Belated Hello and Question

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by blacksheepboy, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacksheepboy

blacksheepboy Avatar

Hey there everyone,

Wanted to say howdy. I've been playing for about a week and really loving the game and community. Kudos to the developers and all of the really nice people I've met along the way so far.

Question: My sister and I started playing together, and we seem to run into walls here and there--we'll be running around, slaying things just fine and then will get whacked by a sudden orange named creature. I was curious if anyone knows of sort of just-post-newbie zones (we love the quests!) that we could be steered toward spoiler-free? So far we have almost finished the Vale and done Path of Love until Necropolis / Shuttered Eye (not sure what you're supposed to do first, but both are probably too hard for us!) We seem to do decently in 3 skull zones, but want to find completed scenes with story / lore.

Also feel free to say hi if you see us! My name is Janus Trask and my sister is Lavinia Trask.

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Greetings and welcome to New Britannia and Novia.

Almost all scenes have some higher level adversaries hidden in the corners/shadows.

The recommendation then would be to head to other starter areas.

Just outside of Brittany Central you can find a ferry that takes you to the Hidden Vale, take that and you will end up in Kingsport, follow the road west and then south to find Braemar.

If you have already done that then head towards Bloodriver or Highvale for the other starter areas. Although the quests there are not as polished.

Also a side note, when you did Ardoris did you find all the side quests there? If you only did the love-line ones then go back and talk to the other NPCs some more, especially the ones down by the docks.

*tips hat*
    I'm Spoon in game as well, please feel free to friend or whisper me.

3. Acred

Acred Avatar

Hello, @blacksheepboy . My avatar Trufall Selarts ran into you a few days ago, so I'm already on your friends list. I hope to run into Janus Trask in-game more often.

Welcome to both you and Lavinia Trask!

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Welcome to the Trasks :)

5. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the both of you! Hope you'll have a great time :)

6. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Welcome ( @blacksheepboy ) Janus and Lavinia!!!

Feel free to add me as your friend. Whisper if you need any help, advice or just company :)

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome to Shrouds @blacksheepboy and also welcome to your sister. I am Majoria in game and would love to help anytime as well. :)

8. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

let me know when you find some :p

and welcome!

9. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

A key thing to learn is when to run away, although that's something I have a lot of difficulty with myself :)

If you've not explored the underground areas yet then I recommend checking them out - start in Ardoris sewers and see if you can find your way to Soltown or Solania. Also the Kiln Cistern is quite a fun puzzle dungeon for two or more players.

11. blacksheepboy

blacksheepboy Avatar

Many thanks for the big welcome and offers to help! And hi again @Acred nice to see you on the forums as well as in game.

@GrayFog I created a list of all areas that had been actively worked on by the developers and listed their difficulty rating. Check it out if you'd like!

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Welcome to the SotA family, blacksheepboy!

blacksheepboy likes this.
  13. Lavinia Trask

Lavinia Trask Avatar

Hi everyone; I am Lavinia Trask, OP's sister!

Corollary to Janus'/blacksheepboy's excellent introduction and question: Has anyone progressed in the Path of Truth past Jaanaford? R38 release notes say you can get to Xenos.

Also, super bummed we didn't win a lot deed in the R37 raffle; better luck next time! We don't really have a spot in mind for where we might like to 'settle down'... Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for cool POTs or, much less likely, NPC towns that still have space available? We're shooting to have a village lot...

Looking forward to seeing you in game!

Lavinia Trask

14. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Glad to have you with us, Lavinia! I don't know of any NPC towns with lots available but there are bound to be some (and I'm sure other community members will let you know).

The Path of Truth is the only path I haven't started. I've finished Love and according to release notes, you can finish Courage now... Truth is still a work in progress so I'm not sure how far you can get yet.

I know I haven't been much help - just wanted to welcome you to the game.

15. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Please come visit PaxLair we have lots available. PM me if interested. Same name in game.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome biancascura again to the Shrouds. Now it depends on what you are looking for in your town. There are many choices. Some towns will be role-playing type of towns or guild towns but of course many don't limit inviting new comers to their towns. Also to consider do you like a town with a certain look? For example Wizards Rest is a snowy climate. It is located in Hidden Vale behind Owlshead and looks like this. Anyone is welcome. This is not a guild town and we have many great people in town from different guilds. You can usually see someone in town to say hello to and for now I am managing the town. I'm Majoria in the game. We also have a residents house for any who don't have a deed to hang their hat which is of course no charge and free to help others get started in the game :)
    [​IMG]

biancascura and By Tor like this.
  17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

There are several village lots available in Storm's Reach!

18. Lavinia Trask

Lavinia Trask Avatar

Thanks By Tor for the welcome! If I find anything out, I'll post it here. We're also working on the Path of Courage and Love.

Thanks Sean Silverfoot. We'll have to visit PaxLair again; would be fun to be a part of such a historic group of Ultima players!

Thanks Majoria. Those are some very good points for us to consider! We are indeed looking for an RP town, though we haven't yet figured out our own back stories in great detail... I've been to Wizard's Rest; it's nice!

Thanks Black Tortoise for letting us know about Storm's Reach and for the helpful link! That map application is really amazing. We'll have to check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.