing since update 26.

Details: I was able to test fine up to update 26. This error appears with every attempt and with each update. I've uninstalled every update and installed fresh but that hasn't helped. I've also tried downloading from SoTA and Steam. I've tried logging in via Steam and through SoTA login info.

Steps to Reproduce: Click Enter Game and error message appears.
    "Shroud of the Avatar.exe.
    Shroud of the Avatar.exe has stopped working
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

User Specs: Win 10 64b
    Lenovo model: 20240
    AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD 8400 graphics (4077mb mem)
    4 CPUs 2.0 ghz
    8192mb ram memory
    directx 11

* Bug Category = Performance / Launch

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hi Saoirse!

I'm escalating this issue to tech for review. Thank you for your patience in this issue!

RDouglas and glambourine like this.
  3. Dartorn

Dartorn Avatar

I have the same issue.

4. Brian Fullblade

Brian Fullblade Avatar

I have same issue as well

5. glambourine

glambourine Avatar

Me also--I don't remember the exact release when I was able to stop loading the game at all (crashes as soon as I enter my password 100% of the time; doesn't crash if I enter the incorrect password), but it would have been around 26 (definitely before the targeting system changed.) This sucks because I loved all of the releases since the one where you could just run around Owl's Head talking to NPCs, and would really like this resolved?

(My specs: Windows 10 v 1511, 64 bit, HP Pavilion, AMD A8-6410 w/ Radeon R5 gfx 2.00 ghz, 4GB of RAM. This happens with every application shut down, everything running in the background shut down as best as I can get it in the Task Manager. Earlier releases worked fine on the same machine with same specs/OS)

RDouglas likes this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

same issue

RDouglas likes this.
  7. RDouglas

RDouglas Avatar

Same issue here since windows 10 upgrade/nods... Logged in on my account no problem on Hubby's Alienware, non windows 10. The only other difference in our accounts is that I am dev+ with unity he is artisan. So its either unity? or windows 10/nods
    ingame,
    Rawnie DeDouglas, NBNN

8. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you all for the continued reports. First things I might suggest just to make sure there's no chance of issue would be to do a fresh install. If that is not the case, knowing system spec information including operating system, whether the client is standalone or through steam, video cards, etc.

Thanks!

RDouglas likes this.
  9. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This seems to be an issue with AMD APU processors that has been occurring for a while now. Anyone experiencing this issue that is not using an AMD APU processor, or not experience this issue that is using one?

10. Saoirse

Saoirse Avatar

Sure hope you guys or they get on the ball. That's like 20% of the laptop market. Thanks for the update.

11. BurningToad

glambourine and Link_of_Hyrule like this.
  12. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

@BurningToad , this issue has been on-going since R26 with the Unity Engine, and as you and I have looked at, has affected to a certain extent *ALL* types of AMD processors. Higher-end models overheat; lower-end crash.

I'm very concerned at this moment because up until today, users like myself with this issue have been able to use the Windows 32-bit workaround mode to continue to play SotA in Online Mode, albeit at a drastically lower quality of gameplay. However, as of this morning when I patched in, I am no longer able to use the workaround as it stands. The reason I am so concerned? MY LOT SELECTION WINDOW OPENS TOMORROW MORNING AT 7AM!!!

I am working frantically to locate someone with a powerful enough gaming rig in whom I also have enough trust to give access to my account information to assist me in claiming my property. It's beyond frustrating that the day before my Lot Selection Window opens, suddenly my sole means to game access bugs out.

I know it's an issue with the Unity Engine, and that it's a major source of frustration for everyone at Portalarium as well. But as @Saoirse notes, this affects so many people, and I've listed how many other Avatars struggling in following this issue since Release 26 (SEVEN MONTHS) and there has got to be some way to resolve this! It is unjust to expect so many of us to have invested how many thousands of dollars into this game only to be prevented from enjoying the experience we've been promised to enjoy for our money!

Apologies for the ranting, but if I'm prevented from claiming the property I've been planning for and thinking about for well over a year's time now because of some ridiculous technical incompatibility, I will be enraged. I beg of you to find a common-purpose workaround that all players can utilize until Unity is able to resolve this issue, and to pressure Unity to make resolving the incompatibility one of their top priorities going forward.

13. BurningToad

I am sorry about this issue :( I'm working on getting the 32-bit workaround posted shortly. Hopefully it will still work (we have changed Unity versions since then, which is why the older one no longer works.)

14. BurningToad

Due to 32 bit mode being the only known workaround for this crash with AMD APU Processors, I have uploaded some files that can be used for those that currently can not play the game due to this crash. If you do this, I recommend playing the game with the "Fastest" visual quality settings, as this reduces memory usage. Still, the game will likely crash periodically as it reaches the limits of 32bit addressable memory space.

You can download the files here: http://patchserver.shroudoftheavatar.com/sotalive/SotA32BitR32.zip

Here are instructions on how to use them: If you want to try it, keep in mind that making this change will cause any future patches to fail, at which point you would need to reinstall, and re-do the fix.... or change the files back to their original state before patching.

So first... back up the following files to some other location, and then delete them.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar_Data\Mono\mono.dll

If you are using Steam, the root directory for the files would look something more like this:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA

Now, take the files from the downloaded zip and put them in the same locations as the files you just moved out.

Then run the game. This should run the game in 32 bit mode (should have a 32 in the top left corner.)

I'm sorry that this is the best we can do for now, though it looks like Unity is starting to test the issue and will hopefully find a fix.

glambourine likes this.
  15. glambourine

glambourine Avatar

Will try this out tonight so I can get a little bit of Solace Bridge-area grinding done :) But as it's been a week, though I'd bump this to see if anything else is happening with a better Unity fix?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.