Building PaxLair Player Town - Release 8

Discussion in 'Guild & Town Hall' started by Winfield, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

[​IMG]
    PaxLair Player Town in Release 8
    July 24-27, 2014​
    We are building PaxLair ("Peace Place") Player Town in Release 8 like we did in R7, R6, and R5. We are planning to build in Valemark again.​

Planned Events: Time Zone Converter #1 and Time Zone Converter #2 - Central U.S. Time (CDT) is GMT-5 hours. (which is BST (London)-6 hours right now).​

PaxLair Gathering Times in Valemark are shown below. Also see Avatars Circle Community Events calendar.

Schedule (see the end of this post for descriptions about the events that don't have Links):
    • Thursday, July 24​
      • 12 PM (Noon) CDT - PaxLair Gathering
        -- 17:00 GMT -- 18:00 London -- Friday, 03:00 Australia/Sydney​
      • 7 PM CDT - PaxLair Gathering
        -- Friday, 00:00 GMT -- Friday, 01:00 London -- Friday, 10:00 Australia/Sydney​
    • Friday, July 25​
      • 4 AM CDT - PaxLair Gathering
        -- 09:00 GMT -- 10:00 London -- 19:00 Australia/Sydney​
      • 12 PM (Noon) CDT - PaxLair Gathering
        -- 17:00 GMT -- 18:00 London -- Saturday, 03:00 Australia/Sydney​
      • 7 PM CDT - PaxLair Gathering
        -- Saturday, 00:00 GMT -- Saturday, 01:00 London -- Saturday, 10:00 Australia/Sydney
    • Saturday, July 26​
        -- 09:00 GMT -- 10:00 London -- 19:00 Australia/Sydney​
      • 12 PM (Noon) CDT - Welcome Quest
        -- 17:00 GMT -- 18:00 London -- Monday, 03:00 Australia/Sydney
      • 7 PM CDT - PaxLair Gathering​
      • -- Sunday, 00:00 GMT -- Sunday, 01:00 London -- Sunday, 10:00 Australia/Sydney
    • Sunday, July 27​
        -- 09:00 GMT -- 10:00 London -- 19:00 Australia/Sydney
      • 5 AM CDT - House Decorations Tour 1
        -- 10:00 GMT -- 11:00 London -- 20:00 Australia/Sydney
      • 11:30 AM CDT - The Bear Tavern Brawl R8 - PVP Tournament - Current Brackets
      • -- 16:30 GMT -- 17:30 London -- Monday, 02:30 Australia/Sydney
      • 5 PM CDT - House Decorations Tour 2
        -- 23:00 GMT -- Monday, 00:00 London -- Monday, 09:00 Australia/Sydney
      • 7 PM CDT - PaxLair Town Meeting - Town Hall
        -- Monday, 00:00 GMT -- Monday, 01:00 London -- Monday, 10:00 Australia/Sydney
      • 8 PM CDT - PaxLair Adventure!! Into the dungeons or PVP!
        -- Monday, 01:00 GMT -- Monday, 02:00 London -- Monday, 11:00 Australia/Sydney
    PaxLair is an OPEN community for people, guilds, establishments, and wanderers. PaxLair will be a metropolis sized Player Owned Town when SotA is released to the public. We are building PaxLair using our experiences with PaxLair in Old Britannia (Ultima Online) since 1998 (and still running). We are also using new ideas and meeting new people. These pre-Alpha releases help us get to know people, try out ideas, see what works and does not work, and have fun.​
    This thread is for our journal of activities/progress, questions and answers, and interaction with anyone and everyone. We want to meet our neighbors, hold some events, wander on adventures, and get to know each other in this new realm.​
    So please look for us. Most existing PaxLair citizens will have a last name of Pax or PaxLair, but in the final release, we will probably not have such last names.​
    Remember, we are building a town... not a guild. Many people and guilds can be in PaxLair.​
    See Also:​

