Building PaxLair Player Town - Release 7

Discussion in 'Guild & Town Hall' started by Winfield, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

[​IMG]
    PaxLair Player Town in Release 7
    June 26-29, 2014​
    We are building PaxLair ("Peace Place") Player Town in Release 7 like we started in R6 and R5. We will be building in Valemark again.​
    Planned Events: Time Zone Converter #1 and Time Zone Converter #2 - Central U.S. Time (CDT) is GMT-5 hours. (which is BST (London)-6 hours right now).​

PaxLair Gathering Times in Valemark are shown below. We want to really test our abilities to meet with people across the world during R7. So please come to PaxLair / Valemark at the dates and times below. We will hopefully have plenty of people at each time to talk to, wander around, craft items, and organize some adventures. We will just have to see!

Visit the Mazes!
    Schedule:
    • Thursday, June 26​
      • 12 PM (Noon) CDT - News.
        -- 17:00 GMT -- 18:00 London -- Friday, 03:00 Australia/Sydney​
      • 7 PM CDT - News.
        -- Friday, 00:00 GMT -- Friday, 01:00 London -- Friday, 10:00 Australia/Sydney​
    • Friday, June 27​
      • 4 AM CDT - News.
        -- 09:00 GMT -- 10:00 London -- 19:00 Australia/Sydney​
        -- 17:00 GMT -- 18:00 London -- Saturday, 03:00 Australia/Sydney​
      • 7 PM CDT - Canceled.
        -- Saturday, 00:00 GMT -- Saturday, 01:00 London -- Saturday, 10:00 Australia/Sydney
        • Town Meeting
    • Saturday, June 28​
      • 4 AM CDT - News.
        -- 09:00 GMT -- 10:00 London -- 19:00 Australia/Sydney​
        -- 17:00 GMT -- 18:00 London -- Sunday, 03:00 Australia/Sydney​
      • 7 PM CDT - News.
        -- Sunday, 00:00 GMT -- Sunday, 01:00 London -- Sunday, 10:00 Australia/Sydney
    • Sunday, June 29​
    • Friday, July 4 - PaxLair Gathering (Valemark Entrance)
      • 7 PM CDT
        -- Saturday, 00:00 GMT -- Saturday, 01:00 London -- Saturday, 10:00 Australia/Sydney
    • Sunday, July 6 - PaxLair Meeting (Upper Meadow, Valemark)
      • 7 PM CDT
        -- Monday, 00:00 GMT -- Monday, 01:00 London -- Monday, 10:00 Australia/Sydney

PaxLair is an OPEN community for people, guilds, establishments, and wanderers. PaxLair will be a metropolis sized Player Owned Town when SotA is released to the public. We are building PaxLair using our experiences with PaxLair in Old Britannia (Ultima Online) since 1998 (and still running). We are also using new ideas and meeting new people. These pre-Alpha releases help us get to know people, try out ideas, see what works and does not work, and have fun.​
    This thread is for our journal of activities/progress, questions and answers, and interaction with anyone and everyone. We want to meet our neighbors, hold some events, wander on adventures, and get to know each other in this new realm.​
    So please look for us. Most existing PaxLair citizens will have a last name of Pax or PaxLair, but in the final release, we will probably not have such last names.​
    Remember, we are building a town... not a guild. Many people and guilds can be in PaxLair.​
    See Also:​

Location: We are building PaxLair in Valemark again. We hope many will join us!​
    [​IMG]
    Valemark lot map (drawn by Ashlynn)​
    [​IMG]
    Dragonspeed!​
    Winfield, Old Man of PaxLair​

2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Good Work. I Loveeeeeeee.

Time Lord and Winfield like this.
  3. Winfield

I added R7 event times and days to the OP (start of this thread). We will do our absolute best to be around at least 3 times per day to hold town meetings and other events. The times are indicated in CDT (Central U.S. Time), GMT, and Australia/Sydney time with a Time Converter link so you can get times for your time zone.

