Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Bulk crafting doesn't really work

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Wintermute of CoF, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

So the scenario is:
    • I have 4 iron ingots
    • I have 5 nickel
    • I have 121 coal
    • Crafting a white iron ingot is 33% success chance
    I want to just bulk craft my two white iron ingots so I select '2' as the quantity, the most I can choose, and hit start, I end up with no white iron ingots because both fail.

So if the quantity is the number of attempts, why is it limited by the number of non-consumable resources?

The sensible way for this to work is either have the number indicate how many I want and carry on crafting until I have that many (or run out of consumables) or have the number indicate the number of attempts I want to make and not limit it by resources.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I am sorry but only 2 ingots it is just as easy to just hit the picture and the craft button. You do know that double clicking the picture in the book drags all required ingredients to the table for you?

But yes I also have failed and left resource in bag when I tried to craft 20 of an item and only made 6 soooo. I feel your pain but it is still allot better than what is was.

I would like a make max and have it go until it succeeds

3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yes, of course, but I'm testing a new feature. The quantities make little difference to the principals involved.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

not reall if you are in the 20s is tries all 20 times.

5. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Yeah, I've been setting it to 20 and then doing chores. Would be nice if the number meant go until number of successes.

6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

And if you are at two it tries both times, but my point here is that you can't set it higher than two even though you can't guarantee two successes. It should either be two successes or you should be allowed to enter more attempts than you have resources. If you replace two with twenty in the previous two sentences it changes nothing about my argument.

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yeah why I said craft max and have it go until done with resources.

8. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I understand what you are saying, Jefe. If the limited resources aren't consumed in the process, why limit the number of attempts based on them. But, in my humble opinion, if you only have taken the time to collect those limited resources, allowing you to auto-craft essentially an unlimited number of times (based on how much fuel you stuff in your inventory), you are asking to bypass a limitation that should be integral to the crafting process. You could set it up so that, even on a <1% success crafting attempt, you could walk away and let the computer do the work for you.

Super inefficient, but I believe the difficulty of success should actually be a barrier that isn't simply bypassed by throwing enough gold at it (in the form of fuel).

If you have already collected a large number of resources (read: not easily purchasable at a vendor) then you have already worked for the end-product.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  9. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So case in point and segues to my next suggestion. I have now 7800 gold ore left to smelt. I am carrying 2800 charcoal atm. I have a chest containing numerous ingot molds. I break one, I replace it. Lather rinse repeat.

I have already proven to myself that if the ingot mold loses durability then the bulk crafting process stops. So that limited resource causes an auto-stop. Got it. Fine. That is expected.

Also, you can hit escape to cancel the crafting process.

I think it should be recognized that attempting to craft with a <1% chance of success is a fool's errand and doing so would be wasting resources for a very slim chance of gain. If someone wants to do that, then they can already do it in iterations of 20 with the current system.

My segue however, is that I would like to see checkboxes for auto-recover and auto-upgrade. Those prompt dialogs provide a break in the flow of auto-crafting.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.