Location: We are building PaxLair in Valemark again. We hope many will join us!​
    [​IMG]
    Valemark lot map (drawn by Ashlynn)​
    [​IMG]
    Descriptions of Events on the Schedule:
    PaxLair Gathering - A simple Meet and Greet event to see and learn more about PaxLair and to meet other people too.​
    • Starts at the entrance to Valemark.​
    • Includes a description of what PaxLair is as a player town and how and why it is being created. This is a good time to learn a bit, ask questions, and get to know people.​
    • Takes you on a short tour through the town's houses as currently built and decorated.​
    • For repeat visitors, this is always a good time to relax, talk to the PaxLair people and friends, and maybe even learn a few more things.​
    • Repeats a few times per day so people across the "world" can attend.​
    House Decorations Tours - A casual walk across The Hidden Vale to see houses of interesting design and decorations. This is not a contest, just a stroll.
    • This event could last an hour or a lot longer depending on what places are on the list to see. People may come and go from this event at any time.
    • Starts at the entrance to Valemark. To join during the tour, just /zone Winfield PaxLair
    • Will go through some housing in PaxLair (Valemark) first, then head to other towns.
    • Home owners on the tour list do not need to be present to be visited.
    • To have your house on the tour list, just reach Winfield PaxLair in R8, or send a Conversation (PM) here on these forums to Winfield.
    PaxLair Town Meeting - Town Hall - An official PaxLair Town Meeting - everyone is invited to attend and participate.
    • Starts at the Town Hall in PaxLair (Valemark) - lot # TBD.
    • Lasts no more than 1 hour.
    • Seeks to get a lot of PaxLair Veterans to attend and meet new friends in New Britannia.
    • Discusses latest designs and development of PaxLair.
    PaxLair Adventure!! Into the dungeons or PVP! - A gathering of adventurers and guards! Everyone is welcome.
    • Starts at the Town Hall in PaxLair (Valemark) - lot # TBD
    • Lasts at least an hour, perhaps more.
    • Will form parties and more parties if needed.
    • Can be a dungeon crawl or go fight PVP, or both!
    • Use of Team Speak 3 is encouraged but not required (server address available at the event).

2. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I will build something there!

3. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

Good luck Winfield on Paxlair R8, I will lend a hand :)

StarLord, Soleidad, Samlee and 4 others like this.
  4. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Maybe is not as impressive, but anyway i did it fast! ^_^ My Memorial Day Monument is back!

5. Winfield

The Bear Tavern is running The Bear Tavern Brawl R8 - see this posting. It is a PVP tournament.

The tournament organizers are using http://challonge.com/ (a free online tournament system - first time I used it) which looks pretty impressive to keep track of tournaments. I imagine there are other tournaments that can be managed with the similar system.

It will be fun to see who the best Brawler is! Go sign up. The Brawl will be on the last day of the R8 schedule (Sunday).

6. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Hello Winfield, I would like to sattle down in a Paxlair row house ...after the really,really release ;)
    Is lot 4 still available?... if you all want to have me as a neighbour :p

7. Winfield

Hi Gaelis, We won't be using the Valemark map for PaxLair when the final release comes out. It will be different I'm sure. So the Valemark map we are using for these Releases are just to test the ideas. So in R8, you will need to "rush" to get lot #4 if you want it for R8 in Valemark.

As for you settling in PaxLair in the Public Release in a row house, that is a good possibility. We aren't committing yet to people to have lots in PaxLair since we don't have a scene developed. We are also still getting to know everyone through the Releases, which is great fun! So please hang in there with us, and if you still like us and our approaches, and others interested in PaxLair along the way ... closer to Public Release, then we will have a more concrete way to sign people up just prior to Public Release or in the weeks after.

8. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

Ah, ok,thank you, so I'm looking forward to all Events in R8 so far
    .... and I will "rush" :D

9. Samlee

Samlee Avatar

I can attest to the great fun to be had during the gatherings in PaxLair (Valemark), and the tours arranged by Winfield and friends. If you want to see and gain insights into the art of the "possible" so far, you simply have to take a few tours in person!

"Welcome home!"

-Sam

10. Sole

Sole Avatar

I hope to join PaxLair community as well in R8!

Prince Guni, Samlee, NANOC and 2 others like this.
  11. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

neighbours again !! That would be great :D

12. Winfield

During R8, we'd like to try out the PaxLair Guards concept.

Here's the concept: a PaxLair guild that will be created in the future that has casual role-playing within our town system of government, and can be heavily involved in PVP and PVE, protecting citizens and adventure parties, and being the military muscle for PaxLair strategic objectives (yes, PaxLair as an immersive town will have military objectives too). The Guards can go on defensive and offensive maneuvers and fight with a purpose handed down by the Mayor of PaxLair or according to their standing orders.​

Of course in R8, "Guilds" are not a capability in SotA yet, so the PaxLair Guards will be notional -- yet we will seek to publish news about the Guards and what happens. We will even post the R8 guards membership.

NANOC will be our Captain of the Guard to organize people and run things in R8. We are looking for volunteers to be part of the PaxLair Guard to help with ideas and have some fun. Participation during R8 DOES NOT obligate nor commit you to be part of the PaxLair Guards in the future. This is just testing. And you don't need to hang out with the PaxLair Guards during all of R8. If we get 3 or 10 people, that would be grand! We have access to a TeamSpeak 3 server to help. There will probably be some "rally times" when the whole guard tries to get together during R8. Please work with NANOC.

If you are interested, please just reach NANOC with a conversation thread on these forums, or reply to this thread. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    NANOC leading us through dangerous paths!​

Prince Guni, Soleidad and Samlee like this.
  13. Batoche1864

Batoche1864 Avatar

I just have to say "Kudos" to Ashlynn for the Valemark lot map.

It's wonderfully done and has the right mix of art and function to be brilliantly useful. I wish that whatever wiki becomes dominate after release has town maps of this quality for all locations.

