Butchery question.

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Stabbath, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

The butchery skill doesn't give details as to what specifically happens when it is raised. The subskills do. Is it a good idea to turn off the first butchery skill, once all others are unlocked? I can't tell any difference in butching things when the first butchery skill is raised. Is it just there to raise to unlock other skills in the tree? Thanks.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Typically, train crafting skills one at a time. Like train Butchery to 40. Then set to not training. Then work on one of the lower skills (batching and swift) and get both to 40. Do keep an eye on your crafting xp pool. Though just getting skills to just 40 doesn’t really consume that much.

This is how I did it.

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The first butchery skill is your base and effects your success chance and until you hit 97% success, increases the speed at which you make the food.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yes you are thinking correct there is not much of any reason to raise it abouve 1 unless you want a little boost from the subskilz.

As Mac sayz you can get it up to 97% which mean nothing since failure means nothing but you have to do it again.

5. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

You don't lose materials on failure?

6. Stabbath

Stabbath Avatar

I'm currently fishing in salt water, since I butchered all my fish. I don't need to turn off the other water type skills do I? Since they don't get any experience. I did take the advice given for the first butchery skills and turn the base fishing skill off.

7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I think the only reason to take butchery past 40 would be for dragon haunches. Those require minimum of 50 skill so you will need to get it to at least 45 and then use an expert butchery station to get the +5 bonus.

Just about anything else you will be fine with staying at 40. Some of the Obsidian carcasses require 45, but with 40 you can use the expert station to get the extra 5 you need.

There is a downside to not taking it higher (or upside, depending on how you look at it). With a low butchery skill, you will fail a lot on the higher tier meats. This means it might take much longer to process things as you have to retry over and over on the failed attempts. But, as @Mac2 said, you don't lose any materials on butchery failures (there is no "fuel" required so nothing gets destroyed, even though the message says so) and thus you get to earn extra producer xp on the retries.

So, if time isn't an issue for you and you prefer to get extra producer XP... keep it at 40 or 45. If time is precious and you don't care about the free XP, then raise butchery to like 60 to 80 so that you don't fail as much the first time around.

Jaesun and Mac2 like this.
  8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

For me, I am all about what I can pull per hour. Time is always the most prominent part of my equations. I just set it to get the 97% to be as fast as possible when doing dragon meat. Now I have an alt who is gmed in the 3 tops skills and 120 in the efficiency so it does not really matter. The one thing raising it beyond the 97% chance mark is for exceptional chance. When you get an exceptional its 5x exp. So if you have 3000 dragon haunches, it might be worht going a little higher to get more exp from exceptional.

Windmane and Daxxe Diggler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.