Breaker's Landing, the community project.

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Solstar, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Breaker's Landing is a community created and community managed project, providing a place for those who wish to have more direct participation in the creation of the town they live in within the overall Shroud community. The biggest perk of joining is permanent access to land. Whether it is for a house, a garden or a beautiful park, the land you get access to will be yours to use for as long as you want, and however you want.

Breaker's Landing Back Story

For anyone interested in seeing what this project is about, please view the mission statement HERE.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Berek, Realm Wares, RDouglas and 8 others like this.
  2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Breaker's Landing has officially upgraded to a Hamlet! That means more options for town design . Thank you to the small group that have helped me make this a reality.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Awesome Job doing this keep up the good work :)

Solstar and Themo Lock like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This will be an interesting comparison... Breaker's Landing, the experiment in POT by committee vs. Dawn's Keep the experiment in POT by Benevolent (I hope) Dictatorship.

5. Numa

Numa Avatar

Solstar, I"ve acquired some assets that will help the group assemble a concept of what Breaker's Landing will look like. I picked these since they were the closest to the kind of housing we see in SOTA. The last picture also has a serviceable watch tower which I should be able to detach from the main house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Numa

Numa Avatar

This castle model is very useful since we can re-assemble it to form bridges , walls and even an approximation of a wizard's tower :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Numa

Numa Avatar

I"ll be making the terrain using the tools I have based on your description and hopefully we can have a draft model in the next two weeks. Learning the tools as I go so it won't be quick. It's not Unity but it should serve for the hamlet's conceptualization.

RDouglas and Solstar like this.
  8. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Looks good. Since we've upgraded, I was thinking of having two distinct districts. The old town, which is more of an established fishing village, then the the new town, which could include more elaborate stone work and a cleaner look to the streets, to symbolize the "new money" that has moved into town.

Cassandra Corax and Numa like this.
  9. Numa

Numa Avatar

I used the SoTa Town calculator to get an idea of how many lots the hamlet would hold :

http://sotahousing.com/SotA_Player_Town_Calculator.html

But I set a constraint that 25% ( 4,950 sqm) would be reserved for common areas such as parks, townhalls , paths etc. One viable combination would be :

1 x City lot
    5 x Town lots
    7 x Village lots
    15 x Row lots

for a total of 28 lots and 14,850 sqm. Actual hamlet population would actually be greater since friends & families would be sharing homes. If you stretch the number of homes to about 30 and assume 3-4 pax per home then that's easily 90-120 players. It gives you some idea of how dense the Towns, Cities & Metropolises would be.

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You know that's not necessary, right?

The square meters allotted are meant for housing... the parks and paths, etc. would be part of the scene, each scene being a square kilometer. The Town Center where any NPC buildings reside are also not counted against your square footage, if this is what you're meaning when you say town hall.

Numa and Sir Frank like this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

Really ? Great !!!! Thank you ! :)

12. Numa

Numa Avatar

Ok second pass, this time utilizing all the area. Turns out you can have a Keep size lot in a hamlet and still have enough living space ( somewhat larger than a holdfast).

1 x Keep lot
    5 x Town lots
    10 x Village lots
    20 x Row lots

Or just have 2 City lots in place of the Keep. Reminds me of the old tales where the villagers would run & take shelter in the baron's castle in case of invasion.

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Really. You're welcome. :)

Numa likes this.
  14. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I certainly don't want a Keep Lot, and I'm not sure how I feel about Row Lots. Row Lots really do change the feel of a town. If we used them, I would want to place them off to the side of town. I envision a few paths winding around the town, no apparent preplanned structure, with Village Lots placed along them for the old town and the occasional Town and City Lot at distinct locations along the topography. Then for the new town it would have more structure to the streets and lots.

15. Numa

Numa Avatar

Hmmm...how about this combination ?

1 x City lot
    4 x Town lots
    19 x Village lots
    8 x Row lots

We can place the Row houses back to back so their rear sides aren't exposed.

I found a good example by @Aartemis for his Bastion's hamlet, based on a modified Kingsport :

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...for-player-owned-towns-templates.20067/page-3

[​IMG]

For Breaker's Landing there would be mountain slopes in the back and that's where the newer section with the more structured streets would be.

Got some photos to illustrate the lower & upper portions.

Lower :

[​IMG]

Upper :

[​IMG]

RDouglas, Themo Lock and Net like this.
  16. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Meant to reply last night, but that combo looks pretty good, Numa. The only thing that would change that would be additional participants coming in, IF they requested a lot that was not available with that setup.

As a reminder, to anyone following this thread, PoT prices go up by ~20% on May 1st (10 days away), so if you were thinking about possibly joining this community before the town is built and giving input on its construction, I would highly recommend joining before May 1st. Just send me a PM and we'll figure it out.

Numa likes this.
  17. Numa

Numa Avatar

I stripped off (sloppily) all the labels that I could from the Kingsport map. I was thinking we could move or edit the lot positions & sizes depending on our map layout. The current trial lot combination is (see post above) :

1 x City lot
    4 x Town lots
    19 x Village lots
    8 x Row lots

We can alter the terrain levels & geography in a later cycle.

[​IMG]

This was an experiment, I mapped the Kingsport map into a 3D object using Bryce 7 Pro. The cube there is supposed to be a house but I haven't finished importing the medieval house models yet. Just like a board game , we could position & reposition the houses on the map and then - when we"re ready - do the terrain for real.

[​IMG]

18. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I'll use that Kingsport Map to modify the map I've been drawing. I have requests for the basic location of one City and one Village Lot, so let's get our basic designs done, compare together, and iterate from there.

Numa likes this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

After a break during which I took care of some RL and SC stuff, I'm back to work on the hamlet layout again. Looks like Port will be accepting more POTS application by R18 so I'll try to squeeze in more time for this.

20. Numa

Numa Avatar

Jatvardur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.