Britannian Mining Company (BMC)

Discussion in 'Player Groups & Guilds' started by Duke Ezekiel Cooper BMC, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

psssttt ...... in case you missed it ......... OPEC no longer enforces production quotas among its members ....... pass it on .......

In other news, let's keep this simple. The ability of an organization to control prices for a large portion of production is inevitably a bad thing for consumers, pricewise. That said, the economies of scale for a large producers (cartel, co-op, etc.) can indirectly create savings for consumers due to lower cost of production.

Bottom line - a very large well-organized guild will be able to harvest a disproportionate share of inputs/raw materials. When you combine that harvesting advantage with mass production, we may very well see quasi-monopolistic conditions for some materials and finished goods.

Further, if a very large guild is able to dominate harvesting, players may give up in their own harvesting efforts ("I can't find any ore") and further feed the monopoly ("I guess I have to buy from BMC at the prices they dictate").

The SotA world will probably be big and diverse enough to prevent true monopolies from forming. Also, presumably the devs will re-balance things if they see monopolistic conditions that threaten the integrity of the economy, i.e. they will make resources more plentiful which will be deflationary, and make monopolies harder to maintain.

Who knows how this will play out. Too early to tell.

I would love to corner a market or two in SotA. I just don't have the energy to create the organization capable of doing so.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. Poor game design

Poor game design Avatar

I did miss that actually. :)

I totally agree with this.

I don't agree with this. Selective Multiplayer and Single Player Online means that players will always have the ability to find resources.

I don't actually have a lot of faith in the developers ability to adjust the facets and sinks in a timely way. I think they will always be behind the curve, but yes in theory they could make it harder if they're better at this than I think they will be.

Time Lord and Budner like this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

At no point I said the sky is falling.
    Actually I said: I don't care much.
    ^^

Time Lord likes this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The sky isn't falling ........ But the rivers throughout Novia may run red with the blood of BMC members :)

Time Lord, Arianna and Vrunk Hrrk like this.
  5. Poor game design

Poor game design Avatar

Sorry, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. It was a figure of speech.

6. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Already happend?
    Blood River Massacre? :eek:
    [​IMG]

7. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

In order to control a market, you need to bring fear into all "outsiders" , like gangs do IRL . " This is my area, if you try to sell here.... " etc.

This is not the case in SOTA, there is noone that can stop me from just going to get my own resources.

Also, supply vs demand.

So - Nice try - But no. Just no.

Time Lord, Kaisa, Spoon and 1 other person like this.
  8. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

Very entertaining read...
    Thanks for the input folks...

9. Spoon

Spoon Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

I do think the effect is two-fold though.
    1)
    One of the stated goals of the exercise is to stabalize pricing, and I do think that being the first and only org to publizise pricing lists, they will have such an effect on the market.
    This simply due to precedent. When crafter Joe and Jane in Outlanderville is going to put their stuff at the vendor, then the only way to get an idea for pricing is through trial and error on the vendor. Lots of work and lots of worrying about setting them right. But now Joe and Jane have an alternative option in checking out the BMC price list and undercut that with whatever margin seems necessary. This means that there will be less variance in both ends of the bell curve and slightly tighten it and nudge it towards that BMC price list.
    If the BMC guild members would also trade at those prices (not really enforced yet in the game) then that trade would also tighten the bell curve and nudge it towards the BMC price list.
    This effect would then of course go away, if some other large guild/organization would publizise similar lists if those got popular and so on. But right now they are the only ones who do.
    2)
    Being pre-alpha with wipes its an exercise in futility to have such enforced rules. So I make a prediction that BMC simply won't enforce them, since that is what I can already see starting to happen in the game.
    This since the prices fluctuates with the wipes. Right after a wipe prices are much much lower in general, while right at the end of a wipe prices are much much higher in general. Add some variance for exploits used and nerfed. So depending on when the general assembly takes place in this ebb and flow it will always be off.
    To then set a fixed price will be crippling to members who follow the rules, but not members who don't follow rules, or members who simply circumvent the whole list by only dabbling in goods outside the list, like 1 tier down.

Time Lord, Xavier and Jatvardur like this.
  10. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Agree to disagree and keep it civil and respectful, guys. There is a lot of insulting going on here and I've had to clean up a few posts.

11. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Make sure you get em all Mystic... The trolling of the BMC is just outrageous!!! I truly feel violated... LOL!!! ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I apologize Zeke. I wish they wouldn't have moderated the honeymoon suite comment though.

13. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

It's ok Blake, and I apologize for cursing at ya in our mumble the other night... Passionate players we are, and we both should be proud that we are... We're a dying breed... Safe travels to you sir. :)

Time Lord, Beaumaris and Mata like this.
  14. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Congratulations Britannian Mining Company
    9/14/2015
    600 Members

15. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

16. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

A gift from the BMC to the public, courtesy of Jakub White (BMC)
    http://www.sotamap.com/

Oh... And the BMC is recruiting BMC Members too... ;)

17. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

That's pretty awesome Zeke.

Nice work Jakub!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

@Jakub White
    Great work there, kudos to you and a bunch of internet cookies.

19. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

THIS KID IS OFF THE CHAIN!!! LMAO!!!
    !!!CHECK THIS OUT!!!

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Paklo

Paklo Avatar

Hey guys, I'd love to be part of your guild. In my old age I have limited time to play but I've played and still sometimes play most of the Ultima library, and I'm a member of Ultima Dragons (Apsalar Dragon). Sounds like you guys are here for Ultima too (so many guilds are young kids mainly interested in getting the best gear and "winning"). How do I go about joining? My character is named Paklo Neri.

Time Lord likes this.