Bars and taverns in New Britannia!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Doppelganger [MGT], Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

While bars and taverns in RPG's are nothing new to Ultima games, I would love to see some creative ones in SotA! A place where players can go meet other people, have a drink with some in game $$ and converse with NPC's and such. Another aspect of this that I think could add interest, would be to have highly sought after brews and recipes only available at certain taverns on the map, or even seasonally. For example: the Lord British High Ale is only available in "_______" during summer months.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss all things bars and taverns, as well as discuss and advertise your own ideas in regards to them! Cheers fellow adventurers :D

Time Lord, gtesser, kiamzonm and 4 others like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Well, we know of one currently: FireLotus Tavern. I'm sure that will be a hot spot, but would love to hear about any others!

Time Lord, TigerKhan and Doppelganger like this.
  3. Doppelganger [MGT]

^ I just stumbled on this: Bear Tavern. Another tavern arises!

Clearly there is more to hash out in regards to such places, but I am sure they'll be great once all of the details are sorted out. It just can't be a good RPG without a place to grab a good mug of ale and some gossip ;)

4. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Vallas (Beran’s Reach) Avatar

Well I can speak on behalf of The Bear. We've been formed since mid 2013, and have been steadily growing since. We're more than happy to pitch in and help with any projects, happy to answer PMs and general questions. :)

5. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

I used to think the same thing, but now that we know it's not located on the mainland I'm not so sure.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Im down for this as long as we have floggers and ropes... Just saying muhaha

Time Lord likes this.
  7. stile

stile Avatar

Caverns, Dungeons and Beyond shall have a Pub by the name of "The Stone Mug". Name could change should I come across something I like better (Current name compliments of Wsye.. not nearly as cool as the shop name he came up with for me of "Sundries from Beneath").

Think something similiar to the Bear Tavern, but not a guild based around the tavern rather one of many shops I hope to offer for the public. Unsure at this time which house type will be used for this but it will be a village plot, with ability to chooose any type of village house.. just unsure yet what the best choice will be :). May be Knights.. may be a viking.

Obvioulsy it will unfortunately probally not be grouped with the other buildings of Cavernms, Dungeons, and Beyond initally but in time I hope to trade with players until I can get things grouped. At this time The Caverns Dungeons and Beyond has 3 Village land plots with multiple housing choice types to place for public use (this has been a group effort by friends, family, and myself). A vendor shop, a Pub, and.. unsure as of yet on the third (possibly a crafting hall, but only if i can get it placed next to the shop..otherwise the shop will double as a crafting hall as an attraction draw). Additionally two guild members have knight level houses for their personal use that i hope to establish in the same area.

Definitely want a Pub, and its a done deal.. but I have longer term plans of a small player town/community.

I hope to enlist players (do not have to be guild members), to take shifts in the tavern on a voulenteer basis of what they want that fits their schedule. A shift would be an hour long (or longer), scheduled when they want. It would be puclic that on x days, at x-times there will be live staff at the pub. I hope to also incorporate/host many public/community events at it and also use it as a meeting/start-up place before grouping with others for other events. Just to name a few of my plans. I don't advertise much on this stuff heavily yet as Ill wait until Episode one releases to really get going with things. I MAY have somone that will be managing the pub (hey, I have to delegate), but that is to far away for them to determine at this time based on some life unknowns. so I may or may not be looking for a pub manager down the road :)

I ran a succesfull pub for many years on UO Catskills as well as was a participant with another. I use to make sure I took an hour shift at each establishment per week, myself.

Time Lord, Count Napoli and Sedoratha like this.
  8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Interesting topic!

I hadn't thought about it before, but I can see how pubs are underutilized in MMOs.

Where else could we find pubs? Under a very large world tree stump? In a safe area of a hidden pirate den? At the top of a rock pinnacle? On a small island in the ocean?

How could wayward pubs have a game mechanic that made them fun to find and hang out in?

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

Is it possible,to have a thieves or assassins tavern, where maybe contracts are made and signed over a pint! I'm sure there is a market for the dark path followers to have a drink and congregate in, not only restricted to a guild either, that'd be a "good" thing me thinks.

Time Lord and Turquois like this.
  10. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

What you do in The Bear Tavern is your business....

11. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Nah, just a highly judgemental , quick to anger and heavily armed guard service that keeps the peace. :)

12. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I defiitely look forward to selling kegs of my finest brew to the local establishments. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I would like to see many taverns take on a darker approach, similar to the Prancing Pony from the LotR universe(if it itself was a little darker also). Of course there is much drink... but there should be many quiet nooks within where shady bards can make shady deals, and perform for their audience.

14. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

15. Doppelganger [MGT]

I think this type of thing would happen by default. Bars and taverns will attract all types of different players at random and you're bound to get the occasional shady character!

Time Lord and Vallas like this.
  16. Valdric

Valdric Avatar

Would love to open and run a pub in Shroud, as I'm a cook in the real world.

Shady, rowdy, and darker — all the better.

17. monxter

monxter Avatar

All you need is a house, a vendor and brewing skill to make your drinks! :)
    Set up a few tables and chairs, some decorations and there ya go.... people could stop by for a pint if you stack your vendor with beer.

18. Doppelganger [MGT]

All this talk about beer, makes me wish I had a mug of ale right now! mmm.

Burnden Park, Time Lord and monxter like this.
  19. Doppelganger [MGT]

With this being a thread directly relating to bars/taverns in New Britannia, I wanted to give a shout out to Bear Tavern who is currently seeking members to join. They seem like a very cool guild that offers much in the way of opportunities, fun, companionship and drinkery. Check them out to see if they are your speed! Some additional information can be found here Who/what the heck is Bear Tavern?

Time Lord, vodalion and Vallas like this.
  20. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

What about this for a pub-related idea? (If it's technically feasible - developers may shriek and run away at this point!)

Suppose that the movement controls that we all know and love (!) had a "sensitivity" factor built in. Normally it's at 100% - your avatar is nicely responsive to WASD + mouse input. After a few ales (say 5....) sensitivity drops to 50%.

Hey - how come I can't walk so good any more? And why do I keep crashing into walls?

After 12 ales your avatar should be horizontal and immobile.

The effect wears off according to a clever mathematical/time formula.

Moral: drink AFTER adventuring, not before;)

Any support for an "inebriation effect"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.