It's this kind fan support hand-in-hand with great guilds that really makes a game a community.

I'll certainly try to drop by and catch some of your events this release.

Have fun everyone.

Prince Guni, Gaelis, Samlee and 3 others like this.
  14. Winfield

Bandits Hollow - the dead end road east of the Middle Meadow.
    A house decoration and potential role-playing idea.

We've named some areas in Valemark before -- like the Middle Meadow became known as the Nobles Meadow in R6 due to many tall, knight buildings. Perhaps we can do this for another area for fun and see what is newsworthy.

There's a nice little dead end road just east of the high-traffic road between Upper and Middle Meadows. The road has lots 31, 32, 33, and 34. Lots 30 and 35 could be part of the road too, particularly using houses with back doors. The road ends in some amazing rock structures to the east.

[​IMG]
    The dead end road lends itself for seclusion, almost secretive seclusion. People don't wander through there much. The rock formations provide good lookout spots to see who is passing by the road or entering.

If Valemark were a PVP zone, this would make a very interesting attack and defend environment. But in R8, there is no PVP in Valemark that we know of.

So in the spirit of testing, a bit of role-playing, decorating houses with a theme, and creating some news (perhaps even become a Point of Interest in the http://www.sotatravelguide.com), I suggest interested people grab one of those house lots and play a bit of the "Bandit". Verbally challenge people coming into Bandits Hollow and strike up an interesting conversation. Of course, we have no control over who may place a house in that area during the R8 land rush. Some people placing a house there will likely not even hear of this idea. But, it's all in fun and another way to get to know people in the community.

Any ideas or interest on this?

Gaelis likes this.
  15. Winfield

I updated the OP on this thread with descriptions of the non-linked events. So keep an eye on the OP for the most current information of course.

Below is what I added as descriptions for some of our planned events in R8. The specific dates and times on are on the OP.

Descriptions of Events on the Schedule:

PaxLair Gathering - A simple Meet and Greet event to see and learn more about PaxLair and to meet other people too.
    • Starts at the entrance to Valemark.
    • Includes a description of what PaxLair is as a player town and how and why it is being created. This is a good time to learn a bit, ask questions, and get to know people.
    • Takes you on a short tour through the town's houses as currently built and decorated.
    • For repeat visitors, this is always a good time to relax, talk to the PaxLair people and friends, and maybe even learn a few more things.
    • Repeats a few times per day so people across the "world" can attend.
    House Decorations Tours - A casual walk across The Hidden Vale to see houses of interesting design and decorations. This is not a contest, just a stroll.
    • This event could last an hour or a lot longer depending on what places are on the list to see. People may come and go from this event at any time.
    • Starts at the entrance to Valemark. To join during the tour, just /zone Winfield PaxLair
    • Will go through some housing in PaxLair (Valemark) first, then head to other towns.
    • Home owners on the tour list do not need to be present to be visited.
    • To have your house on the tour list, just reach Winfield PaxLair in R8, or send a Conversation (PM) here on these forms to Winfield.
    PaxLair Town Meeting - Town Hall - An official PaxLair Town Meeting - everyone is invited to attend and participate.
    • Starts at the Town Hall in PaxLair (Valemark) - lot # TBD.
    • Lasts no more than 1 hour.
    • Seeks to get a lot of PaxLair Veterans to attend and meet new friends in New Britannia.
    • Discusses latest designs and development of PaxLair.
    PaxLair Adventure!! Into the dungeons or PVP! - A gathering of adventurers and guards! Everyone is welcome.
    • Starts at the Town Hall in PaxLair (Valemark) - lot # TBD
    • Lasts at least an hour, perhaps more.
    • Will form parties and more parties if needed.
    • Can be a dungeon crawl or go fight PVP, or both!
    • Use of Team Speak 3 is encouraged but not required (server address available at the event).

We are looking forward to seeing everyone very soon!

royalsexy likes this.
  16. Net

Net Avatar

I will be visiting PaxLair, but I am moving my maze out of PaxLair for several releases, since I want to play with City and bigger lots for a while.

I do not have my R8 thread yet, I will make one after I test stuff in Dev+ Early early access, anyway I will need all the help I can get with wardrobes, if you have spare one (or few hundreds) I take them;) And I am planning some bigger event on Sunday; time is TBD. I update this thread with my thread as soon as I make it.

17. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Keep in mind also that they built a special building block item just for you to make a maze with.

18. Net

Net Avatar

They did? I will have to try that if they did. I though I will see it in R11 or later. I just returned from holidays so I am not up to date with news.

19. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

I thought I saw in the R7 reflections post but I just went back and read it and they mentioned that they would be at some point. It might have been a different post... Maybe Chris' or something

20. Vorshak

Vorshak Avatar

Looks like "/zone Valemark" is up and running this release.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk

Korvash and Winfield like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.