Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[By Design] NPC animals run away in mid fight if I gain elevation

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by Woodchuck, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

This bug is 100% easily repeatable and is not location dependent. It seems to be an “AI” anomaly.

It happened to me all day yesterday while I was fighting in the overland encounters (boar, stag, sheppard dog).

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Kill all the “first phase” animals in the scene (to spawn the tougher 2nd round of animals like Elder wolves, Razorbacks, Obsidian bears/wolves, etc.)
    2. Engage in battle with one of these tougher 2nd round animals (eg. big bad Obsidian bear - muchv tougher and higher level to me because it’s label is red color to me)
    3. Jump onto a nearby rock pile.
    4. Watch the animal run super fast speed into the distance (edge of scene boundary)
    Of course, I discovered this because I was running for my life!

But I was able to repeat this at will.

Note, that this is *not* the case where I am running away for a long distance and the pursuing animal gives up.

This is when I am fighting the animal to the death and there is a rock pile right beside where we are fighting, and when I jump onto the rock pile, the animal suddenly scampers away at super speed into the opposite end of the scene. (at this point I am near death with minimum health and animal is usually still over 95% life left, yet it doesn’t continue to finish me off, but runs like a scared beast away??)

What is the meaning of this behavior?

Thanks!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Sorry forgot to mention but I could see how my instructions were not clear or specific enough.

The rock that I’m jumping on is not one of those small rocks. Its one of those rock outgrowths piles like a mini rock boulder? They usually are scattered about in the scene.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Woodchuck, if an animal can't path to where you are (and if you're on rocks, they generally can't, they aren't part of the navmesh for the scene) then they will lose interest and be invincible to you. this is to stop archers/mages from exploiting the fact that the critters can't reach them by standing on rocks and killing them from a distance.

wizardsmoke and Jaesun like this.
  4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Hmm. But many times I was just on the side of the rock piles, not even on the top. The animal can still injure me and I can still hit the animal with my halberd. I am literally on the side of the rock and there is nothing between us.

But the animal will elect to run away regardless.

Edit: additional info - in terms of height, I was not above the bear’s full height, maybe half way elevated up when compared to the standing bear.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

your height doesn't matter. if the spot you're on is not part of the navmesh, it qualifies.

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

This is an anti-sniping thing. When you are not in the same navmesh, you can not damage them, and they lose aggro and may run back to their spawn area. (The exception is that boars will still try to get to you to use their knockdown attack.) When in this situation you can only attack NPCs which have ranged attacks.

Mostly it's a great pause button to take a break when not around archers or mages.

That is a different behavior called "leashing". The running away when you step on a rock is also leashing, but it's from the lack of a target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.