Best Ultima Game?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Anais de Quoi, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vaped

vaped Avatar

Ultima 7, when my parents first bought me a pc in my teens, ultima 7 black gate was part of the pc package....i installed it and ...wow....first time on a pc and playing a rpg game...it really makes me believe i was in the other world. The storyline, the graphics then..and the witty scripts the npc says..And the moral questions that the story throws at you....then UO came out...had a blast with my elder bro, cousin and my bro's friend, joined guilds...made friends from another part of the world...i have not completed skyrim yet but...i dont feel like im in that world unlike Ultima 7, perhaps only WOW is another game that i feel abit like im in that world. Ultima 7 and UO will always have a special place....and i found abt this game via a PC pullout from my local papers...i saw lord british and sota..and here i am. Managed to pledge just before the grace period ends :)

2. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

I am going to be the devils advocate here and say: Ultima 8. I know that this game is probably the most hated by most Ultima fans, behind Ultima 9, but I thought Ultima 8, although missing things, had an excellent atmosphere and set the avatar in a very different situation than what we were used to. It had a mystery to it that made me use a lot of time getting to know every detail about the world and its history I could, through npc dialogues and books. I do agree with those who say U9 is the worst of them though, the story there was a sad ending of the "Guardian trilogy"
    Evil twin my ass

Cormac likes this.
  3. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Ultima VII is probably the most fun to explore and holds a special place in my heart during the time I was playing it.

4. Pyro

Pyro Avatar

Ultima VI for me. I don't see much of it, but it holds a special place for me personally. the open world, and the way everything flowed together felt great to me. contained some of the best spells ever. "Animate" "Vanish" "Replicate" "Clone"

I spent countless hours running around the world, finding, and breaking up skirmishes of swashbucklers, trolls, headless, etc.

Also, Ultima 7 -- very well executed, amazing graphics at the time, all around good time. Ultima 6 is still my home, though.

Ultima Codex likes this.
  5. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

Ultima V is my favourite, followed closely by Ultima VII and VII:2 :)

Loved V so much that working on the Lazarus remake was like a dream come true, haha. :)

6. Caveloot.com Owner

Caveloot.com Owner Avatar

3 Was always my favorite but im biased as it was the first computer game I ever played and I was sucked in and hooked hard core. I played that thing so much I Still remember most of the secrets to the game, Easter eggs, hidden spots.. I can still visualize most of the castle layout, maps, the hidden town you found when the moon position was 0, 0, in the forest south of Lord British's castle to which you found out about when you got the mark of fire and walked through the lava, etc.... and that was 30ish years ago since I last played. After that I think I would say 7, although I don't remember it as well it was fantastic.

7. Francois424

Francois424 Avatar

My favorite is defenitely Ultima5. That game was so damned hard (until you know the trick to Lord British's Treasure) and even with that, mistakes cost you dearly.
    Plus, the story is awesome, I really dig into the lore of that game, and it managed to reproduce the "Dark feeling" extremly well. The Lazarus remake was extremly good, as well, the the game seems to have less of a dark tone for some reason.

I would say my favorite list goes like this, from best to worse
    - U5 > U7 > U4 > U3 (it's mechanicaly ackward and annoying to play, it needs a good remake) > U8 > U7p2 = U9 > U6 (I cannot stand that game engine).

Explanation :
    U5 is my favorite, it's hard, you had to search the whole map for your companions, love that whole theme with Blackthorn, Shadowlords, and tough critters, an underworld that was hard as heck. Plus you got to get Mariah in your PT again, I missed her in the other games... Gotta have the hot mage chick in your party... most definitely; lol. The dialogs in U5 Lazarus are FANTASTIC ! I strongly encourage anyone that didnt play it to try it if ONLY for the dialogues.
    [EDIT] Oh, Hi Shadow of Light; long time no see since the U5:L forums, was what ? 2005-2006 ? hope you're doing well.

U7 was epic tho much easier than U5, lots of fun moments in that one... Companions talks and argue between themselves

U4 has such freedom built into it, it's how any RPGs should be made... Took a while to my 11yo brain to figure it out, but I did and managed to become the avatar on my own wthout walktru. Good times.

U3 was my first ultima; I never managed to finish it, but it was LOADS of fun. I long for a proper remake of that one with unified inventory/food or flat out using Serpent's Isle engine or something like it.

U8 was... unique. Barring frustrating/odd moments in the game, I really liked it. I read most of the library books in-game and it reveals lots about the background (the booklet that comes with the game is awesome too).

U7p2 has the best engine of any ultima game for paperdoll/inventory management IMHO, belt pouches or sheeted weapon, shield at your back, carrying bodies on your shoulders, rings, amulets, lots of magic items... I didnt like the story much tho I'll be honest. But the mechanics are AWESOME. (and I was able to re-play my U7 in exult with that engine... sweetness)

U9 had awesome graphics... It kept crashing, had serious performace issues (even on my P3/500 w/3D accelerator). The world was ultra linear, and the story was so-so. I was hyped at the beggining of it's development and the early scketches showed boats you could move (much like U5, replacing your avatar) and all that stuff. Then bad things happened and we got the halved version or something. U9 could use a good remake too (so that makes U3, U6, and U9... and RG would remake U8 too... that would be awesome). I felt U9 was too repetitive. The plot is really simple: get to the town, learn a little about what's going on, do the dongeon, get the sigil, learn the Mantra, do the ritual; rince'n'repeat. Now there was a part like that in U5 with the codex quests, but it didn't feel repetitive because of the non-linearity. The world is also very very small; but might have been a hardware thing of the era... it felt smaller than U3.

U6... I tried, I really, really really did. Multiple times. The story looks awesome, but I just cant get into the engine. I guess I will wait for an exult version as well if it is ever finished.

