Best way to maximize producer XP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Hi all,

I must be doing something wrong. Even with double producer XP and my spending hours in the Elysium Mines whacking at every node I see, my producer XP just isn't increasing that quickly. I get SO much more combat XP in the same amount of time. Oh, and I have all of my mining skills turned off.

I want to spend more time crafting in game, but without a decent sized pool of XP, it's not worth it. And I can't seem to get much more than 250k producer XP. The second I craft a few items I'm right back down.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

For me, having 5000 wolf heads has been my best way to get prod XP (400 / 2000 xp a pop). I also started with food, creating 20 of just about everything made, this gave me over a million xp in ~3 hours.

Oyjord Hansen, Jaesun and StarLord like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I got mine up to over a million yesterday. I've always had an issue with maintaining a sizable producer xp pool, but it wasn't until last release that it was proven to me that the best source of producer xp is crafting, not gathering.

Find a recipe that you can craft reliably (95%), and get a whole bunch of resources to make it. If you can find one with low fuel costs, it helps keep the cost down. Turn off all of your craft skill (right click on the group in the skill UI and mark all as maintain). Then grind out as many as you can.

So for my session yesterday, I used Maple Binding, mostly because I had a ton of maple timber and wax, an unbreakable carpentry hammer, and a expert table. It took about 2500 combines to go from 600k to over 1m xp, but that was earning about 125k per hour. Plus, I'm not all the efficient since I'm watching Netflix while I did it; someone more dedicated would do much better, and I know there are higher xp per combine, but they also cost more in resources.

Oyjord Hansen and Jaesun like this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

How much per hour? It's hard to make judgements based on what you posted. But typically, producer XP is just slow. In normal XP times, the most a node (any kind) will ever give is 500, I think. Mobs can be in the several thousands, and tend to come to you. I've been mostly mining silver in Elysium as I want to level up my MW skills, which requires silver. So that's sort of a twofer, since Elysium is probably the best mine for producer XP, and I need a lot of silver ore. Other than that, farming spiders in Resolute Sewers is good. Not quite as much as Elysium, but the Adv XP is better, and if i get bored, I can pop over to the Rise for a bit. You get okay XP for skinning the spiders, plus pretty good XP for turning the venom sacks into poison.

Potions, or hats?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  5. Crendel

Crendel Avatar

Look in your crafting book and any recipe that is level 50 or up and has bang for buck on resources. I am doing tons of wolf, stag, and bear head dresses. Only takes forever to craft and 20 a pop. At least I can multi task...time to go fold aome laundry

Oyjord Hansen, Jaesun and Daigoji Gai like this.
  6. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Obsidian bear/wolf is one of the best options, but you need lot of ingredients too (bit tedious for some people). For solo hunting, obsidian bear are probably the best, you get good xp from skinning and from cooking. If you are high level enough, you can do same with Dragon haunches/stews.

Also worth to say now we can get like 160k/h xp from just mining. In Elysium 80-85k/h was viable without double xp.

About the pool, my recommendation is to keep a big pool, like 5-6m producer xp (hard to get but worth of saving mats for mw/enchanting).

7. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I made imbued restoration potions.... I got 3k xp crits

Oyjord Hansen and Crendel like this.
  8. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Sounds like you are training a lot of your Crafting skills while you are crafting. Turn off all the skills that aren't important to you and only train the ones that you are really serious about. The more you have training, the quicker the XP Pool will drain. You might even want to turn off all training till after Double XP ends, then train. Here are a few tips to help:

• Making an item for the first time gives you bonus XP, so try to make items you've never made before. Some things I made gave me over 40k XP in one shot.
    • When you are mining/skinning/foraging use your right-mouse button to cancel out any Meticulous Collections. Yes, you will get less material but you will be able to get more XP/Hour.
    • Use Dash, Sprint, Fleet Flute,etc., to get to nodes or carcasses faster.
    • Don't try to compete for resources with others, as Producer XP is the same for Open and Party modes.
    • Find a place where a lot of resource nodes. The more nodes in a scene, or high value animals for skinning, the more efficent your XP/Hour will be.
    • The Highest value for resource gathering is 500xp(1000XP for Double XP). Don't waste your time with things worth less; Crystals, Reagents,etc.
    • Some quests give XP and it is currently doubled, so this may be an option as well. Turning in Arcane Catalysts(18) from Sieges to the Scout gives 24k XP.
    These are just a few ideas. Hope they help out!

9. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

I also mainly use mining for producer XP. Elysium allows for a very relaxed mining style (only few mobs, some safe spots if you need a brake) with up to 180K/h now (with Obsidian Potion of Expedience).
    Spectral Mines have a slightly higher XP rate, but you need to pay more attention.
    Will try the wolf heads during the livestream today.

10. Vodalion [BEAR]

Vodalion [BEAR] Avatar

I started off with wolf & bear headdresses and will soon move to cooking & carpentry .. (I´m going to produce 5 of each recipe i have on the book if i can get the mats required) ...

11. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I thought Obsidian Potion of Expedience only impacts how quickly you allocate pooled experience into skills. Does it also boost how much pooled experience you acquire?

12. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Doh, that's right. I've honestly not really noticed a 40% increase in gathering time despite it saying it's in effect. For example, on average it takes me like 5 seconds or so to mine a node. With the 40% bonus, I'd expect it to be like 3 seconds, but I honestly can't tell if it's any faster. I'm using True Bronze engraved pickaxe too.

So how does the math even work out?

If it takes 5 seconds to mine a node, and I have a 40% (potion) + 30% (kit) + 10% (gloves) bonus to gathering time, shouldn't that amount to a 70% decrease in the amount of time to gather a node? So, it should take 1.5 seconds on average instead?

Cumulative:
    5 - (5 * (.4 + .3 + .1)) = 1.5 seconds on average

Multiplicative:
    5 - (5 * (1 - .4) * (1-.3) * (1-.1)) = 1.89 seconds on average

Neither of these seem to align with what I'm actually seeing in game.

13. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Each resource that you gather doesn't have a set amount of time to gather it, rather it is variable from resource to resource. So, you can't say that each node takes x seconds to mine. Whatever a particular node requires to mine, you get a 40% reduction in that particular node. Bottom line is, some resources take longer to gather than others. I agree though that the 40% reduction doesn't seem noticeable, but you would have to know how long a particular node would have taken without the Time Reduction Gear/Buffs. I'm sure you could do an experiment, with and without the buffs/gear, over several hours and compare the resources gathered.

14. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

There has to be a min/max range on each node of a particular type. I'm estimating it's between 6-8s for an ore node before skills and other bonuses are calculated in. This is testable by creating a new character and mining with all mining skills locked at 1 and using a standard pickaxe.

15. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

In spectral mines I am making close to 180k per hour mining AND making Adventure exp while I am there fighting the Harden Skeletons

Oyjord Hansen and FrostII like this.
  16. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yes, there probably is, but it is most likely also dependent upon your Mining, and Swift Gathering(which also decreases mining time) skills. I'm guessing that maybe your main Mining skill might control the min/max time range for nodes. The % Chance of Success may also factor in to how long a given node takes to mine.

17. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

These have all been incredibly helpful threads, thank you!

But this is embarrassing:

I didn't know that, either! Oh man, I just logged on, maintained my crafting skills by group (thanks for the tips, didn't know you could do that, either!), and started crafting all kinds of junk. Look at that xp go up!

Thanks again, all!

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  18. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

The problem with crafting is that you need materials to craft...which can be extremely expensive, and of course limits your progression.

Does anyone know if there is a database somewhere that shows how much experience you get per craft for different recipes?

jessecerqueira likes this.
  19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I've started one, but I havn't gotten a lot of info for it yet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dVyCSEUki0lxjxTuBcd3XH9-0E/edit#gid=970237233

The first 10 or so you create get a multiplier to that amount that scales down quickly, and then a critical success gets a multiplier as well.

20. golruul

golruul Avatar

There was a similar thread discussing this and someone posted how "easy" it was to get 60 million producer XP or so in 144 hours by crafting teleport/recall scrolls. You needed 1.5 million gold or something to buy the reagents.

The poster provided the math and it was good as far as I could tell. But, come on... 1.5 million gold and 144 hours just clicking craft?

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.