Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Bags in Chest (version 4)

Discussion in 'Release 35 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Mad Hatter, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

Repeat thread from R30.....

I was hoping to see this fixed.

Has this been addressed or any feedback? I am speaking directly about Storage Chest in Houses

It is extremely difficult to be organized with all my stuff just thrown in a box/bank (even in the bank it is still a helter skelter, because when you drop a bag into it, it will take all items out)!!!

Please help us crafters/cooks/smiths/collectors/etc... be more organized.

It honestly drives me "MaD"

2. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

When you put a chest into the bank, the items in the chest appear to be removed. It turns out that the items aren't really being removed. The UI is just showing a flattened view of everything that is in the bank.
    We understand the value of wanting to keep your bank organized. The UI as it stands makes organization using chests not so good. I'm going to enter an issue on our bug-tracker system for this. We'll see where this goes. I'm hedging a bit here because some players actually like the flattened view, so I can't say for sure where this will end up.

3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

Thanks for the reply...

Then they simply don't have to use bags :) (simple task)

At least the bank system kinda works... but could you please tell me about "Storage Chest in Houses" ?

Example, I want to have an Ornate Viking Chest in my room and inside I want to have:

Ornate Viking Chest Labled "Hatter Hats" (and inside have the following):
    1) Bag (Labeled "Morning Hats") w/10+ hats inside (depending on my mood, which to wear)
    2) Bag (Labeled "Afternoon Hats") w/10+ hats inside (depending on my mood, which to wear)
    3) Bag (Labeled "Evening Hats") w/10+ hats inside (depending on my mood, which to wear)
    4) Bag (Labeled "Sleeping Hats") w/10+ hats inside (depending on my mood, which to wear)

But this is the way I have to do it now and completely overkill and waste of space and lock-downs:
    1) Ornate Viking Chest (Labeled "Morning Hats") w/10+ hats inside (depending on my mood, which to wear)
    2) Ornate Viking Chest (Labeled "Afternoon Hats") w/10+ hats inside (depending on my mood, which to wear)
    3) Ornate Viking Chest (Labeled "Evening Hats") w/10+ hats inside (depending on my mood, which to wear)
    4) Ornate Viking Chest (Labeled "Sleeping Hats") w/10+ hats inside (depending on my mood, which to wear)

Please advise and thanks for the time and response!!!

Becuase right now I am wearing the "?" Hat :)

-MH

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Leostemplar likes this.
  4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

An indented view? The typical nested tree view of directories/files?

Black Tortoise and Elwyn like this.
  5. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

A collapsible view would be lovely!

6. Lord Subtleton

So let me see if I understand the problem. The current system uses more physical space (4 chests vs one), and each bag counts against the decoration limit.

7. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

I will make a video and post it here for you to see and help :)

Simple explanation = Storage Chest (or any container for that matter) in houses does NOT except a Bag with any items in it.

Meaning if I want to keep things organized I need to use separate chest for everything (like my example above). More chest I use the more space/clutter it takes up and also goes against my decoration limit.

At least the bank lets you drop a bag in it with items (I don tlike that it reveils everything in my bank, only wish it would show those items in the bag upon me opening bag in bank box only... but it at least works).

Video to come later :)

-MH

8. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

If you give someone a chest on your lot, then they cannot organize that chest between multiple item types.

If I have a chest for equipment myself, I may wish to put a bag of hats/helms/crowns etc., a bag of capes & wings, a bag of swords, a bag of axes in it.

If I have a chest for my adventuring equipment, I may wish to group my two fire wands with my fire chest/gloves etc. in a bag, my set of pvp equipment in a bag, my "best" set of equipment, some vanity sets of equipment for various engagements composed of 6 or more items. It's very difficult to organize right now with the inability to put bags in chests.

Also if I have bags in my inventory for organization purposes, I cannot quickly put those bags in a chest if I'm wanting to reduce my weight.

Leostemplar and Mad Hatter like this.
  9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

Video on "Bags in Chests"

-MH

10. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

Video on "Bags and Bank"

-MH

Black Tortoise and LoneStranger like this.
  11. Lord Subtleton

Thanks for putting together the videos. I'll include a link to the bank video on the related task that I entered for that.

On the housing side, the video shows the game working as designed. The decoration limits are in place for performance reasons. We call out containers as a special category (for item limits) because they are more expensive than other objects. They are both interactible (requires special synchronization) and have a storage component. Without delving too deep into technical details, I'll just say that putting a container inside another container does not improve the performance cost of each container. Items placed on your property get synchronized to every player in the scene. And since housing is not instanced, we are potentially talking about tens of thousands of players.

If the main complaint is the decoration limit, then that's a tough one due to the technical constraints. There is room for improvement on the space/clutter aspect of what you are talking about, so not all is lost.

