Best Ultima Game?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Anais de Quoi, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

If you are only going to play one, then U7 is the best to play. Still favor U7.5 myself, but I am in it so I am a little biased. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Liz

Liz Avatar

See WtF Dragon, Ultima 7 was so compelling that I didn't need combat at all. It was just something you had to go through, but it was far from being the center of the game like it is in almost all other RPGs since then. U7 was great because of its storyline, its deep gameplay (other than the combat), its living breathing world. U7 part 1 and 2 together are my favorite games of all time.. by far.

The great thing is, it's not just nostalgia like with so many other games. I am playing Black Gate again at the moment and it still manages to completely suck me into this other world, it's magical really. (sorry for sounding corny).

3. ahninjas

ahninjas Avatar

Ultima 7, and for the love of god, play it with Exult. It was hard enough to get running on a real DOS machine, I can't imagine trying to make it work without Exult, or DOSBox at the very least.

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Avatar

Ultima VII was the first true virtual 'world' I played in. I remember, on reading the manual, and finally getting to Britain the first time, actually finding Batlin, and thinking "He's obviously in with that red guy who stuck his head through my monitor, so let's chop his head off!" and... failing spectacularly as he beat me, Iolo, and Anaki..err. Sparks to death with his menorah stick.

I remember going back several times as I got better gear, more companions, and trying it again, to pretty much the same effect.

And, when I got the black sword, I thought "finally, he's going down, I have the touch of death now!"... and the sword, that will actually kill LB, refused to kill him..

5. Cleome Arachnid

Cleome Arachnid Avatar

What is exult and how do I play it with the exult thingy? It was slightly unwieldy yesterday when I tried it without.

6. Grimsley

Grimsley Avatar

Definitely The Black Gate. Was so memorable and is actually my favorite RPG of all time. Planescape: Torment comes very close, though it was strongly influenced by Ultima 7 so it cant take its crown from me.

7. Moonlight

Moonlight Avatar

Exult is a fan-made application that acts as a sort of software overlay over a legal copy of Ultima VII (and you need a legal copy) that allows it to be played in modern operating systems, I would recommend against using it and go with straight-up dosbox though. Exult does some odd things to combat and movement AI so it's not a true U7 experience, at least in my humble opinion

Funny that I'm a purist about U7 when as far as U3, I much preferred the NES version of the game, given the better graphics, (seriously, the PC version used a clunky CGA 4 color pallete, 2 of which were white and black -.-) musical soundtrack, and the fact that in Ultima: Exodus, LB actually -was- unkillable

8. cor2879

cor2879 Avatar

Exult is pretty sweet, but now that the Gog.com version of Ultima 7 is available, it is no longer required to play the game. Plus I find some things like the original music and sound effects come through without Exult.

However Exult does add some nice features as well so it's worth trying the game with it at some point.

Regarding being purist, Moonlight, I don't find fault in your preference of the NES version of U3. I like it better than the PC version as well, though I would really like to try the C64 version some day.

9. Kazin

Kazin Avatar

Ultima VII: TBG, followed closely by SI. I'm still fond of Pagan as well, in spit of the unfortunate gameplay.

10. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

@Corv

<blockquote>See WtF Dragon, Ultima 7 was so compelling that I didn?t need combat at all.</blockquote>

The virtual world aspects of the game were certainly compelling. The plot was...okay. I much preferred <em>Ultima 6's</em> story.

<blockquote>It was just something you had to go through, but it was far from being the center of the game like it is in almost all other RPGs since then.</blockquote>

Correct, more or less; it was a burden to be borne. But equally, combat was not at the center of <em>Ultima 6</em> either, and in fact I would argue that <em>Ultima 6</em> is the one game in the series that can be completed without having to kill more than 3 enemies. Combat is absolutely not a central aspect of that game...but even so, it has a quite decent combat system.

<blockquote>U7 was great because of its storyline, its deep gameplay (other than the combat), its living breathing world. U7 part 1 and 2 together are my favorite games of all time.. by far.</blockquote>

I'll give you <em>Serpent Isle</em> for storyline...but in the end, unless you're playing either <em>The Black Gate</em> or <em>Serpent Isle</em> in a very obtuse kind of way, combat is a significant part of gameplay in the sense that it happens rather often.

