Bundles, not buying anything over 5$ anymore.

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by blaquerogue, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

This game is OK....but damn the prices on your bundles are ridiculous! example for 574.00 i better get a 2 story house at least with some room. Im mentioning this because not all of us are rich, think of all the things 574$ can get you!!

Unfortunately im not one of the rich folk so i might as well skip over buying bundles. Some people will contradict this post, So be it! You are so fortunate in these times to be able to afford, video game cartoony things, and not worry about bills in RL! Heres the contradiction........."you should save up money for it" im sorry but paycheck to paycheck its hard to save up that much. Some people barely have enough to cover bills, they stay home and play video games (its cheaper than going out to a bar or something) Thats how i save money, not for the game but bills! This is especially in effect in the U.S. now a days! Financial situations suck here. I can name about 100 or so people who are in this game, that have money to throw around! I know them personally, or through the kickstart of this game. I wont name names, its rude! But damn put stuff in the bundles thats worth the money, lower the prices even. So the average person can afford it!

This game is controlled by the money havers, not your average players. Average, whats that? here you go .....People that work 9 to 12 hours a day to make ends meet, people that have families they spend time with and people who have to worry about bills! people that didnt have mom and pop drop thousands of dollars on them for college to become, rich in the first place, money makes money, it is what it is! I dont hate you for being rich congratulations! Those folks are the minority of players here! The majority have lives, and dont have crazy amount of hours to make gold and purchase houses/deeds through in game vendors (yeah yeah row house) only good if you have places far apart where you adventure at. If the prices are lowered in the store basic business tells you more people will buy, youll have a constant flow of cash for the game, If all of us average people left the game do you really think this game would survive??? Honestly!

There are people out there right now battling with either quitting this game or continuing to spend too much money, most i feel will eventually quit. There are other games out there besides this, and way more cost efficient than this one. Personally when i play im just killing time, the game is repetitive, in every way, everything takes soo much time to do, travel if your not teleporting to each other is a huge waste of time. By the time i get to where i want to be, i play for an hour or so then go to bed. I will never be able to make enough gold to buy a deed (thats worth a damn) Village or bigger. because i have a life outside of this game, im not retired, am not rich, so im just here running around killing time. Until something better comes out. Your right i dont have to have a house or shiny things to play this game, but it is nice to have a chance to get them / afford them.
    i will always buy 5$ worth of something so i can get the handouts during Dev videos. Other than that i probably will buy nothing. So i hope all the folks that can afford to buy stuff keep doing it, its the only way this game is going to make it in the future.

I do like this game, but it gets boring after awhile and i need to go somewhere else for an amount time before i come back here, its a shame considering the developers have made much better games in the past, but i feel the creative spark is gone and now its all about making money. Ok so im done griping now, Good luck!

2. thetimelessone

thetimelessone Avatar

I only have a few weeks under my belt but I do not in any way feel obligated or otherwise feel a need for anything in the cash shop. 99% of the add on store is bling and I do not feel any worse off not buying anything.

So in these few weeks I've played I have accumulated enough gold to buy a row lot deed, a house, and furnishings. I almost have enough for a village deed if I want to go the extra mile. In under a month. And that is playing a few hours at night and maybe a little more on the weekends depending on what I have going on.

And I'm just going to say it. the rest of your post was painful to read and just a rant that screams financial insecurity. You can snip out the SOTA specific bits and replace it with a luxury car, a bigger house, expensive apparel, and it reads the same. Some of the stuff in the shop has insane prices, I agree. If people are shelling out money for a row lot that functions the same but has gold trim then more power to them. That is awesome. It doesn't change the game for me. The price being insane to me doesn't mean I think the seller is insane if someone out there is willing to pay it.

The only thing I think at least some of your argument might apply is CF Vendors taking into account how backwards the way non-CF vendors function.

