Banning/Permissions Control List for Owners/Co-Owners

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Tahru, Jan 16, 2015.

?

Should Player Town Owners be able to Ban?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2015.
  1. I want owners to be able to ban, but not during guild wars, or in open pvp towns.

10.7%
  2. I want to be able to ban, but just for events, then they dont have to be banned anymore.

3.6%
  3. Banning is against the exploration of the game, and I may want to go to places where im not welcome.

10.7%
  4. No

39.3%
  5. Yes

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Sweeeeet!! If this is the complete interpretation used by Portalarium, I am going to start submitting code specifically for my lots! :)

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Just saying, when it is advertised by asking if you ever wanted to own your own instance, and named Player Owned Town... that is what people have in their minds when they pull out the wallets.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Another little Idea that might work. In order to eliminate invisible barriers, and from an role play standpoint, have them be able to zone into the hex, but have the entrance like entering a keep or castle. There would be a portcullis there. And if you were banned you could not have permissions to pass through the portcullis, it would not appear to open to you.

4. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Phenom Ill Il IlI l Avatar

From the City in the sky and house of Legend's
    Heck you could take my idea of it appearing invisible to those that are unwanted or banned and only have it apply in multi-player!!! And have it off in solo play. This way they can still see all of that that they want to and explore until they pass out.

If theyare in solo play they can't alter anything, influence anyone, or be a problem in any manner ect. ect. ect. And hey!!! they could still even use the npc's this way so its a win win!

But I would put money on it that for some reason someone here will not even agree to this as they for some reason want to be able to be intrusive to the town owner. And some how even this would ruin the game for them. PLEASE prove me wrong here!

Tarsin and Filthy Peasant like this.
  5. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Heck I think this is a great compromise. They still get to explore and what not but in no way can cause the town or the town owner any grief.

Would most of you players that are anti ban at least agree on this compromise of only in multi-player? This way you can still see the content while still insuring protection for the PoT owner?

6. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

I agree with you with one exception. I was thinking of buying a small POT to support the game. I would not have any guards. I am just a nice person. I would want to ban people who would act like jerks and ruin things for me. I would not have anyone who would protect me. I have not even friended anyone in this game yet. I am new to online games. What would you recommend I do in that situation?

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Welcome to the community. That is a good question. If it is just a holdfast with a few houses and no guards, I suppose you could add this person to your ignore list. Also you can just ban them from your house so they cannot follow you in there, but I think people will get tired of being ignored.

Unless you are flagged for PvP, there is nothing a person could really do that can ruin your game experience. If they are trying to be some kind of grief player, then I suppose you ought to report the person rather than just invoking a ban on your location. If the person is violating the terms of service then he should be handed over to the Portalarium police.

ALL MY POSTS CONDENSED:
    If you read all of my posts in this thread, I did mention that I am for having a block list on towns. The reason I'm arguing against it, is because nobody else really is giving good reasons for why this could be bad, and it seems a bit unreasonable to have private towns without any explanation to the rest of the players. I cannot think of a city that completely closes its doors to outsiders. They might have gates and protection that can be shut in case of an invasion, but if the town is a private city then maybe it isn't a city, it is more like a compound.

So while I understand why people who bought a city might want to have their own private game where nobody else can ruin their game, it might actually ruin everybody else's game by placing a city on our overland map that we can never gain entrance to, nor can we investigate to find out any information about it... a town we cannot enter without explanation. (Even a standard explanation of "this town is private! please move on!" is not enough). In fact, a blanket response like that will likely get mentioned in an article by a person who is evaluating this game for the press.

So there needs to be an explanation unique to each town. There needs to be some way to explore and find out information on that city (even if it is just taking the sextant coordinates of the town, and look up that town in some hall of records some place). We should be able to find out about these towns, like guild affiliation, owner, town description, and maybe the people who live there.

Even if they are reclusive spooks in that town, we should be able to do some investigation to find out something, like "Their doors are shut to all outsiders, and nobody is ever seen leaving or entering the place *queue the spooky music*". Otherwise it is better that the town be utterly invisible to everybody who isn't an insider.

EDIT: The hall of records thing doesn't have to be an simple thing. I'm not expecting that New Britania has Google searches from our command line. We should take the most accurate sextant readings, and write it down, and then go to the hall of records and open up the index of towns and see if we can find a town that is a match. Then we can go to the book shelf that has the town info and read the description.

