(Bland) Character Creation!

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Hempy Do`Herben, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

Whatever you do, do NOT watch the Black Desert video after just making a SoTA character.

draykorinee and Time Lord like this.
  2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I would hate the black desert character creator, takes way too long to make what I'm looking for.

Different systems for different people I guess. I want to spend 5-10 minutes tops on my character, give me a several options for jaws/cheek/eyes/eyebrows/nose so i can mix and match and then eye/hair/skin color. that's all I want. throw in about 15-20 hair styles. they can even be added after launch at a barbershop if needed.

I don't care much for sliders to customize features. Final Fantasy 14 is close to what I like, but they went too far IMO for several things.

Noctiflora and Time Lord like this.
  3. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I actually like the Black Desert character creator, but of course if you don't want to be bothered with all of those details, you could always add an option to select the basics (like the SOTA one currently does) and let the character creator handle the rest on its own...

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

We can never be too harsh on character creation, but as Mishri points out, some chr customizers go too far. My reasons for not wanting the "over the top chr generator" is that some creators are so deep with adjustments, it can obscure what I'm truly after in the final product.
    Not all of us are as good at creating a good looking chr as we think we can be...
    And I'm one of those who can go too far and come out looking odd o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13930

Seems like a middle ground, problem solved to me.

6. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I like it but... Could they integrate that with the rest of the program and what is the cost? It says free but is that for commercial use as well?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

It is intended to be embedded.

And it is free, as in the link I sent.

It is supported via Unity and is free and open source. For longer than this project has been alive, btw.

Zero excuse not to use it IMO.

Cheers.

sgt_pEppEr, Bramagola, rild and 3 others like this.
  8. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Nice video and if the SotA team built something along these lines it would be fine by me. My only problem with 'plug-ins' is that you are then limited to what the plug-in developer provides. If the SotA team builds it themselves then they have the flexibility to change, add and/or upgrade it whenever they like.

Of course that whole comment goes out the window if the plug-in is modifiable. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

majoria70 and Time Lord like this.
  9. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

As in the text, it is fully open source.

They already use some plugins in this project, along with other closed systems and asset store assets.

10. oneandonly

oneandonly Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We have already integrated UMA and I have had lengthy conversations with the author. We are already using it as a basis for our customization.

We are nowhere near done with character customization and there will be many more nobs added. We only have a proof of concept feature, the nose size, right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaisa, Mata, Time Lord and 12 others like this.
  11. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Some of this is a bit much for me. Ear position? Nose curve? Why not add an adjustment slider for ear lobe density and nose hair length? lol, :rolleyes:

Some games go a bit too far with character customization and although SotA can use some improvement in that area, I hope they don't go too overboard. I would just like to see a few more detailed options and better looking character models in general, and I believe I would be pleasantly pleased :D

12. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

That's very good to hear, oneandonly :D ...and thank you for not mass killing us in R6 :p

Jambo, Time Lord, rild and 2 others like this.
  13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Ya good news oneandonly about getting more customization. I like to spend quite a bit of time on my character creation as I will be looking at him for many years! I would think more is better. There is always the random button for those who find making characters look good a tedious chore :)

Time Lord, rild, Fireangel and 4 others like this.
  14. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

It would be nice to see a video of this in action :D

15. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Looks fine to me I just would like to see an option to make adjustments.
    Not just a one time hit and then Bang Boom its all done... would be to my liking
    you know what i'm sayin eh

Time Lord likes this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes very happy to hear more is in the works for characters. I do not believe anything can help the current homely females though. So please don't try to fix up the current faces, it will not work.
    I can't let this go because it is so very important for SOTA.

At first I was hearing the heads will get cut off, so please, please continue with that first off.

I would love to hear and be reassured that I am being heard on this issue. It's been horribly difficult to get any word whatsoever on this. So note to the developers::::pPlease advise what is is happening.

Are we going to see better looking faces for our characters???? The females are very masculine looking.

******and also to anyone who thinks SOTA does not need to give lots of options to make unique character customization, and that less is better, why is less better for everyone? If you don't like to spend time on creating your character, then don't, but how about wishing everyone else to have a great time if that is their thing, don't think everyone has to be just like you. I wish everyone to have what they want, more if they want more, and less if they want less. ;) ******cheers all*******

17. oneandonly

oneandonly Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

There was a completely re-done female face that we held off including in R6. It was just too late in the cycle (night before) to risk changing it. Yes, there will be improvements / replacements for current heads. New heads will be added. More customization options. You have been heard. :) And we have more work to do.

Khloec, Kaisa, Mata and 24 others like this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yaaaay thank you so much oneandonly. You are wonderful, sorry to be such a nag lol ****majoria jumps up and down, cheering the whole time*******:)

****edited to add a great big thank you for all you****:)

19. Mata

Mata Avatar

[​IMG]
    R4 <-> R6
    Has well, I find that the "ugly duckling" now a "beautiful swan" developed. ;)

Saosis, NRaas and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  20. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm happy to see that expanded character creation options are on the roadmap for Q3!

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.