Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Brewing Numbers - Port Hates Money

Discussion in 'Release 56 QA Feedback' started by Lhamabomb, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Being jaded happens to me all the time. No worries. :)

2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Livestream said they were adjusting things back for next release after they patch whatever exploit they were worried about. Maybe not as much back, but adjustments coming again.

Vaiden Luro and By Tor like this.
  3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, they've "adjusted" them but not back to where they were.
    The current prices on QA = brewing is a loss making endeavour.
    The only profit to be made with those numbers is all on the farming side - the brewing side is just a huge waste of time.
    I hope they re-math this and make it worth doing, it had a lot of potential.

4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

This is the QA forum. These are the new "fixed" prices on QA.

By Tor and Lord Andernut like this.
  5. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

To be honest, I don't think potential is defined by whether it makes profit in a closed loop. Most crafting doesn't work that way currently, so I don't know why brewing needs to be profitable. As was also pointed out later in this thread, it was intended to be profitable. I guess we'll see the results.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Elwyn likes this.
  6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@DarkStarr & LB have said repeatedly that making a profit was one of the features of brewing. This *technically* meets the mark, but I don't know that I believe it meets the "spirit" of it. And I'm certainly willing to give them the benefit of time to review, there have been numerous adjustments made to the game over time to address concerns such as these. My hope is that the data I posted will be of use to them in making any determinations.

Vaiden Luro, kaeshiva and By Tor like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The exploit is that you can park your alt at the cooking station, fill unlimited casks and they could mature in your alt's inventory. The fix is to set an ultimate limit on the number of items you can have in your inventory.

8. Lhamabomb

Lhamabomb Avatar

As opposed to what other sources of income? Quests? Farming Upper tears? Grinding out trolls? What i think you're missing is, gold has to come into the game somewhere for it to be traded among players. All those things i mention above are current ways gold gets into the game. Do you think any of those activities are really all that enjoyable? I didn't.

However, i really enjoyed the gameplay of brewing, and at the end of the day, it was on par profit wise with the activities i mention above for equal amount of time invested. Port needs to get out of this mindset that just because something is "closed loop" that it can't be profitable. there were plenty of limiters on the profit as the system was when it released.

the only thing that needed fixing were the bugs where you could open a cask prior to crafting with it and would have access to the brew after crafting and the other one, dropping a chest with maturing casks into another chest, forcing the casks to dump their contents. Both of these bypassed the time constraint and yeah, needed to be fixed.

However, the profit point was fine so long as the time limits worked. At least i and a majority of the community thought so. But i'm sure a few bitter vet whales that have been more or less keeping the company afloat whined about "devaluation of their pledges" like i keep hearing get flung around (newsflash: things lose value over time)

It's a damn shame, but i just can't summon the faith that port will do the right thing here... People keep saying the same things about this and all signs point to the title of this thread...

ozzzmosis and By Tor like this.
  9. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

So instead of 1 alt people will just park 2 or 5 ? The result will be the same ....so is this really a fix ?

Farming works this way you plant cotton sell it to npc - make profit - endless loop...why shouldnt crafting or brewing .

I imagine people probably have anywhere from 10k to 50k total barrels crafted by now for beer ...thats a big loss and alot of dissapointed people if brewing turns into another deco proffesion. My opinion on how things should be ...if you want artifacts , rare stuff , bundles go kill monsters if you want to make gold pick up a profession ... farming, brewing..crafting .

Let the gold flow ingame Port...

Vaiden Luro, disorder and Lhamabomb like this.
  10. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I think this is a good thread for feedback on prices, but I have no idea how anybody feels that brewing and gold income would have any affect on their pledge values - that seems really far afield trying to blame brewing mechanics on so-called whales. The decisions they would make on gold generation would be their own metrics, not an individual's complaints.

I'm not opposed to gold generation through brewing at all. I just would hope it's balanced with other gold generation sources. The best way to manage it probably is to have casks act like farming - don't mature in inventory or in bank.

There's a lot of unused basements out there of course.

Elwyn likes this.
  11. Lhamabomb

Lhamabomb Avatar

And moreover, think of the Single player folks too. What sources of income do THEY have? They're pretty much stuck to selling artis and vendoring everything shiny they come across, no player trade there. brewing would have been the perfect system for them... But not anymore

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sure but right now it's unlimited.

13. Lhamabomb

Lhamabomb Avatar

Let's be honest here folks. When this cat gets skinned, the real answer is port is artificialy keeping the economy down to facilitate player retention... it's pretty obvious

14. Lhamabomb

Lhamabomb Avatar

And yeah, technically that is possible, you're forgetting that inorder to do that, you'd need enough casks to keep that going indefinitely like you suggest. Casks are a limiter here, your point is moot

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

First, it's not my point. Second, it's exactly what some people were doing, which is why they temporarily changed the prices.

16. Lhamabomb

Lhamabomb Avatar

no... what some people were doing was this

And yeah, that needed fixing, but this fantasy land of infinite casks you're talking about is laughable, you're talking tens, if not hundreds, of millions of gold investment in casks, at that point, MF earned it

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's what they said in the livestream. You're arguing against the wrong guy; I only repeated what they said. If you want to believe that there's some conspiracy against you then do it.

18. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Its not unlimited ..those barrels cost a small fortune to make ... 500k for 1k barrels or 1 mil gold/1k barrels at npc prices ... the maturation process is a limit also ...just to open 1000 barrels each day every 3 days requires few mil investment . In return farming gets a boost cause people will need farmed goods for drinks...land deeds get a boost...cause its more profitable to plant your own stuff...and the gold coin loses some value which will lose either way... lets face it i never seen anything in the game going up so far...only down.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  19. Lhamabomb

Lhamabomb Avatar

lol where are you getting i think there's a conspiracy against me? project much?

And if that's what "they" said, then that even further reinforces what i've heard.

20. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Sure, but the numbers I posted are the new *fixed* prices. There's not much point to brewing unless the prices for whiskey are significantly higher than they are for wine or beer.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.