1. All post bodies concerning Shroud of the Avatar player to player transactions or services are limited to this section of the forums. Unwanted solicitation in other sections of the forums or via chat or private message is prohibited, and could result in account restriction or ban. Posting more than once per week within your own thread, "bumping" it to keep it on top, bumping within a week of the first post, and daily replacing a post with a new one is also considered spam and is therefore, prohibited. Bumping is allowed once per week, if the new post contains information that is meaningful to the original thread (i.e. price updates).

Activities that involve real money exchanges between players are not allowed. Account transfers are not supported. Items purchased in the SotA Store, such as Pledge and Bundle Rewards, Add-Ons, Stretch-Goal items, and Player Owned Towns, as well as services that can be immediately fulfilled in-game (such as renting existing in-game property or items) are the only permitted exchanges in the Player Marketplace.

Be sure to include the types of payment accepted in your post [In Game Gold, COTOs/Crowns, or in game item trade]

We will not restrict exchange of goods but we will not officially endorse these exchanges due to liability issues and staffing bandwidth. No in-game or chat based real money exchanges are allowed. Exchanges are at the players own risk and governed by the Terms of Service of whatever third party platform. Catnip Games reserves the right to restrict any activities if they cause widespread issues for our community or if these activities involve exploits of any kind.

BEWARE players are already scamming the community . . .

Discussion in 'Sell Items (WTS Gear, Decorations, Crafted Items)' started by Weins201, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's a great example.

What you have to realize is that Portalarium is making a "game", period. They're not Amazon, or Paypal or an investment vehicle. So the idea that they should or would step into 3rd party transactions that they don't control, don't initiate, and don't promote is irrelevant. If you're using paypal (for example) to perform transactions for game items that's between you and paypal, not Poratlarium.

But the in-game part of that is Ports domain, and they will investigate and determine if what happened was against the TOS or EULA or whatever. They're not responsible for getting your money back, but they might get in-game gold or even the item in question back if they feel it's warranted. (All of this is my opinion, and I certainly don't speak for Portalarium. I'm just explaining where I believe the lines are drawn.)

Vesper Merchant likes this.
  2. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Was thinking more of someone suing Port for neglecting their duty of care. Not saying it will happen, but rather no one wants to go down that path even as a threat. I'm not exactly saying make it illegal, so I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, but from Port's perspective they have to think on it carefully.

Player to player. Well, not placing any bets there.

Melissa likes this.
  3. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

But there is really an easy fix to this rename bag thing...
    Get the programmers to make a string that checks for item names already in the game, and if the names are to close or are replaced with other letters or symbols, it should not be possible to trade the bag.

A short script like that would fix the problem, but as we all know there will just be other problems and people would just buy bags with "Bag of 1000gold"
    You just cant fix stupid, no matter what you do.

Hover your mouse over the bag or item, are you in doubt then dont buy..

Or we could just be allowed to look inside the bags, so we can start selling full gear and place them on vendors..

Melissa likes this.
  4. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I think that's the desired outcome, plus banning too no doubt.

Melissa and Vesper Merchant like this.
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

It's 100% on the buyer to mouse over the item and understand that it's not really an Airship. Another reason I'm thinking that a blacklist is a good idea. Confidence is a big deal in player markets... A market with low confidence will hurt even the most renowned traders... for new players, they don't have a chance.

[​IMG]

Melissa, Ice Queen and Jatvardur like this.
  6. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

I am okay with banning those that scam just ban those that used exploits to GM blacksmith in 48hours and those that used exploit to make millions.

7. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

if in doubt dont buy, with that said I dont understand why we are able to rename those things, I thought it just bags so we could have a bag for tools and a bag for regs and so on..

8. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

And until Portalarium makes an example of these scammers, more scammers will continue to join together and it will continue to get worse in mass numbers. It's like a disease and will spread like one.

