Britannian Mining Company (BMC)

Discussion in 'Player Groups & Guilds' started by Duke Ezekiel Cooper BMC, Jan 21, 2015.

1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Thank you............one of your l337 house hiders even fell off the roof...

L O L

How my guild and associates choose to treat your guild might have everything to do with your guilds general outlook and arrogance............to think otherwise is naive and yet another visible floor in your organisation.

2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Winter coming. ..... Heu War coming , I like it !

3. Poor game design

Poor game design Avatar

I have only respect for what BMC is doing. I'm not sure anyone is in a position to actually "fix" prices in pre-alpha or early after launch. I think the term "fix" is probably not the right one to use. Instead, I think what they're doing is providing a valuable service (so long as the general populace agrees with with assessment). After the first general assembly, I see no fault in that assessment. The prices seem reasonably based on the economic reality we're seeing in game.

[​IMG]

I also see no reason to suspect that BMC will be anything but a success. I find them to be highly organized, well led, and enjoyable to deal with.

@Abydos Did you mean a war of words (on the forums)? Or a pricing war (in game)? Perhaps when Shardfalls are actually worth fighting over we'll see some PVP? No matter how we look at it, I don't see BMC having much of a problem in any of those environments - certainly not based on anything I've read in this thread.

But that's why we play the game. To see who wins. If we could just make a lot of forum posts about it, I'd be king of the world. ;)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You could just help protect them in the shardfalls...................................I promise I wont heal myself.......pinky promise.

5. Poor game design

Poor game design Avatar

I have a feeling I won't be seeing much of you in Verdantis Shardfall, Envy. But please feel free to stop by if you're in town.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Stopped by your town last night.......looks cool :)

7. Poor game design

Poor game design Avatar

Thank you, it's a work in progress. The current template doesn't really allow me to do what I need to do. It will be much better in future releases, but the general concept is alive.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah price fixing always worked well in history....owait.
    But to be honest: I don't really care what BMC is doing. I guess they are free to try what they want. Like everybody else around here.
    I am courious how it will turn out though.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Verit

Verit Avatar

IMO:
    The BMC is making it easier for everyone to conduct business and have fair dealings. Even if you do not plan to follow BMC pricing, you will have an idea of prices being charged by a large group of crafters. I would rather this than having to run blindly from vendor to vendor checking prices. Without this, I imagine that it would take a long time for prices to stabilize.
    I dont see why this is getting such a negative response. The BMC was even taking input from people outside the guild too.

BMC is not some evil corporation. Watch the NBNN interview with the Duke. Talk to members. These are passionate caring folks who were ambitious and organized enough to get this done.

10. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

A lot of the membership of BMC are decent people but the hubris of some members and leaders will be the downfall of the guild.

Cooper was ushered in with a knighthood, a sword crafted by Lord British(which he wanted to keep and show to the world until the community checked him), and has since walked around with too heavy of a crown on his head. Graves comments sum up the general message of the BMC.

Price setting and arrogance will be their ultimate demise. Larger, more powerful groups will undercut their pricing and call for the boycott of BMC goods. The heir apparent will realize he has no clothes and so will the membership of the guild.

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I just noticed something........

Who really goes "tehehe"?

It's the sort of thing a guy would do in-game whilst pretending to be a girl in order to get free stuff. Is this a new BMC policy.....pretend to be girls to get free 'stuff' that they can then sell at highly inflated prices????

Time Lord and Alecs_Graham2 like this.
  12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I would tend to agree with the arrogance comments. I noticed it from day one when BMC started posting in the player marketplace, and it hasn't gone away.

500 members might be considered a good thing, but you might want to be more selective about your recruiting process. Just in the last 2 pages of this topic, BMC members have been flinging derogatory comments and insults.

Not what I would call progress, and definitely not what I would call professional.

Time Lord, Solazur, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  13. Poor game design

Poor game design Avatar

Actually it depends which side of the fence you're on. Price fixing works out great for some people.

OPEC:
    I filled up my car with gas today for $1.95 a gallon! :)

I'm certainly not suggesting that OPEC is my hero. But I do understand what one of the alternatives is.

Now, the BMC is not really OPEC. I think if Tantalus and Bear Tavern and BMC got together, THAT might be OPEC. But the point I'm trying to make is that there are good and bad things to all of this. BMC is just doing what's in their best interest, and there are benefits to the community by doing this - at least as it's being performed right now.

I personally enjoy knowing that the price list is out there and impacting the market place, I think in a positive way. The BMC may find it difficult (even with 500+ members) to expand their reach outside of the area they're in because of control points (we shall see).

Likewise, I suspect other groups will have the same problem. Each should be strong in their home locale, but weaker as they go up against competition that is further away from their center of strength. (again, we shall see)

But the same thing that allows me to get $1.95 gas today (OPEC) is also the same thing that may one day dry up all the oil from the planet. There's good and bad to it all, but I don't see price fixing, or more on topic "price listing" as some kind of horrible evil.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Time Lord, Webbler and 4EverLost like this.
  14. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

What is currently being sorted out is who do you want to manage the economy. You should reflect on all of the leadership in large guilds and decide which to support.

Some organizations are grass root movements within Shroud of the Avatar. Some were handed royal warrants upon entry into the game. BMC is never slow to tout their relationship with the devs.

The only problem with such a relationship is it is going to burn out quickly at launch. The extra help that the BMC receives is actually a handicap to their success. I doubt the top leadership of the BMC knows anything about crafting(probably never chopped a tree for that matter) or the economy simply because they were ushered in and didn't have to earn their place.

New Britannians will see it as it is and make economic choices and alliances accordingly.

I respect leaders that come from a place of knowledge and experience rather than a place of unearned favor.

15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Brigade – Bug Hunter

more as in more than zero?

i had several people send me invites to join their guilds without bothering to, y'know, actually talk to me about it first. i eventually got pissed off enough to create my own guild of one so the invites wouldn't show anymore. the tipping point was e. cooper standing at the entrance to owl's head flinging invites at everyone who walked by.

Time Lord, Solazur, Jatvardur and 5 others like this.
  16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I know......its brilliant. Who knows who he has actually recruited.

L O L

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Sayumi

Sayumi Avatar

Who received royal warrants without earning them and where just handed them?

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Royal warrants are issued to guilds. So anyone in the guild that has a royal warrant can use the title. This includes new players.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos
    You are telling me that one of the worst cartels in human history is good?
    The only reason your gas is that cheap at the moment is that the OPEC wants to destroy a handful of companys they have no control over. For example the Canadian and US companys that produce oil out of that oil-sand-stuff.
    Give it a year and you will complain about the price ;-)

Blake is right. The question is probably not IF somebody will control (parts) of the market. The question is WHO you want to control parts of the market. The BMC has a reputation. And that reputation changes from good to horrible depending on who you ask.

20. Poor game design

Poor game design Avatar

I'm not saying OPEC is good. I'm also not saying that the BMC is OPEC. I'm saying this is what happens in a player driven environment. I'm also saying that much like the real world there are control points in New Britannia that will make distribution and regional prices something that impact the game, greatly.

Since 98% of the world is PVE, and single player mode will allow me to always find available resources, I don't see how anyone will "control" the world. I'll always be able to find something on my own if I want to. That alone will keep player power considerably less important than in other games.

I'm failing to see how the sky is falling here. Can players stop other players from putting up vendors? No. Can players hog all the resources for themselves? Perhaps in Shardfalls because it's PVP, but outside of that, no. Can players stop other players from gathering and crafting resources? No. So what's the problem here? What are you really worried about specifically?

Time Lord likes this.