Simon LeBon, Gaelis, Elwyn and 6 others like this.
  3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

LOL financial insecurity??? Wake up! If i was insecure about finances then i wouldn't have dumped the stupid amount of money i did in this game FROM THE START (THE KICK START) Basically the point your missing is, what I'm saying is not anymore in this game! Ive spent way more than i wish i had, "some times you have to take a chance!" Which i did - something that someone with financial insecurity would not do!

Hmm Member since March 2018!? your still new in this game, at least with this account here. I totally understand what you would think, being that new! Give it a few years and you may see a clearer picture.

Stuff is way too expensive as far as bundles go, for a game that says they are doing good financially and everything is right on the point (its not by the way) behind like 2 or 3 years. Maybe you didn't know that? (Partnering with other companies is not practice for a business that is already doing well financially!) little business insight for you there. The game is Still not fixed but released as a completed game? (which it is not). For you and all those others that i mentioned above i hope for everyone's sake it turns out well. Personally I'm feeling ripped off, and i know others that feel the same! They may not want to put themselves out there, i personally don't care what anyone may think. I'm simply pointing out facts that those bundles are too expensive, when you weigh in what that amount can get you in REAL LIFE. or half of that can get you in other games. What you don't know is I have a few deeds and a few houses already so it doesn't really effect me that much (like i said stupid amounts of money), but it does effect others. I'm just being real here.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  4. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all, I just wanted to say that I understand frustration with how things are progressing with the game.I was an early Kickstarter backer and this give us "old timers" more insight into what has transpired that the new players will not understand. But this game is not a usual A+ Big company funded game it is a crowd funded games supported by its backers. All of us have over the years invested a lot of money to keep it going and most of us will continue to do so over the next 3 or more episodes. The game can be played with only a game access account but if you want more there are ways to earn to buy or real world money to get it quickly. Either way the game should be enjoyed for what it is and not what you have. If I can be of help I am here, be it training, crafting, starter armor or weapons, or just an ear.

5. thetimelessone

thetimelessone Avatar

I think I'll pass on that insight.

blaquerogue likes this.
  6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I figured you would. Business 101 and all. Always partner with a successful business. If your not. I typically dont practice Business information for free. There are so many things that were done wrong up until today within this Company. I sit back and laugh. None of my Clients would take chances like that, None.

this is a dead conversation and the end of my Pro bono. Facts are prices are too expensive for todays market, for the average person. I wish them luck truly.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    bloodydragon likes this.
  7. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

I think the key here is the vast majority of the community including yourself know this is a niche game, it's never going to become a AAA+ developed model with all the latest bells and whistles and that's always been the case. The community have invested their own money through kick start, store bundles and the seed program to support the SotA team build the game. It's a difficult balance between cheap and fair priced bundles and the next clear goal will be raising capital to develop episode 2 to a suitable standard and quality so I doubt prices will ever drop significantly.

I agree that not everyone will be able to afford in game 'luxuries' due to real life commitments and like the rest of us the SotA team will not want people don't get into financial difficulties to attain items in game that then impacts on their overall well being as a person. I think things like the raffle tickets help alleviate this to some degree, however i will concede the more gold you have the more tickets you can buy and therefore increase your chance of winning said lot, so it's not perfect but remember Willy Wonka only got his after buying three chocolate bars, so there is a chance. A lot of player run towns give away free rent slots so there isn't the on going bind of must log in and grind cash and again SotA have the daily 500g that helps run a small house for those committed to the game that haven't got monies to buy or time to invest and many players will rent a room so folks can stash stuff too but that's very much as intended a community led aspect though still relevant to costs to play.

In short I understand your frustration but I think as a business model it's surely set in stone, agreed as a management team / with the banks or investment companies who may be bankrolling them or agreed overdrafts etc. and isn't a quick wave of the proverbial wand to reduce at a whim.