Acred, Vesper Merchant and Weins201 like this.
  9. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I placed a POT Village Taxable lot on a vendor. I let @Chris know that there is no discernable way to tell between Taxable and non-Taxable. Probably should have told @Attenwood. I wasn't being nefarious, but I could see how someone could be pissed if they purchased it thinking it was tax free.

Buyer beware friends, alwaysassume they are taxed.

Bom, Melissa, Lord Bankee and 2 others like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

Two more of these bag scammers on the Kingsport public vendor.

Melissa and Vesper Merchant like this.
  11. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

This player should be banned. The icon for the small bag is extremely similar to the reward item in bag icon. They really need to fix this. This is the Kingsport public vendor.

[​IMG]

Melissa, Thwip, K1000 and 5 others like this.
  12. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Instead of a forum in the marketplace that players might be scammed in-game I recommend a thread in the feedback thread that suggest items on vendors and trade windows should show their real name. Being able to rename items obviously makes it much easier to scam someone. And yes - report them, but more so report the re-naming in the feedback section because blocking off an entire method of scamming is going to be more effective than trying to track down 45$ accounts and banning them.

Also @Duke Avery - friends and family does not protect a seller from a chargeback - when it comes to digital items protection lies very strongly with the buyer.

Acred, Melissa and K1000 like this.
  13. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Report them, and also report the method used to scam. Let's get this renaming thing removed as a method for vendor-scams and trade-window scams.

@Berek @Attenwood @DarkStarr

I'm in trouble already with the wig or I'd create the bug thread with screenshots ha - back in a few hours

Acred, Melissa, Thwip and 4 others like this.
  14. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

Anders, there is a pic posted in the dev bug section of this, care of our good friend Vox :)

Acred, Melissa and Lord Andernut like this.
  15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Friends and Family doesn't protect buyers or sellers from anything; these types of payments are Personal Payments and as such are considered gifts. Regarding protection in trades for digital goods, PayPal offers no protection at all... chargebacks can happen but it's an extremely involved process - and it requires documentation and receipts.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#4
    4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#11
    "Proof of Delivery" for intangible or virtual items or services is online documentation satisfactory to PayPal that the item or service was provided to the buyer, such as evidence that a file has been downloaded as of a particular date.

16. Drocis the Devious

@monkeysmack what's the matter, you don't want to buy the Obsidian Book of Unlearning? :)

I wonder what it says when you open it? "Forget everything you know."

monkeysmack likes this.
  17. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

We had a blacklist in DAOC, and I can only remember 1 person being on it on the Guinevere server. No one scammed on the server because no one wanted to be blacklisted. With this situation in Sota, you just know it's someone's alt account, they wouldn't do it with their main one. Also, they can just delete and reroll with a new name too. Too bad block list doesn't work for buying and selling from vendors, that would be nice.

18. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

There is a guy on the trade forums who was called out for cheating a fella. I noticed the scammer deleted the post and remade it to remove the evidence. It is a darn shame we can not call out this guy so others know he is not trustworthy. If this keeps up I will only trade with those I know are stand up folks and have been around for a while. Or at least have several good reports on their profile of successful transactions.

margaritte and Vesper Merchant like this.
  19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Their intentions are to scam people, but with the icons that we have that are similar, this just made it easier for them to do this. The big problem is the icons for these items should be unique and never the same so that this can't happen again easily. There will always be people like this trying to scam but Portalarium should make it more difficult to do this.

Acred and Vesper Merchant like this.
  20. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

A chargeback is when someone pays by credit card and the credit card issues the chargeback.

A PayPal Dispute is when the buyer goes through PayPal.

Additionally, I've seen this initiated by a buyer, and won by the buyer. There's no website method for this when using F&F, but you can still open the dispute by calling customer service directly.

PayPal doesn't protect sellers with digital items regardless of the method they use to accept payment. BUT - it is always smart to exercise caution, just because you CAN dispute something, doesn't mean you should be the first person to take a risk on a new seller ;)

Melissa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.