Brittany

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matheryn, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

So I logged on today to take a stroll through the capital of Brittany and what was my first thoughts.

I thought hmmmmm this place is obviously not a capital but rather a city starting to come togeather with all the debris on the ground and unfinished buildings and building materials laying around, but that didn't discourage me as I thought ah well at least there is production going on. So I explored a little further in and saw some of the different player housing all over the place not looking so impressive as almost every 2nd house looked the same but hay the game is still new so I'm sure we will get more variety eventually. I found myself at the warf and found the boat scape to be interesting though not being able to explore inside the boats was a little disappointing so I ventured forth and came upon Castle Brittany, I walked inside with high hopes but found it to look little more than a keep, the staircase's were dismal, the tappastries were torn his lordships bed was a single 4 post bed which was disheartening, the feast hall looked like a few tables strung togeather in an Inn, all in all I was quite disappointed.

Soltown as complicated as it is to navigate seemed a lot larger than Brittany even Owl's Head seemed larger. I feel sorry for Lord British as his former Capitals and Castles in the land of Britannia were enormous and opulent and now he has to settle for this, it seems a travesty. I hope this is just early stages and they realise that they need to go bigger and bolder to give it the justice it deserves

Leelu likes this.
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Maybe there is a reason the castle looks run down or abandoned. We know Lord Brtish doesn't live there. Nor does his wife. Part of the story? The reason we were summoned to New Britannia?

3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

This is extremely interesting because it is the exact opposite of my impression of Britanny. I love the town and it is the only town I enter simply to stroll through. For a town in a medieval setting I find it to be quite grand. It just goes to show how people's viewpoints differ :).

Regarding the size - I keep getting lost already, and this is only the central part of the town. In R30 another part of Brittany will appear - the agricultural sector.

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Just one pice of Info:
    It's not his Castle. He isn't living in Britanny at all.
    It's Lady British's Seat of ehhh Power...i guess. Well at least she is living there.

5. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

don't get me wrong kara brae Brittany is lovely to look at but it does feel more town\city over a capital - I found it pretty easy to navigate although when I go to soltown now there is one I struggle to find my way around

Xandra7, Ice Queen and Kara Brae like this.
  6. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

then I'm even more mortified that he would let a woman live there with the rickety staircases and shabby tappistries

Leelu and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Maybe they don't have the best relation ;-) nah, dunno. What I know is that his City won't be in before... was it in ep1 but long after launch or was it not before ep2... well, it will take some time untill we see it ^^

8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

This is something I struggle to understand as well, since Soltown is one of the few places I never got lost in :). The layout is pretty basic - one straight road with a couple of side streets, one of them a loop. EDIT: Map from sotamap.com
    [​IMG]

9. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

oh wait my bad kara brae ive misled you I thought it was soltown but I ment the one that used to connect to Kingsport aka the large coastal town just next to soltown - was that solnaria or something like that

Leelu and Kara Brae like this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Adoris.
    I like it because of the water. The Layout is meh ^^

11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Ah, you mean Ardoris! I fully understand what you mean now. The difficulty with Ardoris are the canals and the bridges that make you go out of your way to get from a to b. The first time I had a row lot there on the outskirts, I made practice runs just to figure out the quickest way to get to the town square and be able to find my way back. Now that I know my way around I forgot about how difficult it was at first.

12. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

yeah that place is massive with 2 large castles either side of the city and so much going on inbetween it was daunghting I accually got lost for almost an hour trying to navigate through the alleys and the kings palace that you go see there for that quest is really massive and nicely done aswell

Leelu, Ice Queen and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  13. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

The complexity of Ardoris led to a lot of performance issues earlier on. I suspect Brittainy was broken into several scenes back then, as they expect the capital to be even busier.

Leelu likes this.
  14. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Note: Brittany proper is the union of FIVE scenes. What you're strolling about is only the center/port/castle scene.

15. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Of course he's doesn't. It's made of pixels. You can't live in pixels.

You were summoned? How did you mange that? I had to buy my way in with a pledge.

16. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

you can live in pixels - I live in them everyday lol - remember were all pixels on someones computer - the gods have a crazy sense of humour.
    as for being summoned well I wasent summoned I just tripped and just happened to fall through this big blue ball of electricity and mist, and here I was thinking I was lucky that it was a soft landing, little did I know I ended up in a land where women get adorned with rickety staircases and ripped tappistries while the lord is off doing god knows what, and who is this mysterious Oracle that we keep having to talk to? god I hope its not that silly bugger from the Ultima 7 and 8 timeline, god knows how twisted he is, just look how he warped Batlins mind with the church of the serpent (cant remember its exact title) all I know is when Manann, the god of water speaks to me, I listen.
    P.S. I live in Spite - not the emotion but the town or village or whatever it is, although having the emotion could come in handy although I like the word Malace better. So anyway feel free to friend me up sometime my forum name is also my in game name

17. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

The Matrix was a m-o-v-i-e.

18. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

was it a movie or was it a movie based on real life?
    are we really in the matrix and fooled into not realising it and having the matrix make us believe that what we were shown was a form of fantasy?
    are we really people playing pixels on SOTA or are we accually part of the SOTA world and all brainwashed into thinking that were accually outside the world playing pixel people?
    yes that is the question
    NOW WHERE IS MY DAM BLUE PILL hahahahahaa

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I think this is a great observation. I hope the team continues to find ways to get prequel (Sword of Midras) lore into the game to explain that Novia is between between something organized and something new to come.

In many regards, us Outlanders are the ones arriving to create the 'something to come' part. We the one to bring the world alive next, and are being given the tools to do that.

Any lack of creativity in player housing lot by lot is temporary. Wait until final wipe happens and players can create real homes.

Sir Frank likes this.
  20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Perhaps it has to do with the forest canopy of Soltown creating a sense of tighter organization for a smaller town. The vistas are long in Brittany, and its easier to see what might appear as clutter until player development occurs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.