I think the key thing here is like everything in life don't spend what you cannot afford; accept there will always be someone who has X Y or Z before you and that you may never attain said shiny bauble and enjoy what you have and access to. HJaving fun isn't based on what you have but what you do and that you are hopefully healthy too IMHO

Nelzie, Woodchuck and blaquerogue like this.
  8. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Considering the new loot system which even has a chance (however small) to drop lot deeds and houses, I think the opportunity is there for those struggling with a budget to still be able to play and enjoy the game with some bonuses here and there along the way. Enjoy the journey.

9. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

I didn't see anyone mention it yet, so I wanted to add in some additional context. In your original post you are referencing the $575 cost for a Tax-Free Village bundle. The bulk of the cost is attributed to the lot deed itself as that is where the greatest value is present. The taxable version of that same lot deed is $165 in the store, which is a far cheaper price point, but you have to deal with tax payments.

When you get one of the Tax-Free bundles, you are actually pre-paying for the taxes up front, which is what is driving up the cost. At some point in the past someone did the math and figured out it was a pre-payment of a couple years or so of tax payments at the COTO exchange rate. So, as reward for pre-paying for a few years you get a lifetime of no taxes on the property. If you can afford it, this offer is beneficial in that you get to keep more of your gold now and the return on investment continues to grow as time passes.

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

As frustrating as the pricing may be for shiny things in this game, the one thing you can do is turn around and sell off other items within what you have already for IGG or $'s as mentioned above, by doing this ive already covered my charges for this game and am now playing for free. Its still frustrating that the prices are way too expensive, where the average person cannot just drop those dollars on the spot, where the not so average can. All of the bundles have a POT tax free lot! Suppose i dont want to live in someone else's POT Under thier rule and can be kicked out whenever the owner feels he doesn't want your deed there? Not to mention now i have to transport all my items from one place to another! Another pain in the ass system in the game. To me personally not worth the price charged.

If these bundles had a place anywhere label on them then it might be worth the money? People could place thier lots in NPC towns, that are empty like (Elads light house and other places etc..to mention one i visited recently w/vacant lots.) One thing i may have added in this game to prevent problems is, if you own a POT you cannot place in an NPC town. I mean if you want to build up your POT as an active town, stick to designing your town and filling your town with your property to make these non active POT's Active. Then advertise.

Sometimes this causes a monopoly in the game many lots owned by one person in one spot that is an NPC town (owls head is a good example). Look at how many POT's are empty on a daily basis thats a waste of space in the game, which also causes lag, and other technical difficulties with the game itself. An expiration time period for unused POT's should go into effect. if and when that person comes back, they should have to pick another slot somewhere for their POT and go to the end of the waiting line for placement and design.

If the bundles were half the price of what they are now, im sure the they would fly out of the store, more people would buy and you would have a nice overhead to use for game design, fix etc...
    (Example one person sells COTOs for 4300 gold, I sell mine for 2,300 gold, 5 people buy your cotos thats 21,500 gold in 5 sales, i sell 10 for 23,00, thats 23000 gold, since my prices are cheaper im making over head more often than you, since more are coming to my shop instead of yours, on a daily basis, ive just stolen your business, and doubled the overhead compared to yours in the long run!) thats a simple equation, the cheaper something is the more people will purchase it. The more money the company makes for other uses.'

thanks for all discussing this is a civil way! Im not right all the time, and sometimes i learn as well by listening to the other side of the conversation. In all actuality im trying to help this game succeed, and i want it too, but there needs to be some adjustments to it, to make it succeed.

Oyjord Hansen and bloodydragon like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Unfortunately, the village bundles have really crappy houses compared to the 4-story row bundles just below them. If you're buying a village bundle then it's best to buy the 4-story row bundle first, collect the rewards then upgrade to a village bundle and don't upgrade the house.

Jatvardur and blaquerogue like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I have to ask where you got your Row Lot Deed From and for how much?

13. thetimelessone

thetimelessone Avatar

300k and from a vendor in the back of Soryn Fields (spelling?) outside of Resolute. There is a village deed listed for 600k as well if it has not already sold.

Edit: I remember it was 325k for the row*

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Numa, Jaesun and Weins201 like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I remember seeing POT row deeds for 60k not long after persistence.