We want to reach out to the world-wide community, since in SotA, we are one community!

Please pass the word to all your world-wide friends!

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Thank you for posting those times, Winfield! Ah, at last I know when everyone will be around :D (Won't have to worry about arriving when PaxLair is deserted this time :p)

Time Lord, Amberraine and Winfield like this.
  5. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I'd love to help you guys out with events if I can, but it would have to be the later weekend time-slots as I won't be able to get online for the others. (Not getting up before 3am even for you, Winfield! ;) ) Let me know if there's anything in particular I can do to help. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Winfield

Things will be pretty fluid. Even the gatherings will be very impromptu except for a few being planned like town meetings and a welcome quest.

So as we come up with ideas, near real-time, you'll be needed I'm sure. No telling what 4-10 creative minded people who are idling in one spot and looking for something to do might do! .... "see that rock, let's go climb it!" or "Let's invade Violation's house ... I hear he is trying to decorate." or "oh, let's have a parade through Owl's Head and shout out ... PaxLair! PaxLair!" or "let's go kill some elves... er the bad elves I mean" or "Who has a great story to tell, or a Fish Song to sing?"

I imagine every gathering will have its own fun and needs.

7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

NOOO INVASION OF LAG!!! I mean, hey guys what's up?

Time Lord, BurningToad and Winfield like this.
  8. Winfield

I will be attending RTX2014 on Saturday, July 5, 2014 in Austin TX. I plan to see the Shroud of the Avatar in booth #235 !! It would be great to see many SotA players if possible.

I started a thread of who might attend and who is interested in what happens. See: Who is going to RTX 2014 in Austin, July 4-6, 2014?

Please pass the word to friends. It would be great for SotA players to meet up at such an opportunity. I wonder if we can play in R7 Part 2 if they run it and we bring our laptops. Maybe PaxLair will still be there in R7 too!

Time Lord and Jatvardur like this.
  9. Eternal Knight

Eternal Knight Avatar

Does anyone need or want a double lot for building or having community area?
    I can plan on claiming a certain lot that touches another lot and let others build or create on it.
    Just let me know. It does not matter to me if I decorate.
    Putting the option out there if needed.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Winfield

Maybe lots 41 and 42 in the Middle meadow? I think those are close to each other, parallel, and a good central spot.

Valemark Wiki page has the map.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Net

Net Avatar

Well, my goal is to have house as close to Riya's maze as possible, so I think I will be joining PaxLair/Valemark this release. I really hope that PaxLair will get much bigger, 42 lots is great number but too small.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Net

Net Avatar

When you leave the overland map to enter Valemark, where do you appear on this map?

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Winfield

You appear on the western edge, that entrance you see. You will first see the town crier, can ask him "how many lots are there?" or just "lots" I think and he will tell you how many are open. We start with 42 lots.

Then you can go right to what we call the tree circle, or left to the lower meadow.

You can exit from any place you see the external roads.

Hope this helps!

14. Net

Net Avatar

It does, thank you.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Polution

Polution Avatar

found it!, looking forward to PaxLair. :)

Wish i had more time, i'll have to wait till Friday afternoon (or later).
    Sorry TownDrunk, i'm slow to type and communicating felt a bit awkward, well, at least for me. heheh

[​IMG]

Time Lord and Winfield like this.
  16. Winfield

We are very excited about R7. PaxLair is in Valemark again as you know. Just get there as soon as you can and grab a house location. Ask the Town Crier about "lots" when you enter and he will tell you how many are still unclaimed. We have 42 lots total.

See everyone Thursday morning! Dragonspeed! Remember, schedule is on the OP of this thread.

17. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

I have just finished bringin Valemark (my bot) online. So for anyone who isn't sure how to get to PAXLair, just type "/zone Valemark" and you'll zone to the intersection just south of plot 9.

