Building the Metropolis of Beran's Reach

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Vallas (Beran’s Reach), Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mata

Mata Avatar

I love this Pictures
    Streets in Mont St. Michel
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I was once there, it is a great town. If you want a mediveal feeling you will find it there. My legs start hurting, when I remember it, because you learnt how much you have to walk in such a town.

3. Mata

Mata Avatar

4. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Just breathtaking I love it. There much be so much history in those walls.

Wow!! I love the pics of the street thank you!!

Time Lord and Mata like this.
  5. Mata

Mata Avatar

Your welcome! :)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Vallas (Beran’s Reach) Avatar

Fantastic suggestions guys!

Leos, Time Lord and Mata like this.
  7. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

It all looks great! I applied for citizenship and a row house plot. Hopefully the council sees fit to grant me citizenship!

8. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Welcome Zassik!

Leos, Time Lord, Zassik and 1 other person like this.
  9. Zassik Dreadmort

Zassik Dreadmort Avatar

Thanks! It looks like my plot application was accepted so I'm officially a proud citizen of the Reach! I'm looking forward to stopping my the Bear on my way out the gates to explore this amazing world.

10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Welcome! Just joined recently myself.

Mata, Time Lord, Zassik and 1 other person like this.
  11. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Welcome to both of you. :)

Leos, Mata, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  12. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

'The Reach' has PLENTY of space left for prospective future citizens, upto and including city plots for active community members! Being a Metropolis, Beran's Reach will be a substantial player settlement in days to come, one that we very much plan to become both an economic hub and a haven from the dangers of the outside world.

If you're looking for somewhere to settle where you have a fair and even say, we operate an open community where everyone can provide input.

So what is the charge for a plot do I hear you ask?

Quite simply, none. Not a penny. Due to the enormous generosity of our founders, Beran's Reach is bought and paid for. To gain a place within the city walls, all you need to do is apply, state your case and remain active. Other than agreeing to local laws and swearing to defend 'the Reach' as a loyal citizen in times of need, you are free to make your own choices.

Fancy giving us a go? apply via our website below and get involved!

Leos, Mata, Time Lord and 5 others like this.
  13. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

All,

Quite a while ago when we first formed Beran's Reach, we put together a design team in order to help keep the development of our future home to an ordered and steady pace. The intent was that the team would process ideas as they came in, work on a design document which would then be released to the wider community in stages.

While this has worked to a degree, most notably in Dallanar's fantastic Unity design work on constructing Beran's Reach, things have been somewhat slow. This is mainly due to everyone being busy in RL which has meant that we haven't perhaps fleshed out the design of 'the Reach' as much as we'd liked. The system, while relatively controlled was a bit clunky, not exactly best placed to give everyone a chance to contribute effectively. So, time to try something new. Effective immediately, we'll move away from keeping things in-house within a Design Team to a MUCH more open set of discussions in the Metropolis General Forums. Within this forum, we'll set up a Codex of approved information on Beran's Reach that will be used in both its design work (including that passed to Portalarium for building) as well as for any fiction that could or should be regarded as canon. This list of 'approved' fiction and Metropolis information will be controlled by the High Council in order to provide a bit of continuity and to act as a bit of a countercheck, however, ANYONE from across the community will be able to contribute development for discussion, with the minimum of effort.

We'll see how this plays out over the coming weeks. While there is the potential for a bit of drama as ideas are discussed, tested and in some cases rejected, it does mean that the entire process is MUCH more inclusive. It doesn't matter if you're the oldest member or the most recent arrival (or perhaps a visitor), you are invited to put forward your ideas. Don't hold back, don't be shy and go for it! We're a friendly bunch, who knows your idea may forever change the face of Beran's Reach (or even New Britannia!). Over the next day or so I'll transition some of the notes from the design team to the main Beran's Reach for people to look at. Perhaps it'll provide a few ideas.

So there you have it. Get on the forums here and throw in your ideas today!

V

Leos, Mata, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  14. Archaon [OWL]

Archaon [OWL] Avatar

Looking forward to reading all the ideas put forward so far!

Leos, Mata and Time Lord like this.
  15. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Ok,

Here's a rework of the previous design, incorporating an upper and a lower city. The important buildings have been shifted back to a slightly expanded seaward section, with a more urban area heading towards the shield wall.

It's actually undersize, with only (only!) 3 city plots, 12 town, 55 village and 50 row plots. This will be brought up to strenght as the design is tweaked over the next few days and weeks. However, it incorporates a first stab at the allocation of NPC buildings, which have been placed as a bit of a test (operating as largely civic buildings).

[​IMG]

So, what do you think? First impressions?

Leos, blaquerogue, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  16. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Plenty of space for all!

17. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

We've recently started to discuss The Reach's future system of government, which can be seen here. Fancy contributing the discussion? All are welcome to get involved!

18. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

It looks a little tighter and I can imagine a town like this being functional. I am not sure the devs will let you have city walls because of the sieges they are talking about. I wanted walls and a keep area myself for my Dukes keep. I pray they allow something like what you have above in respect to walls. So back to the design. I think this is the final cut, looking good. I see the keep is gone too. I am glad that's gone, it didn't make sense for one place to have two castles. Sine you guys like to RP I will frequent this town for good times. I look forward to our RP and in game experiences.

Good show!!!

19. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

To all! We've still got a fair few plots left, although these are going relatively fast. An initial stab at allocations can be found here.

A point to note, we DO have a waiting list, together with an active program of removing inactive community members from the plot roster. So, if you would dearly love to live in Beran's Reach (or any other League town) then please get in contact and we'll do what we can to assist.

For the purposes of Beran's Reach, we're not asking you to pay a penny, so feel free to apply here and we'll do our very best to look after you.

20. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

[​IMG]

Design Update

This is a bit of a major design revision which takes into account a more accurate count of the lots we have in plan. Building on previous designs, a numbers of additional town plots have been added, with the port relocated to the newly established Porth Mae. Given to defence considerations, the majority of the more expensive lots have been moved to the seaward wall, with cheaper accommodation lining the shieldwall cliffs. This would be a sensible precaution, both to keep the larger buildings prevented in the event of a siege with more simply houses in the firing line (which could be repaired or rebuilt quicker). A further city plot has been added to the seaward district in the Lower Reach. The interior has been expanded to provide sufficient room for a network of village lots, criss-crossed by roads and alleyways. The Bear Tavern occupies a space which dominates the entrance to the Upper Reach, fulfilling it's original role as part of the original fortifications as a gate guard. The Upper Reach remains largely unchanged, aside from the addition of more player housing.

This design continues the serve the purpose of being a massive defensive position that will both protect its inhabitants while acting a local seat of power. We'll see if this is feasible going forward, however it'll be an interesting design that'll appeal to those who miss the good ol' days of Baldurs Gate. Future revisions may see a substantial increase of the NPC market area as more news from Portalarium regarding NPC building allocations and placements is revealed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.