15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I definitly have a good 12 row deeds.. 4 or 5 vils.. and a town or 2.. all bought with IGG or lotto from before.

I scooped a few rows for 100-120k for sure. And oddball for 80 ish k.

Begginng to think i should go purge my account if rows r 300k lol..and then sell the gold.

Barugon likes this.
  16. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

These chances will be astronomically low, and as with all things random, the more chances you have to get something, the more likely you are to eventually get it. Folks barely playing the game are never going to own land. Folks playing the game modestly, but unable to earn enough gold over time to buy what they want with it will never own land and, if they do, will likely quit when they become bored of being perpetually broke trying to decorate it and make it their own.

There's a bigger problem here, which has already been stated and beaten to death on this post and in these forums in general. This stuff is for sale for a reason - those are the customers Port. wants. Letting stuff drop in game is just an olive branch to garner good will, its not intended, in any way, to actually fulfill the desire for the randoms that can't make gold and won't pay $ to own homes. The chances of them seeing one of these drops and being able to do anything with it without becoming extremely frustrated is basically zero.

Oyjord Hansen and blaquerogue like this.
  17. hegpetz

hegpetz Avatar

You are so smart!!! It worked for me, unfortunately I already upgraded TWICE before this time without ever pulling rewards out from the bank. Ugh, I could have had extra houses if I had only known to find a bank and click that button inbetween! >_< At least I got the bundles on sale. :)

Just wanted to highlight Barugon's approach as it is definitely the way to go.

18. hegpetz

hegpetz Avatar

Follow up correction to my previous post as I misunderstood.. I actually lucked out due to the house and deed items upgrading from one to the other, because the previous house would have been consumed for the 4 story anyway! :)

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

I just want to say I do understand and sympathize with the sentiment put forth by the OP. After all, everything is relative.

At an earlier time in my life, there'd be no way for me to afford the $574 bundle I purchased. That's more than a PS4! For something virtual and intangible. If Portalarium went bankrupt tomorrow and shut down their servers I would have absolutely nothing but the e-mail receipt left of that $574. Crazy.

Given the price-point of the bundles offered, and the prices of add-ons, this game is definitely not for everyone. Both in terms of affordability, and game sensibility.

Prices could definitely be cheaper. It may help with game adoption and retention. With the prices I've noticed for City, Keep, and Castle deeds, and the fact that some POTs have many multiple large lots owned by the same player, there are definitely those that can afford to spend extravagantly in this game. But just like RL, you see people living in luxury homes, and driving expensive cars as well, it's no different.

Life will always be like this. I'm convinced that it's human nature to have "The grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome.

But no matter how hard it gets, how unfair things seem, remember that it can always get worse. After all, these are first-world problems we are talking about here.

It always helps to stay grounded, and to keep a healthy perspective at all times. Being thankful for every day you wake up and are alive to enjoy it!

Simon LeBon, Aldo and blaquerogue like this.
  20. Tardis

Tardis Avatar

There are plenty of opportunities for free housing either in inns or POTs. Also now there is a free row lot. The bundles quite honestly are over priced. If you want to spend real money but not that much, the player markets through the forum are much cheaper. The tax free lots really are over priced. Do the math and it is really more efficient to just buy gold and a taxed lot through other players.

If your issue is the fact things can be bought for real money then I suggest changing games. It is a modern fact of life that more games are doing a pay for items approach. It started with mobile and some free to play games but is growing. Look at it this way, there is no monthly subscription fee. For $15 USD per month you can buy at least a 100k gold in the player to player marketplace. With that you can do a decent amount (pay taxes on villager town lot) in the game. It is all about perspective. If that type of game doesn’t work for you, I get it. But it doesnt really bother me, nor a lot of other players.

This will never be the size of WOW or a AAA game, but in my opion it is fun, and the real world money side is just a part of the experience that you can take part in or not depending on what you want to do.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.