Bring in undead as playable race!

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Robby, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robby

Robby Avatar

So I had an idea....
    How about undead race as a playable character? To make it simple rather than having to choose a ghost, skeleton, zombie, lich, or wraith your character just starts off as a generic skeleton. You can then acquire body parts and organs from humans you slay. They could be NPC or player. You then can slowly add these peices of meat and organs to your skeleton until you fill out into a zombie! Theres no stat, skill or strength benefit, its purely cosmetic. Then once you acquire enough guts and meat and your body becomes fresher and fresher it becomes harder and harder to tell if you are undead. Once your "completed" and you dont have the stench of death on you anymore you are almost completely undetectable and can freely walk amongst other humans without them running in fear or calling the guards on you.
    You lose *guts* anytime you are killed and rezzed and you can only be rezzed by some special undead healer or a fellow undead.
    I figure it would be a neat option for those who flag as PvP. Because I think it would be cool to have the undead player be "red" to all other players and NPC's. Attackable anytime, anywhere without consequences other than what the undead individual can dish out to you, so you better be ready for anything attacking an undead player.

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    It would certainly fit in with me being a pvp lich! muhahaha!

3. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

This certainly is an interesting concept, I would imagine you couldn't have most things that other players would (access to general society being the largest). It would be cool to have this player style and perhaps it had its own player run town, where good guys could raid.

4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

This would be accepted in my holdfast! Muhahaha

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

That's what I like so much about you Bobby!
    You've created an entirely new way of play style that stimulates the Necromancer and Cannibal craftsman trade skills market while also providing the Paladin a third target to male them a viable play style as well!
    Maybe they could look very normal in the night and skeletons in the day or something?

Walking talking skeletons may seem like a corny idea now, but it sure was successful for Disney!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Folks can role play whatever they please. The Shadowclan Orcs in UO, for example. Richard Garriott seems set on standard humans for player characters, though.

7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Except for the elves. There will be elves.

8. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Just one word: NO!

9. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

This is an interesting idea. Rather than start out undead though, avatars should start out alive and have to become undead in-game. Since most undead beings start out human, this would be more coherent for RPing and it would make undead avatars less common. It would also add more depth to undead avatars' backgrounds. Becoming undead could be accomplished by a number of ways, including catching a disease (like corprus or porphyria), being slain by a speicifc NPC or creature, or even by scheduling a "special appointment" with a reclusive mage like Drocis or chipper lich lord like Ravicus.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

As player characters? Since when?

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I actually love this idea! Great Post !

12. smack

smack Avatar

Once elves became playable, all bets are off as any creature is fair game. As Richard explained in his reasoning for elves, the physical body is just a manifestation of any form, but you're still "you" inside. But there's still far too many questions regarding how that affects lore and how the world of Novia treats avatars -- now not just in human form, but in any form since you can step into that lunar rift on Earth and appear as elves if you wanted. Well, only elves for now, but I would not be surprised in the least if eventually we can appear as the undead, satyrs, liches, fauns, kobolds, etc...

13. smack

smack Avatar

They announced this months ago and and it's been available in the Stretch Goal store since the beginning of June.

14. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Would have to know more about the lore / race mechanics of NPCs. If the game has some "factions at war" mechanic and elves do get included, it would make sense to have the others. But I'd still rather this was something after your first character, after ep1, etc. So you still have the "you the human avatar" story. Then I'll play a elf / zombie / cat.

15. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

Sounds like a cool idea and might fit the puzzle of cannibalism just right they mentioned!

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"One thing that bothers me about Lore"
    It's as if, "if nothing has been written about something in some tale or story officially in some Bible (aka Book) of Ultima Cannon, I don't see why all evolution should be stopped by the Cannon from there forward".
    Yet also, just because any style may not be "your style or my style", does not mean that it can't be "a style, or an acceptable style"
    Can't something strange just start to become showing up different or from the unknown one day?
    :eek: "Ya, right ~Time Lord~, and Penguins can fly LoL" :confused:
    It happens all the time in real life :oops:

:rolleyes: And that didn't need to be written or deemed acceptable...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

Man, ya take a break for a month or so, and elves sneak in...

18. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Ah, you were gone! I thought you had me on ignore almost like everyone else. Crap! Now he's on vacation again! hmmm He's posting again so that means... waitaminute!

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

Summer is a busy time for everyone, and discussions had degenerated into the same arguments hashed over with the same people. After R8, we are still having the same arguments, but now I'm able to make them with new people.

20. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

One thing that I've noticed is that zombies are really popular these days. Anybody want to play a zombie? No really? If you had the choice of all the various types of cool looking undead creatures who would choose a zombie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.