Berserk Stance Debuff: Resist vs Avoidance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Black Swordsman, Aug 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radioman USN

Radioman USN Avatar

Trying to figure out the logic behind why Berserker Stance impacts damage resistance versus damage avoidance?

Logically speaking or theory craft speaking, your resistance to damage would not be impacted just because you're in a berserking rage, especially if wearing heavy plate armor. Your armor doesn't simply become brittle because the person inside is berserking. But your avoidance, however, would. You would still resist based off of strength, armor and magical resist buffs but you're not really paying attention to avoiding incoming damage when berserking.

My first assumption is that it was designed this way to make heavy plate wearing melee individuals from gaining advantage, and/or they wanted to give ranged YET another advantage since most range focus more on avoidance over resist anyways.

I'd assume it would work very similar to Berserk in Bludgeon.

2. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

There are many instances I've encountered when trying to mastermind a build which seem to undermine expectations or misdirect conventional RPG logic - I don't think its negligence.

Every time I try to explain how I understand it, it seems like im just redundantly explaining the obvious..

If you're going to get punched in the stomach, and you don't know or expect the blow - its going to hurt more...
    If you instead are fighting with a defensive mindset (stance) said blow to the gut won't affect you as much...

I don' t know.. Most of my hours in this game are probably staring at the skills screen a bit confounded. I do know though, that the light armor tree has Evasion skill which increases avoidance --- So in a bizarre roundabout of logic - when you go into a berserk stance, you will not be focusing on evading as much, and so then logically berserk stance would decrease your avoidance, right?

o_O

But thats what you're getting at, isn't it?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Godo likes this.
  3. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

This would actually be a very much needed balance. This make so much more sense..... and would still be a major detriment. Problem is.... you can berserk in full plate..... plus the damage resistance spells such as earth embrace and all the passive would lead to a berserker using a shield and blocking EVERYTHING. They need to restrist berserk stance to light armor and kill all avoidance completly. The reason you cant switch DR to Avoidance would just make SPEAR/SHIELD OP with berserker stance. Run the numbers... you'll see. But I love the idea regardless.

Maybe have berserker unequip shields automatically...

Godo and Girlsname like this.
  4. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

No see its called berserk just to make sure we all go berserk trying to rationalize it :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Mac2 and Godo like this.
  5. Radioman USN

Radioman USN Avatar

That was my thinking. Damage Resistance of equipment doesn't change because of a "different state of mind" if that is how you want to classify it.

Berserk in the Bludgeon tree has it completely right. It reduces avoidance, not resistance. But going back to my rationale that the developers are seemingly disinterested in making any skill trees viable outside of air tactics archers, I do not believe they would correct this obvious flaw in Berserker Stance.

6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

One thing that I remember from Chris explaining Damage Resistance VS Avoidance is that Avoidance grants "Glancing Blows". Glacing blows are when the hit actually barely misses you, or kinda rubs off your armor. Someone who is berserked will actually be moving so unpredictably that you will still have hits which weren't on target and still end up being a glancing blow, but when you do hit the person, you might hit them HARD, like REALLY HARD.

Meanwhile, The Berserk skill in the bludegeon tree is acting more along the lines of putting more of you concentration in getting a big hit, and thus being more predictable in your movements, which makes it easier to hit you spot on.

I don't know if this answers your question, but this is my way of making sense of these 2 skills the way Chris explained them!

7. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Yeah - perhaps its just the name of the skill throwing us off - maybe if we imagine it having a different name we can move on and slay some evil monsters like good avatars. :cool:

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.