18. Winfield

We had our first PaxLair Gathering at Noon (Central US Time) on Thursday. Was great fun! I explained a little bit about PaxLair and the Valemark. Everyone introduced themselves and we saw the two great mazes under construction by Net (the wardrobe maze) and Riya (the bookshelf maze). Earlier, Darkstarr came and saw the mazes too. They should be completed in about 24 hours or less.

We enjoyed meeting people from the UK and other parts of Europe and Canada and the U.S. Remember, we are gathering up at (Central US Time) at Noon, 7 PM, and 4AM every day through Sunday to be able to see people from all over the world in PaxLair.

Thanks for coming out and we have a LOT more information to tell everyone at each gathering. Future gatherings may lead to dungeon adventures and more events.
    [​IMG]
    Meeting at the Upper Meadow in PaxLair, Valemark​
    [​IMG]
    Seeing the mazes under construction.​
    [​IMG]
    Darkstarr visited a little earlier. We mentioned we were borrowing lots of candelabras from Kingsport. He gave us some advice.​

Time Lord, Brian, Jatvardur and 4 others like this.
  19. Net

Net Avatar

OK, this is probably the best place to ask for a bit of help. To complete the maze tomorrow I need:
    - ~400 wardrobes ( I am not sure how many levels I will be able to do but it seems that it is possible to go at least 5 or 6.
    - 6 candelabras
    - 6 chairs

Since I will be offline now (I have to sleep and I might work a litle) I think that the best place to store these items for me is in one of the Winfield's chests (I prefer the one next to the wardrobe). Alternatively I need a lot of wood or wood boards;)

I would also like to thank everyone helping me to get resources, I already managed to finish the first floor and to start making the second one.

PS: It was great to meet you all.

Time Lord, Soleidad and Arianna like this.
  20. Winfield

We had our second PaxLair gathering at 7 PM (Central US Time) on Thursday. It was a wonderful time. We met people across the U.S. and some from Germany too! Thanks for staying up so late!

We spent more time in the Central Meadow this time and saw some of the crafting going on there. There were lots of questions about PaxLair government and someone asked about our PaxLair goals -- a great question.

PaxLair's goals as a city are pretty simple. First, to build a fully functional, immersive city with all that makes sense to do and be in a city. Such as guards, ambassadors, commerce, crafters, many guilds and citizens, houses, events, festivals, and government too that includes justice, jail, planning for war or defense, etc. Second, to work with as many guilds and towns as possible through treaties, alliances, and friendships. PaxLair is not an island in the community, it is integrated into the community. Third, PaxLair will do all we can to help new people (new players) get a start in SotA, learn things, get equipped if needed, and become active in communities too.​

Some other questions were about combat. Would PaxLair be a combat (PVP) city? We know it will not always be set as a combat town. The specific features for combat in a player owned town setting are still not known.

To get involved in PaxLair, it takes getting to know us in the Releases and the Forums. Each release offers more capabilities to test as a town. I think in R8, we will be looking to write books and make a library. Hopefully there are more guest accesses in houses to do that. We are also not in a hurry to sign people up to PaxLair. We want people to get to know us and us them. In fact, most of the building of PaxLair will occur after the Public Release as we get to know more people.

Oh, we had a great treat at the end of our gathering. Duke Greagoir was there from the Celtic Holdfast that is established in Northshire during R7. It also has an amazing guild house for the Celtic Order of Druids and Bards!

[​IMG]
    Gathered at the middle meadow​
    [​IMG]
    Jumping around (hey, no jumping) in Riya's Maze (still under construction).​
    [​IMG]
    Visiting Duke Greagoir's Celtic Holdfast in Northshire (just inside the entrance on the left).​
    [​IMG]
    Heading to the guild house of the Celtic Order of Druids and Bards.​

Thanks for coming!

Our next PaxLair gathering is at 4 AM Central Time, Friday morning. We hope to see plenty of people from the Far East and Australia! Everyone can come and meet everyone! We meet in the upper meadow of Valemark and you can /zone Winfield PaxLair just before 4 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.