Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

bit of feedback

Discussion in 'Release 19 Feedback' started by Sophi, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Are you talking about the RNG gogo of deck combat? Because the locked hotbar is available and is undergoing rebalancing to make it useful. Pre-alpha

It's a "spiritual successor to Ultima". <----my guess is that's the direction. Community is a big thing a ton of people come here looking for. Some people saw "ultima" and thought it was gonna be another UO that would allow them to hack slash kill and loot everyone in sight. Thier fault for assuming, but they are puting a little of that in there too. The PvE is sounding pretty awsome as well so theres a little of that too. It's targeting people who wanna do alot of stuff and be part of a community. The people getting upset much of the time are the ones who jsut wanna do one thing and nothing else. But theres even some of those people who want the community and liek where the game is headed enough to stick around

Crafting is barely in the game at all yet. Pre Alpha. It sounds like its going to be pretty awsome.
    Pre Alpha

Pre Alpha. Very little of this has been added at all yet.

FrostII likes this.
  2. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

Thanks for reading! And granted, you have a point; only if you will allow me, it only covers one side of the coin :)
    A limited target audience comes with two caveats:

1) A set and/or ever declining source of income. A stable amount of customers provides a more or less stable amount of capital. Until said customers, as is the nature of man, begin to lose interest. Which is eventual. And doubly worse in an F2P/B2P title; you have no subscription, nothing comes in steady. So while you may be able to estimate, ups and downs can and will cause you to proceed to further ..measures.. so as to meet your expectations/needs. This, in your shoes and mine, always ends up entailing moar horses, dresses, XP pots, etc for sale; ie the kind that in better circumstances (may i add more fair?) you should/would have been able to procure ingame. Sans your wallet being affected. They do this for their income, not your financial health.

2) An ever declining tendency in terms of a customer base and game health. If instead of attempting to keep your reaining clientele while simultaneously finding ways to atract a new one you chose to merely attain to your current one's needs, you get a situation we have seen again and again. Now it's say 100 people. Next month, and at best, it's 100 people. The one after that 90. And then 80. You can continue to find ways to keep your remaining 80 at reach (meaning again, re-arranging your monetisation so as for the 80 to equal 100 in terms of income [ring a bell?]), only lacking an influx of new players, the best you can hope to accomplish is a stasis in terms of capital. A capital that is already burdening the remaining 80 further. Used to be a hundred remember? Now even if none of us minds the extra toll, do remind me; what does stasis do to an MMORPG?

[this is an oddball of a title. We need to remind ourselves of that. It is not themeparky in the wow-like sense, it is not really a sandbox. It has MMO elements, but also features an offline. It essentially carves a niche within niches, as it precludes all major "gaming" categories from finding it relevant. I am not certain if this was their intent, but i am certain i have yet to see them address it in a way i find beneficial. Extra store heavy-handedness only takes you thus far. Time is an enemy all of its own] :)

To the two other members stating "pre-alpha". About 2 or 3 times each, just to make sure i got it. This is not a pre-alpha. You may not have seen what "pre alpha" really stands for in the industry, but this, SotA, is not it. Staying within context we would need to be fair and acknowledge that this game is far beyond a --true-- pre-alpha state. That it in fact only remains labeled as one so as for excuses, leeways and evasion tactics to be readily available when and where circumstances will call for.
    The truth is that whatever state this game is or is not in, it is at a point where one would expect a number of things to be set in stone, in terms of design concepts and mentality. I am not addressing an ingame state of affairs, what i was pinpointing is the thinking that lies behind it. And what it means when in the current state of the game, it is still as ..in flux?.. as it is.
    Lastly, which you seem to have conveniently neglected, communicating. It is lacking. Severely. This again has nothing to do with the 'ingame' state of affairs. This has everything to do with transparency, correct marketing (cynical as it may sound, it is an essential part) and a clear outlining of 'just what it is we are aiming for'. Neither "we have Garriott on board! Wow!" nor "but it's pre-alpha" relates to this (the 'just what it is we are aiming for').

This is why you get, to get back to my previous post, all these negative reviews. Lack of solid, REAL info. Tons of hype. Hype can only attract. Am talking about afterwards. When influenced by hype and unrealistic expectations, you get to be face-to-face with reality. A stark contrast. Mitigated by, you guessed it, proper communicating.

(again, just my own two cents yeah? :p)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Wait, people want to roleplay? in a role playing game?? outrageous, lets burn somebody.

4. Womby

Womby Avatar

@Aenra

From Wikipedia article on video game development:

Alpha
    Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished. A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.

Beta
    Beta is feature and asset complete version of the game, when only bugs are being fixed. This version contains no bugs that prevent the game from being shippable. No changes are made to the game features, assets, or code. Beta occurs two to three months before code release.

Clearly by the above definition, since SotA is not yet feature complete, it is pre-Alpha.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

This is your way of addressing your fellow members, hmm? Sarcasm, even a five year old can practice it? Or your way of detailing just how deep a thinking process you are capable of perhaps?
    You may not have noticed amidst all this shallowness, so allow me to assist you by reminding you that not only have i nothing against RPing, i state that it is necessary; i am also actually obsessive about appearances and avatar personalisation myself. IE, i do want them in. It is why i am here really.

We read first.
    Think second.
    And only then proceed to replying :)

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Wasn't talking to you Mr Assumptions, my quote thingy didn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.