Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Avoid (and terminology in general)

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by KuBaTRiZeS, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I find the terms relative to how players handle damage very confusing. If i wouldn't know what purpose does they have, I'd think that Avoid is related to dodge and light armor while Resist is related to heavy armor, while in fact Avoid is granted by heavy armor and Resist is granted by all kinds of armor. I'm also saying this because from time to time i've been reading post of people asking about this two terms.

From my point of view, it could be better if Damage Resistance is changed for Damage Reduction and Damage Avoidance for Hit Deflection, or something like that.

If the intention is that people just "play the game" without worrying about what X and Y means, we should revise terminology and the rest of the ways information is given to players so bonuses and stats are clearly explained. For example, I'm still not sure if "attack skill" increases damage, or hit, or something else.

EDIT: I just checked the tips that appear when you hover your mouse over "Avoid", and there it says "Increases the character's chance of dodging an attack or recieving a glancing blow." This adds even more confusion to the misc; is evasion related with dodging and glancing? then why when i activate "dodge" this doesn't rise?

Once again... If i'm intended to "just play", the effects of my character skills and the purpose of my character stats should be crystal clear.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree on the need for clarity and understandable metrics.

On the other hand, I think explaining 'what happened' (using terms like 'chance to dodge an attack or receive a glancing blow') can be hugely important as well. Many games use D&D metrics, which, while familiar to many steeped in this gaming genre, are not always fully descriptive and understood by people like my wife that may want to play the game. Descriptions of 'what happened' can bring deeper meaning to a statistic.

KuBaTRiZeS and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.