And it's just a bad combat system, so much so that it's nearly immersion-breaking.

Don't get me wrong, combat doesn't have to be at the center of a game...but especially in a game where the virtual world aspect is intended to be played up, especially in a game with lots of side quests and the possibility for exploration, combat needs to be peppy. It's paradoxical, but you really want fast, intense, and fun combat in a game that otherwise invites you to take it slow and look behind just one more rock, just to see...because otherwise the combat is a tedious chore that risks punting the player out of the experience entirely, as opposed to something engaging (but quick) that peppers the exploration experience at intervals.

11. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

Ultima V (and I'll have to lump in Ultima V: Lazarus which greatly fleshed out the themes and characterizations). Although Ultima IV helped me strive to be a better person, Ultima V helped me understand the implications of forcing people to do good and the corruption of intent.

Ultima V proved to be a deeper and darker philosophical game compared to any of the rest and that's what stood out for me as well as the introduction of being able to manipulate objects in world which was really cool for its time.

12. Liz

Liz Avatar

@Anais de Quoi: Go here: http://exult.sourceforge.net/ and click on "Download" on top. Get the latest version and isntall it. It will ask you where your (legal) copy of Ultima VII and Serpent Isle (if you have that too) is and then you can start it. Very simple. Ultima VII works perfectly with it.

It's simply an emulator for Ultima VII. It's not the game itself. U7 had a rather strange memory management etc so it's difficult to get it to run. Exult is teh easiest way.

13. cor2879

cor2879 Avatar

The Gog.com version comes with Dosbox and is pretty easy to run now.

14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I think GOG uses a version of DOSBOX tailored to the specific game, and most run flawlessly. I have tons of GOG games and most run better than the originals did. :)

I have never tried Exult, but I tend to not like engines that are built for just one game. If DOSBOX is configured properly it should be just like running the game in DOS on the best PC available when it was originally released. Problem is DOSBOX can be hard to configure, but with GOG taking that out of your hands all is good.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

The GOG versions should sit up and bark on most systems without hassle, and there are also Mac-specific versions available for those of you running OS X. Which I think still just use DOSBox as a wrapper, although I'm not sure whether they use vanilla DOSBox or something like Boxer.

And really, the games are fully playable that way.

<em>Exult</em> is awesome, of course, and introduces a lot of neat tweaks and features, as well as better scalers for playing the game at higher resolution. And it works with the GOG versions of the games.

In the end, it's a YMMV thing.

16. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/ultima_7_complete ULTIMA 7!!! That's the one you want. Richard Garriott said, "I think the first 4 Ultimas, I was just learning the programming, and borrowing quest lines from others, like Tolkien". Still, they're all pretty amazing, especially for their time; seriously. I've played them all, and Ultima VII beats the pants off the rest for me. :)

17. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

https://d2sx9mrt4zumaq.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/U7_Guardian.gif he he! Here you go, Ultima 7 fans! I DARE YOU TO CLICK IT AND SEE A FAMILIAR FACE. lol...

18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Ultima V in retrospective had the best story, but I enjoyed Ultima VII so much because the world seemed so immersive for the type.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Baron Daniello

Baron Daniello Avatar

I really enjoyed playing I through VI. If I have to pick I think V was my all-time favorite. I bought VII when it came out, but never made it all the way through so I just bought it again on GOG and started to play. I forgot how much I loved this series!

20. Zelgalad

Zelgalad Avatar

I'm 28, my first Ultima was UO and I didn't tried the old ones till i was around my 20s.

Last summer I bought, played and finished all Ultimas except UVII Part 2 &amp; Ultima VIII.

For strange it could appear, my favourite isn't VII. My favourite are Ultimas I-V. That's why i'm not against the dual scale view. For me it's very inmmersive but i don't know exactly why.

BTW I loved details like in U5 when you camp and Lord British's image appears with Stones playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.