To me that sounds like a very Lord British way to do things anyway. sure there are things that we don't ever need to know, but if we really want to know about something there should be some way of finding out the information. A little bit of investigation hurts nobody.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I see nothing wrong with investigating. Sure exploration is great, and everyone but the griefer who got banned should be able to do it. :) Do the crime do the time lol. I am however in favor of everyone exploring, even banned people, in single player online mode if they want to explore.

Xandra7 and Phenom Ill Il IlI l like this.
  9. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Sounds good to me Filthy Peasant and Isaiah. Liking a lot of both of your posts!

DavenRock [MGT] and Themo Lock like this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There was no ban feature in UO. There was no ignore feature either. That was still my best MMO experience. It was a great game.

Honestly I don't think ban/ignore features are really even nessisary. Hear me out on this. Some people just get annoyed too easily. Yet we will have those features, but they really should be last resort mechanisms. If the person is really a griefer they should get reprimanded by the Portalarium police, or banned. If the ignore feature is for those exceptions where the person is not breaking any rules to get themselves banned then it is just a way of hating another person because they aren't behaving the way you want them to. They made you cranky... So what is the ignore feature really for? *that is a rhetorical question*

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

noooo don't start the discussion back at square one XD

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

You are running in circles as we have been over this before. And yes UO did have banning. "I ban thee". You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone. The reasons have been stated over and over again, and you just make us retype them. The need for banning with a review from a gm is important. Yes the ban will be instantaneous, but will be reviewed as the gm will be paged for a review. I am starting to think that you just want to have the power to grief with no repercussions haha. I can see the need for guards in a pvp town, and that bans should not be in a pvp town, but in a pve town where only pvp with consent can happen, you cannot force anyone out. You may think you are entitled to content in the name of exploitation and investigating, but how can you condone griefing and letting some one ruin events and have the gm show up afterwords. Do you want the event to be ruined? Are you in favor of the griefer? Not sure why you want to take a hard line against these protections. If a gm is paged every time some one gets banned, this should minimize the potential for any greifing by the Player town owner right? I mean if the gm sees that the player town owner is abusing it, some how, maybe he could do something about it, but I suspect most of the time it would be warranted.

Phenom Ill Il IlI l likes this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The question was meant to make us question why we want it. I'm always a little unsettled about personal ban/ignore lists in general. Not only are they exploitable for PvP scenarios it seems a bit antisocial.

Why can't people live with conflict? What about conflict resolution? I think banning and ignoring are strange features...

Sure we are all acustom to bans and ignores from social networking, but since when do we live like we do on social networks?

When is the last time you walked up to someone and poked them?

When was the last time you walked behind a person and notified him saying "hi I am now following you, do you want to follow me back?

When was the last time you called all your friends to tell them you are checking in at Disneyland?

When was the last time you hollered out in a public place to update everyone about your status?

Since we don't live like social networking, then why do people want to have ignore and ban mechanisms like social networking while playing an MMO?

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That was only for your house. I never had a ban feature in UO and it was fine.

15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well I am sorry you are unsettled about the topic, but I am not talking about pvp towns, I am talking about pve towns. We have covered the whole exploit issue and invite you to reread this thread.
    Why cant people live with conflict? They should not have to, this is a consensual game, not a forced non consensual game. You thinking that is strange is not a valid argument.
    No Idea what social media has to do with anything here and for the record I have never been to disneyland. Not sure why its important.

I am just wondering why you feel the need to force people to accept griefing and "deal" with it.

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The problem is that we just come to expect a ban or an ignore feature in games like this.

My question is why do we expect this? Can we at least qurstion it to determine the need for such a feature?

I know this might not make a dent in people's rigid worldviews, but the great philosophers question everything. The great scientists question everything.

DavenRock [MGT] likes this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

We come to expect this because it is a legitimate problem. People have paid thousands of dollars for digital property, and with property comes property rights. One could expect with property rights comes the right to remove unwanted people from said property. It is not a new idea, property rights are the foundation of the constitution. Its not a social media thing, but you can use the same idea for social media. Why do people block and ban people on social media? Because they are not wanted for some reason or another. It is their own personal page and they let who they want on it. Sure question everything, but if the questions have already been answered in multiple pages on the same thread, then it gets tiresome.

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

For those who have ears to hear let them hear.

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It is also not my fault that you didn't read my posts. I already said I wasn't against people having the right to ban.

Therefore you are angry with me for simply pondering the other side of the coin. And that is where rigid thinking is the killer of creativity and free thought and speech.

Let's be free to see it from all angles.

20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I don't take part in reality due to its lack of features. Worst .. game .. ever.

Phenom Ill Il IlI l and Spoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.