Binding a Fast Travel beacon for Player Events?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Sirius Sternwarte, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

Now that the cat is out of the bag in relation to (expected) proposed changes to fast travel, I would like to reiterate a suggestion I made in the Dev+ "R27 QA Build" thread. I have additional ideas in relation to restricting abuse of the bind system but I would like to address the social aspect first:

For people wanting to run advertised player events in game, there could be some kind of recall beacon that can be bought with ingame gold (gold sink). This would allow a short time ability for players to zone to an event location without needing a mutual friend or guild link. This beacon, perhaps like a hot air balloon, could be placed in a valid location and only remain active for one day or a number of hours and have one use only. Any player would be able to use that recall beacon a single time only to attend an event, subject to some of the proposed recall limitations proposed above. If a player needs to perform business upon arrival or after the event, they would need to use the *local economy* or wait for any imposed recall restrictions to expire.

2. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

3. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Sounds like a great idea Siriustar. Perhaps some sort of coach or balloon system similar to the gondola guys in Adoris. Maybe one could be located in all of the major NPC towns--click on her and get a list of all current events that can be traveled to.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Beacons for large events is a great idea.

How would the devs prevent such a device from being used for personal one-off teleporting though?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  5. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

Perhaps a difficultly / costly crafted item. Perhaps some ingredient control of item duration, with a max duration only possible. Cheaper to make 1 hour totem vs a weekend fair item.

With the current teleport rules, you would only arrive at the scene zone in point though. Otherwise you could get your raid group deep into a dungeon if someone could sneak down.

Jivalax Azon, Time Lord and Beaumaris like this.
  6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Aye, this would be a great craftable consumable to have. Something someone could make and distribute at vendors ahead of a big party for a one time mass teleport.

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  7. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Thinking about it I actually would support more another solution...a variation of the new recall scrolls.
    Technically I would choose a location others should teleport to, than I create a scroll that is bound to this spot (just towns) and then make the scrolls public.
    Normal scrolls could be a resource you are "upgrading" for this purpose.
    As this mechanic could be used also in other ways I would suggest to make them a little expensive in production, the scrolls have an expiration date (max. one or two weeks) or they are not usable by the creator himself.
    Maybe the destination of the scroll is already set by creating it at a crafting station...e.g. crafting it in Kingsport is automatically creating a "Teleport - Kingsport"-scroll.

8. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Or take a page from days of yore and have marked stones to recall to.

Have a place to dispense those stones.

9. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

@OP - Great Idea +1

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I see some breaks in the dike of travel restrictions...
    Give into the force Darkstar, "take your finger out of the hole in the dike you've already created"...o_O

What a great idea Siriustar!:)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

11. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

OMG, the @Time Lord is back and he didn't even say HI! :p

But yes, I would not mind a somewhat more liberal 'zone' scroll or stone option.
    We coul have special zone-stones in towns: You need to be at the stone to mark your scrolls (think like rubbing the special marking on to a magic scroll like you'd rub a pencil over a piece of paper to get an impression of a coin or something), and they can only be used by yourself. That way you have to first be at the location, and when you forget to mark new scrolls, you'll have to find another way to get back to that zone-stone... Also no selling of pre-marked scrolls that way!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I thought Time Lord's telling Darkstarr to unplug his finger from the hole WAS Time Lord's way of saying HI. ;)

<3 @Time Lord

Time Lord and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Zone Stones", I like the name for it! :D
    [​IMG]
    What I didn't like was all I had to go through to get a good internet connection that could handle our game... o_O
    The requirements here in the deepest part of Thailand can be quite painful :p
    But yes I'm back and trying my darnd'est to remember how to play it :confused:

It's so Grand to See You Also My Grand Friend Bodhbh Dearg'! :D

"Zone Stones" :) , everyone remember that name cause it's a great one!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  14. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

I'm glad to see this idea has recieved some interest. Thanks to everyone for thier support! At this point I should remind everyone that as per the link below I am in total suport of the current implementation of each player having a single binding point. My reasoning for creating this thread was to show that these could be a compromise for player events that did not have to require bending the rules about a single binding point or requiring people to spam unsolicited friend requests in order to get everyone a link to the "zone in point".
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f.../poll-binding-points.46589/page-2#post-515036

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.