Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Bags in Chest

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Mad Hatter, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

Hello Devs and Avatars,

I am asking for help/support on the topic we have been addressing for awhile now. I am sorry to keep bringing this up but several of you have asked me to keep asking.

*Bags in Chest*

I want player housing/basements to act identically to player inventory... On our player Backpack we can put multiple bags within each other to keep organized.

Small example.

Suppose I am a Blacksmith... And I want to create multiple different items and I want to store the items into a chest in my house, but I want to keep them organized by using Backpacks within the chest.

I want to have it like this:
    1) Chest
    a) Backpack with Blunts inside
    b) Backpack with Wands inside
    c) Backpack with 2 Handed Swords inside
    d) Backpack with 1 Handed Swords inside
    e) Backpack with Axes inside

But with Current system I CANNOT DO THIS (if I want to stay organized), I am forced to do it this way instead:

1) Chest
    - Blunts inside
    2) Chest
    - Wands inside
    3) Chest
    - 2 Handed Swords inside
    4) Chest
    - 1 Handed Swords inside
    5) Chest
    - Axes inside

This is what we are all speaking about. We are forced to use 5 Chest instead of a simple 1 Chest (if we want to be organized). And this is just a SMALL example of just using Blacksmithing!!!

Please help/support, or am I truly going MaD?!?!

Thanks

-MH

2. Glimo

Glimo Avatar

+1

And not just nested containers in housing, but nested containers in inventory while in list mode. Would make crafting SO much easier!

3. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

They could also just add compartments within the chest so you can section them off with different titles. They may however want us to shell out gold or craft multiple chests to do the same thing. It may be also that the limits on containers within the house are not set up to see containers within containers as a counted limit which is why they haven't added it yet.

4. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

+1 to this fine idea! This will help to minimise the number of chests placed on our property, thus improving the overall outlook of the player housing as well!

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

+1 PLEASE!!!

LoneStranger likes this.
  6. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

It would help a lot rather then having a dozen chests that can't be labeled having a couple with named containers inside

LoneStranger likes this.
  7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

It would be a good idea if they could limit it to 1 level deep. Unfortunately I think the coding for this may be a nightmare and the overhead to much for them to implement quickly. Bags within bags with bags within bags buried in one persons organized chest.

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Coding it isn't much of an issue. You have a parent-child relationship. Before you drop the bag, you check the parent's parent, etc, all the way up until there are no more parents and count them. If you get to four or five or six, just warn that it can't be done.

9. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

+100000000000000000

10. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I dunno... I kinda like a reason for having more than one storage container on my property. It's convenient enough that they have no capacity limit.

11. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

If you like the way it is... you could keep it that way for sure :) . What we are asking for would not change the way you currently are storing things.

Fister Magee and uhop like this.
  12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Yes, exactly. I'm not looking to put one single master chest in my house; I'm just looking for better organization.

For example, in my Publishing Supplies chest, I probably would put bags in there to separate my hundreds of blank books and sheets, but I'd still have other chests for other things.

uhop likes this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Agreed, this would only make sense with implementation of bag items limits. Mainly because it defeats the purpose of having a bigger house and bigger lot for bag storage. Right now, we at least have to put down on the ground several chests to organize things even though they have unlimited space.

Lord Dreamo likes this.
  14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

There have been several times that Port did things that 'defeat the purpose of having a bigger house and bigger lot.' Take the greenhouse row, for example. Now people in row houses can garden like crazy, which was supposed to be one of the row's designed disadvantages and an incentive to get a bigger lot.

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I still think they should have say 256 item limits per container but enable the ability to put bags in chest where the contents still take up 1 item of the 256.

This would allow us to put bags in chests and keep the press on having bigger houses/lots for more storage.

Its actually amazing to this point in the game that we not only finally got back stacking (carpel tunnel saver) but they haven't even got tech in place to nest bags. That includes item inventory screens like the vendor sell screen where my reagents which I place in my reagent bag are displayed openly where I can accidentally sell them.

16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It's an example of their bare-bones development method (which is an Agile line-of-thinking) where you get the bare minimum done as fast as you can, and then iterate on it. Only problem is that they rarely have a chance to come back and iterate on this feature while they work on other, bigger fish.

Starr/Chris said that they'd like to do a couple polish passes, so maybe that involves things like coding some low-hanging fruit for quality-of-life improvements.

Fister Magee likes this.
  17. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I'm not expert, but I think that's probably how Game development usually works as I understand it. Problem is, players aren't usually involved at that point so we don't see it.

You try to get most features in to some sort of playable extent then refine them as you go on. See what works trial and error. Which is probably a little easier when you don't have paying customers with different opinions on what should be done and what deserves the most attention.

18. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It's how most software companies develop their products now, but it used to not be so. It used to be done using the 'waterfall' method where you did each stage all at once and didn't move on to the next stage until the previous one was done. You are correct, normal companies don't have this kind of window into the process. Even still, we really need a quality-of-life pass.

19. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

FYI, container limits are coming at some point so that may effect your current stuff organization method.

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.