Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Broken textures

Discussion in 'Release 55 Feedback' started by Barugon, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

These are legacy trees/bushes and in order to "fix" them without updating to 2018 we would have to replace them with speed tree versions which would require us to i) design a new version in speed tree and/or choose an alternative, then ii) visit every scene in which these exist and modify the terrain files manually. If this were a quick fix the art team would have done it back when it was reported.

Elwyn, Sara Dreygon and Beaumaris like this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

The way prefabs works is that, if you change the prefab, all instances of that object gets updated across your entire project/game. It's one of the easiest way to work with ALL your assets. If they did it any other way, like copy/pasting a non-prefab object, then I hope there's a good technical reason that I'm not aware of... because, in my mind, not using prefabs would be a logistical nightmare.

I'm not trying to say that, with the way that you guys have it set up, it'd be a quick process; I don't know how you guys are organized. I can understand the time it would take to build a new tree but the "replacing" step has me confused. Is it because you'd have over 300 scenes to re-compile somehow because there's no way of knowing which scene used the old assets or because you'd have to manually replace each asset in every scene? If it's the latter then that leads me to believe that you guys aren't using prefabs for some reason. If that's the case, I'd be interested in knowing if there was any technical reasons behind the decision.

Again: I don't know your team's workflow but, at quick glace, that sounds like more trouble than it should.

I'm not criticizing, I'm just genuinely confused and curious.

Aeryk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.