I did play U1 and U2, but I didnt fancy them much. I liked how you got food at McDonalds and that Lord British "Sold" you HPs in U2. But after a while I got bored of it.

Wsye likes this.
  8. Caveloot.com Owner

Caveloot.com Owner Avatar

Id very much like to see all the ultima games re-made with more modern graphics and for the mobile platform. I could really get into replaying 3+ on my phone while out and about.

9. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Ultima Online, are you with us!:D "The Ancient"

[​IMG][​IMG]

BillRoy and Montaigne like this.
  10. Eman77

Eman77 Avatar

I'd have to say Ultima IV for me. It got me hooked, and I played it multiple times. That was when I had nothing but time at my disposal, and enjoyed it immensely. Ultima III is also up there - I really enjoyed getting the magic items on the "lost continent" and the general feel of the game.

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It's hard to say what the best Ultima game is. The single player ultima games shouldn't be counted in the same catagory as UO. Ultima Online had a much longer game time experience. In fact a player could have played it 15 years nonstop and never finish the game.

BillRoy likes this.
  12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Ultima IV is my favorite - but that's primarily the nostalgia talking. I know it's incredibly dated now.. but I still fondly remember playing it countless hours late into the night. Best gaming experience for me ever.

13. Espada

Espada Avatar

Ultima IV - Thank you parents for "making" a 5-year-old get introduced to computer gaming.

Ultima VII - I must confess.. My parents aren't responsible for this "self-inflicted-addiction!" (I wonder if this statement even makes sense...)

Ultima Online - MMORPG? Felucca? Open pvp? Full Loot? Housing? Camping IDOCs? Faction warfare? Need to say more?

Good times..

Nostalgia +1

14. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

My favorite Ultima game was VII: The Black Gate. It had a very mature and intricate story that surpassed even its awesome predecessors. My second favorite Ultima experience would have to be Ultima V: Lazarus, the remake of Warriors of Destiny on the Dungeon Siege engine. If any of you haven't played that, do yourself a favor, pick up Dungeon Siege (dirt cheap, if you don't have it already) and treat yourself to the free download for Ultima V: Lazarus. You won't be disappointed! Coming in at third place for me would have to be the first one I played, Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar on the original 8-bit NES. That one is still great fun, even by todays standards!

15. Sir Edreamer _MGT470

Sir Edreamer _MGT470 Avatar

Ultima VII The Black Gate has to be my favourite (Serpent Isle was great and improved on TBG in many ways, but the fact there were fewer towns and very few people in the northern half of the map made the game for me feel comparitively lonelier.)

I love the way they used Speech (if you had it) for the Guardian's voice in that game - very effective when the rest of the game had no speech. I jumped several times when he'd boom in unexpectedly or laugh evilly.
    They carried that on as the story progressed through Serpent Isle, Ultima Underworld 2 and Ultime VIII

I agree with what people say here about Ultima VIII - I really liked it. It felt dark and lonely but immersive; I quite liked the relationship you developed with each of the Titans and their magic, and of course the iconic intro at the docks.
    I was especially impressed when I upgraded to a wavetable soundcard and could really enjoy the music - there's a couple of youtube posts with the music played through different cards but this one is exactly how Tenebrae sounded to me
    - the music still gives me goosebumps !

Cormac and skinned like this.
  16. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Not top much mention of Underworld here. Such a awesome dungeon hack experience, especially for the year it was released.
    U4 simply epic non_linear rpg. Could not complete at the time without help of faq and hex editing and mounds of pen and paper notes. Still have some notes sprawled on papers somewhere.
    U3 epic dungeon game with killer music for it's time and a great sense of exploration. Everything including cover art and book adds to that experience.
    U7, best overall gameplay but dungeons IMO were not the best, more like caves, but I don't remember that well. Very addicting and story with the Guardian was epic. The continuing theme with the Avatar being summoned from Earth is a huge success.
    U8, U9 hated them with passion. These games left too much good ideas behind imho.

In general all Ultima have excellent endings also. At least the ones I played.

All of them should be re released, not like the crappy EA version which do not sound the same and therefor not experienced the same as the originals.

Martel likes this.
  17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

There are a lot of aspects of U8 I really loved. I liked the new magic system and the new lands to explore. I liked that the Avatar was forced somewhat along a dark path. I loved the truly alien and unique look of the world to explore. U8 gets a bad rap.

U9 was just really disappointing on so many levels.

U5 and Serpent Isle are my favorites.

18. Sir Edreamer _MGT470

Sir Edreamer _MGT470 Avatar

The Ultima Underworld games were certainly groundbreaking at the time. Anyone playing through the Guardian Trilogy (Ultimas 7, 7-2, 8 and 9) if you want all the story you should play UW2 betweein the two parts of Ultima VII
    You don't have to know anything from UW2 to enjoy Serpent Isle but it makes a great interim chapter and adds further depth to the Guardian and his aims.

By the time I played the Underworld games myself UW1 seemed to be relatively forgotten over the hype from II, but I found it very enjoyable. The levels are very themically structured eg certain denizen groups live on each level. I like how you get to converse with many of those denizens - it's not all Avatar vs the Monsters, and you get to interact and quest for all manner of creatures.

I wonder if anyone has recreated Underworld I/II as mods for more recent games, doesn't look like it from a quick google search but I'd love to stand corrected...

Martel likes this.
  19. lanica

lanica Avatar

Ultima 8 could have been awesome. There were so many small things that added up to large things that made a lot of people not like it.

Doppelganger likes this.
  20. lanica

lanica Avatar

I also had such fond memories of playing Ultima 7 on the iPhone.... oh wait...that hasn't happened yet.

[​IMG]

...Or has it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.