Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Black screen of death and odd resume game behavior

Discussion in 'Release 28 Dev+' started by Kara Brae, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

So far has happened twice in a row when trying to enter Isle of Ghosts from Spindrift Island. (Multiplayer, 2560x1440). Will update if it proves to be repeatable. Reloading if I resume I immediately get the black screen again - have to start on world map.

UPDATE:
    Has so far happened three times in a row, so it appears to be repeatable on my machine.

UPDATE 2:
    Tried switching to single player while standing on world map. Chose resume instead of start on world map (since I was already on world map) and got black screen. That makes four times.

Tried shifting position, and double clicked on Isle of Ghosts from next to the boat moored at Spindrift Island on the world map.

It worked - no black screen! Returned to previous position (approximately) on world map, still in SPO, and it worked again three times in a row. Switched back to multiplayer and it is still working.

UPDATE 3:
    Got black screen when entering Estgard the first time. Tried again without changing anything and got in successfully.y

UPDATE 4:
    Got black screen when entering South Quel Woods three times in a row. Then tried changing position on the world map and it happened again. Tried again this time in SPO and it loaded OK. Switched back to multiplayer and it was stuck on 0% in Building Map. Killed process and tried again in multiplayer, and this time it worked! Tried two more times in multiplayer and it loaded OK both times.

SUMMARY:
    On two out of two occasions, the black screen problem disappeared when I switched to SPO. The problem was still gone when I switched back to multiplayer. Coincidence? Maybe.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  2. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

True! Should be a black hole!

3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

@all Thank you all for the reports! We are investigating the issue for resolution! Please continue to keep us up to date with as detailed repro-steps as can be provided. Additionally, what some of you can do is the following:
    1. Stop everything moment you see the Black Screen of Death occur
    2. In your QA client's install directory under the game's data folder should be a file output_log.txt
    3. Make a quick copy of the log and email it to rromero@portalarium.com or PM its contents to me

The latest details that get copied to the log might help reveal what happened, and give us information to resolve it. Thanks!

4. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Thank you sir! Now I can't reproduce it, but entering Solace Bridge from the South side successfully lands me on the North side. I can exit through the south gate OK. Will keep investigating.

5. Absolum

Absolum Avatar

I am having the same problems at various areas in the Quell area. I enter to a black screen and have to log out and start on the map to get a viewable screen. Exiting to menu doesn't work. When you get back in the screen is still black.
    Windows 10
    AMD R9 290 series video card.
    I forgot to mention that when this happens it says that I am overloaded. I should be able to carry about an additional 120 lbs. I was just able to enter the Sawtooth Thicket and North/South Quell Woods without a problem for the first time.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

@Attenwood , I was able to go around Novia, Resolute, and Night shade pass now. However, when I tried to get into Brittany graveyard, I got the blacksreen again. I have sent you a PM with the output log file content.

Thank you for looking into this.

7. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks all for the great feedback so far! Looks like the Black Screen also hit LB sometime yesterday. If ever there was a bug that had a death wish, it's the one that goes after LB. :)

Winfield, Acred, SeleneNoctua and 3 others like this.
  8. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Hopefully you guys can find the problem soon I want to visit all the cool new areas but in traped!

9. oneandonly

oneandonly Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I have a repro, and a fix coming for this. Put away your torches...

10. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Why can't we use our torches in a celebratory manor?

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  11. oneandonly

Well, the problem was actually caused by other players torches or light spells. Fix has been submitted.

Kara Brae, Attenwood and Jack Knyfe like this.
  12. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

Does this include the helmet or cloak with the light effects? I don't use a torch or a light spell. Thanks!

13. oneandonly

Yes, any player lights. There is a piece of code that runs for all of them to slightly increase the ambient light levels and it wasn't cleaning up after itself.

Scraps MacMutt likes this.
  14. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Still happening in 335.

I zoned out of South Longfall Wetlands to Novia, and the screen was black (except UI elements).

15. oneandonly

Fix will be in 336.

16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The blackness alone doesn't explain why I wasn't able to turn or why some folks were suddenly overencumbered. :confused:

17. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Still happening yeah. Looking forward to the fix.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I open the debug menu then head to Soltown to get black screen. Could this be the cause of the issue?

[​IMG]

19. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Is there an ETA for 336?

Normally, im not 'that guy' to ask, but i am experiencing this in literally every zone i go into right now... so it makes QA unusable for me =/

20. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

You totally stole the 'that guy', Wrath. No wonder I am in the dark in Hometown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.