1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Bug: Equipment Durability Loss

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Attenwood, Mar 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hello Avatars!

We are currently aware of a nasty bug that affects the durability of all equipped items. It's currently possible for players to enter a state where their characters will be flagged to receive a "Death Penalty" on each relog where all worn items will get a durability hit of 5. This state occurs when players exit adventure scenes as a ghost in order to respawn on the overworld.

This bug can be avoided by using in-scene ankhs, waiting out the death timer, or being resurrected by other players instead of respawning through zoning. If players are already in this state, performing another natural death and resurrecting in one of the ways listed above will put your character flags back into a correct state where no more loss will occur on relog. We recommend doing so in towns/cities so that no further Death Penalty will trigger as part of the workaround.

We have a fix prepared to go out with Release 52, and apologize for any inconvenience that may have occurred while this bug has been present.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Thanks for the update. So how does one go about killing themselves without incurring xp decay when dieing and resurrecting?

3. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

die in a town - there is no death penalty for dying in towns as far as they are no adventure zones

4. Attenwood

No Death Penalty is triggered when dying in towns and POTs. Only adventure scenes. Dying and resurrecting from an ankh in a town should do the trick. :)

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

So to be more specific, go to a Town (NPC or POT) and find a nice high spot to jump off of. ;)

Retlaw likes this.
  6. Koss

Koss Avatar

Why are we not patching on the fly? This makes no sense??????

Weins201 likes this.
  7. Attenwood

Knowing the expectations for development time ramping up for commercial launch with Release 52, a "soft stop" was necessary for studio attention to be focused on creating, implementing, and testing new content for the upcoming release. Every patch "on the fly" takes development time away from new content as any patch runs the risk of introducing new unexpected breaks which would then require more patches.

With a bug that was at the time 1. reported infrequently and 2. has working methods to both avoid outright or fix if in the state, the team determined it not worth the risk of rushing a patch over. Especially now that we're so close to the next release, already being tested.

8. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

So every time I log in, until release 52, I will have to kill myself in town before I log out to avoid a durability loss?

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

no, just once. ..unless you leave a scene as a ghost again.

Elwyn and Barugon like this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Come to Dara Brae and Visit the nice Celtic Stone Circle on top of our highest hill (where the first Yew Tree of New Britannia is) and take a nice flying leap. :D

Jaesun, Daxxe Diggler, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
  11. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

I'm confused, I never leave a scene as a ghost and I get this bug when I don't die and just log in and out.

12. Attenwood

Something must have triggered the death penalty. Potentially dying, logging out, and when returning to the game picking Start on World Map which could have a similar effect. It's possible to have been in this state from one bad death-resurrection event days and/or weeks ago.

The only way for this issue to occur is if your character was at one time put into a state where it should have received a death penalty, and just failed to update that it had already been done. Release 52 will fix this. Until then, dying once and resurrecting normally in any of the ways listed above should operate as a proper workaround.

rpgmaniac82 likes this.
  13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It would have been so nice for you to have posted this information when the bug first came to your attention. Please, please be more proactive about such things in future. :)

Olthadir, Weins201 and Grimbone like this.
  14. Attenwood

Absolutely

Cordelayne and Kara Brae like this.
  15. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

This is a great example of information to die for.

Thwip and Kara Brae like this.
  16. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

To save time dealing with this issue, I suggest the developers give us a one-time full repair on all equipment. Raising everyone's max durability to the max will shut everyone up immediately.:)

Xebulante, Arcanoxer, Spoon and 6 others like this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

True.

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

A simple fix to actually please players, would be a simple reset at R52 to give all items Max Durability, since you have no idea how many players have had this happen and it has obviously cost some player dearly. I have had to use some COTOs a few time and find out today, that there was a "fix / Workaround?

Oh and it affected my Artifacts also which cost ALOT more to repair.

Aldo beat me to it LoL

Aldo, Kara Brae and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  19. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Agreed on refreshing all equipment dura for R52. Would be a nice gesture especially considering some of us have used COTOs.

Bink and Aldo like this.
  20. Drasvar Spiderglum

Drasvar Spiderglum Avatar

They could also reset the number of times an item has been fully repaired by COTOs back to zero, now that really would be a nice gesture :)

Thwip, Bink, Weins201 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.