Best-looking running (with weapon) animation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rusalka, Oct 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rusalka

Rusalka Avatar

Hello, new player here. Today I tried dual-wielding a sword and a dagger, and while the idle stance looks great, the running animation is pretty awkward to the point that I don't think I can stand it for long. Same for shields, great when standing, silly when running.

What are some of the better weapon choices, aesthetically speaking? Or are these animations all placeholders and that we can expect a big change before release? Thanks!

Salix and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  2. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

2h sword is pretty good. Also generally speaking one of the best if not the best weapon choices available at the moment as well.

3. Rusalka

Rusalka Avatar

Thank you, I'll try it out when I find a vendor that sells them. I bought a Longsword thinking it was 2H...o_O

4. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

The Jedi "eye poking" run from SWG. Mama musta never told'em to not run with sabers. Imagine Forrest Gump holding the wrong end of a neon whiffle bat in full sprint.

Proteus Tempest likes this.
  5. matpsch

matpsch Developer Emeritus

Unfortunately the issue is the left arm. When you equip a weapon or shield in your left arm, it plays a static pose so the arm actually isn't really animating when you run.

This is something we hope to get fixed and polished but, unfortunately for now, that is why things look funny to you when you run in combat with a shield or weapon in both arms.

6. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

soon (tm)

matpsch likes this.
  7. Rusalka

Rusalka Avatar

In this case, I can try not run in combat for now or not equip anything in left hand slot. Thank you for clearing this up!

8. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Might be better for your Avatars health to just ignore it. :p

Rusalka likes this.
  9. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Not sure if it's still the same, but these used to be very hard to find on NPC vendors. Let me know if you still need one and I will mail one to you.

10. Rusalka

Rusalka Avatar

Thank you @Lazlo! I'll see if I can craft one myself after leveling blacksmithing.

Lazlo likes this.
  11. matpsch

matpsch Developer Emeritus

Brilliant news! After reading this thread, I was reminded about the problem and gave it another look and was able to figure out the tech to get the arms to animate when moving in combat, something that we were never quite sure how to do until now. So, going forward, wielding shields and off-hand weapons won't look so stiff anymore, HUZZAH!

Thanks for bringing this up, as it spurred me to look into it sooner rather than later. ;)

Grimbone, Spoon, Hornpipe and 6 others like this.
  12. Rusalka

Rusalka Avatar

That's indeed awesome! Any plans to change staff idle animation? Ok I'm probably being greedy here...:p

Staff wielders may benefit from a calmer, more controlled stance, something akin to
    [​IMG]

And leave the current animation for quarterstaff only as it makes more sense? Anyone? :rolleyes:

matpsch and PhantasmalX like this.
  13. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Would be great if the idle animation was similar to that of the cane, but both were given proper walking and running animations. Maybe a little tapping sound effect added to the footsteps and even when casting certain spells that may have the butt of the staff hit the ground hard.

Rusalka likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.