Black Tortoise and Chatele like this.
  12. Phoenix2

Phoenix2 Avatar

I'd like to go back to the 'flattened view' issue. This to me is an organizational nightmare. When I have items in a bag, and I put that bag into my bank, I dont want the bank to show the items I have in the bag. It is very confusing. If I want to see what items I have in the bag, I then open up the bag.

Much like how it works in my personal inventory. My character's inventory doesnt just show me a 'flattened view'. It only shows me the items not in the bag. I would expect that is how it should work in the bank as well.

But now that we are talking about inventory and banks....Stacking is still not working. If I throw an item in the bank, it does not stack automatically with a like item that I already have in the bank. In inventory, if I have an item that is in a bag and that bag is in my inventory, when I loot a like item, the game does not appear to check to see if I already have a like item in a bag. It just sticks it in my inventory...which to me is a bit sloppy.

Chatele and lollie like this.
  13. Thrives

Thrives Avatar

If bags in a chest is a no no due to houses not being instanced. Would allowing it in their basements help? I would like to see some solution to this problem at hand.

Mad Hatter likes this.
  14. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

Does this mean that every item in every chest is synced to my session when I zone into the scene or just every object not within another container?

15. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

Thanks Lord Subtleton for the replies and input. I don't understand all the technical stuff but sounds like its not promising.

I actually have a character that I use JUST to hold Bags so I can be organized (because the system works fine on a character... I can put Bag inside Bag inside Bag and have several layers)!!! This is not a joke either, and after the new encumbrance rule goes into effect he will be stuck forever!!!

I like this idea (as a Band-Aid... for-say). Can this be applies to basements? Please advise because we all are looking for a solution to keeping organized better

Sincerely,

-MH

16. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

There is always aesthetic to consider :).

I totally understand the order of difficulty for the data sync algorithm would increase exponentially if containers within containers were added to the mix. I wonder if some gradual alternatives could help refine the inventory system such that eventually, its highly customizeable at low cost.

Can container views be local data? -------------

For instance, how much work can just be offloaded to the client? Could inventory be implemented such that what we have now is default (i.e., ["Equipment", "Crafting", "Housing", "Consumable"]), and a player can modify various inventories to list objects to their liking (e.g., ["Weapons", "Armor", "Food", "Jigglemewutzies"]). Items fit in to each "categorized" list in the inventory as they are placed into them, so if I drag a Gold Ore to "Jigglemewitzies", Gold Ore (not the instance of a Gold Ore, but all Gold Ore) is now viewable in that list in that container. The "All Items" list is immutable and always does what it says, all other lists are deletable/createable/modifiable on a per-inventory basis.

Its crude, but the "dynamic, player-set" container lists are simply reset when destroyed and recreated. So be careful and dont accidentally drop an apple into your complex "Mined Items" list.

Their customization of their backpack is stored in some *.json file locally. All other players just see the "flattened view" with the "default" categorization. The only inventories that can be adjusted are inventories owned by your player (so you cant modify the inventory lists of a container inside a local blacksmith shop or someone elses house, just for memory/performance reasons really).

Can containers be flattened when synced, and nested when viewed? -------------

Could the systems responsible for syncing/tracking items for each avatar in a scene always treat containers as flattened, and for players, visual nesting is given though the back end is still treating it flattened?

What I mean, is it possible that a player can place items in bags, for example, then place bags in a chest, for example, and given properties within that container, have a "file system" like collapsable tree view of each item within a container? This sort of presentation only happens on view of the container by a player, as items are really considered immediate children of the ancestor container. Perhaps each player, or each container, has metadata about sub containers.

This way, players get the mental organization theyre after, and the game system doesnt really have to care about nested containers unless a single player looks inside a specified container that has some metadata that says items 2,3,4,5 are displayed underneath object B, when container A is clicked on and viewed. The scene just knows items 1,2,3,4,5,6 and object B are inside container A.

I think this works well for "All Items". When you click "Equipment", you still get flattened view of all equipment-items, as your bag isnt armor or weapons or a pipe etc. But perhaps this is a decent compromise for players, being able to have their own organizational structure (nested what, 3 levels deep? 2? even 1 is helpful...) when viewing "All Items", and the game system works as it always has when the other inventory tabs are clicked. Or if its easy tech to implement, make bags/containers visible in all tabs (or make bags more popular/valuable than lets say, cabinets or chests by making them the only container viewable in all tabs). Viewing "Housing" might seem weird since youd see the containers, but theyd not list their non housing items.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  17. Feldon Grimshaw

Feldon Grimshaw Avatar

It looks like nothing has happened on this thread in a while. I agree with MH. I need to be organized. The only way i can do it now is to have bags lying all over my house. I have a chest, but it's useless because it's just a big list. I'm sure there's technical reasons, but from a user point of view, it's not very nice having a chest that can't have bags... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.