Blood & Gore

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Galamar, Jun 9, 2014.

?

What level of violence would you like SOTA to have?

1. Blood

5.5%
  2. Blood & Gore

13.7%
  3. All of the above & the ability to mutiliate other players (Ultima Online)

80.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

No complaints there, but I also wouldn't complain if it slides to 11. ;)

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

also add... fatality moves... where you get a move like decapitating your opponent for melee and body explosion or disintegration for spells, etc... it would be awesome...

crossbowsoda and Lord Baldrith like this.
  3. Curt

Curt Avatar

Would be fine if each skill has a certain killing animation.

4. mittens

mittens Avatar

I think so long as there is an option to tone it down or crank it up it would make everyone happy. Sometimes I do like over the top Monty Python / Black Knight style gore or just turn it right off...

mittens

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm not sure the Black Knight even falls into the realm of gore. All you see is some blood. That's about it. Parts are fully covered.

6. NeeNee

NeeNee Avatar

The Black Knight IS kind of hilarious. If that counts as gore, I'm fine with that level. I don't have kids, but I'd like to be able to recommend this game to my nieces (or adults, really) without them thinking I'm some sort of psychopath cannibal. The current level of blood is fine or a gore setting is my vote.

There are 8 trillion games aimed at 10 year old boys who've never had adult supervision, made by companies who have no intention of breaking into any other demographic . One of the great things about this game is that there seems to be enough women, grown/older people, player with varying game interests (Pve/Pvp/crafting/RP), etc to balance that out. We're not all HARDCORE AS F***, bro and that's a good thing. :D

7. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

So should we start thinking of this project as "Shroud of the Abattoir"?

8. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Pun of the Day, ladies and gentlemen! :D *offers Malak a cookie*

I'm okay with a 'gore slider' - I think it should default to 'low' and have the ability to be turned up if the player wants to. I'm not sure how messy it should get - I don't really think it should be excessive, but some of the people in this thread would no doubt outvote me on that one! :)

Noctiflora likes this.
  9. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Admit it, you had to look it up.

10. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Heh... I'm English, I know what an abattoir is. :)

Just eat the cookie!

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

13. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I would vote for a slider too. Better for the game, IMHO, as it allows more players to play with the level of blood and gore they are comfortable with.

Personally, while I don't have much of an issue with realistic blood and gore, I'm not really into it; having anything between no blood to realistic levels of blood is about the same for me. Gratuitous blood and gore, on the other hand, turn me away from a game; there's a reason I have dozens of fighting games (including Injustice, which is basically a DC-branded Mortal Kombat minus the gore) but never bothered to go after Mortal Kombat.

As for mutilation and cannibalism: I would rather not. As in, I would rather never engage in PvP, ever, than expose my character to the possibility of player-caused mutilation.

14. SaltyRobot

SaltyRobot Avatar

I vote for a slider for gore and blood. With the top setting be the most realistic not over the top blood and gore. If you slice someones throat with a dagger blood should only come from the neck area. If you slice someone in the neck with a 2-H Sword and critical hit the head should come off and blood should spray from the neck. If you use corpse explosion on a body there should be blood and guts everywhere. If you hit someone with a bludgeon weapon there should be very little blood because typically you die from internal wounds when it comes to that weapon. If you use a fireball and kill someone there would be very little blood but should be heavy amounts of charring.

I do want to be able to turn all of this off though if my kids choose to play on their own account.

15. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

With the inception of PvP and the card based system, combat has become far more fun. That being said, it could be far better with some more realism. Does anyone agree that the combat just feels as if it's missing something? All of the hits have the same "clunking" sound and there is no blood or physical damage appearing on the opponent.

I feel combat could greatly benefit from the three following things:

1) added sound effects
    2) some blood
    3) visible damage (ie: bruises, dented armor etc)

I may have missed some discussion from the devs on this, but is there any plan to include some blood and visible physical damage in game? This isn't a far stretch from anything LB has implemented in his games in the past. Ultima VII opened with a pretty gory scene. Before anyone replies with cries of "no gratuitous violence or gore in game!", know that I am talking about realism here, not blood just for the sake of it. When realism is concerned, a little blood can go a long way ;)

16. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

Yes I agree! There is nothing worse than combat with no visual/audio feedback making the impact and action of the combat very lame. But I am positive they are going to deal with that in the polishing stages of the game. Right now they are really just adding features among other things :)

17. EvolovE

EvolovE Avatar

18. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

My issue with when people calls for "realistic" blood and gore is that, as often as not, they are actually asking for unrealistically high levels of it.

A big reason why I prefer some slider or adjustable setting. Those effects should be client-side anyway, without any gameplay effect, so there is no downside to providing the option and allowing everyone to see exactly as much blood and gore as he or she is comfortable with, from none at all to gushing jets from a papercut.

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't have a problem with blood and gore. Funny video baronandy lol. Definitely high gore :eek:

I know some are thinking of the younger ones who would play the game, so maybe with the ability to turn it down.

I don't want to set up too many limitations but personal preferences sliders or check marks would be good for those who want or need them.:)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  20. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Just a comment about TV. This week's episode of Sparticus had a pretty wild and explicit gladiator battle. I tend to be on the fence on this one because in most games, there are so few blood tiles that after seeing them a few times, it makes no difference if they are there or not. I know that I would like to see the full animation at least once to appreciate the scene, but after a while it really adds nothing to the game or story for me.

Now the Sparticus scene will stay with me for quite awhile........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.