Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[By Design] Problem with friend list for people who have multiple characters on one account

Discussion in 'Multiplayer, Social, & Guilds' started by Rhiannon, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I've been trying to keep a guild roaster and a friend (thanks @Almar) helped me see a problem. If someone has two characters on their account, and if both of those characters are on my guild list, whichever one they last logged in with stays on my guild list but the other one isn't. Since I don't know who is an alternate and who is a separate person, I have no way to keep a proper guild list.

Is this a known problem?

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

the name switching is also a problem for pot owners trying to keep track of residents. very annoying.

Rhiannon likes this.
  3. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I didn't even think of that, Shawn. What a pain! For my purposes, we have a few hundred guild members. If I'm using my in-game guild list to update the roaster, I could be removing members from the list simply because they last logged in with their alternate character. That's how I realized the problem. I thought one of our most active members had left the guild.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it's a pain, but you can go through and right click and add/edit a note to everyone, so you can mouseover and see what their other names are. s'what i've done.

5. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I've done that for those I know. It's the other 175 people I haven't gotten around to asking. I love the note feature and often make notes about people I've met so I can remember that special thing about them later. Like a guildmate gave me a very rare item and I didn't want to trust my aging memory to remember who that was!

6. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

Having the name switch does indeed make long term social interaction difficult. (e.g. Guild membership, lot ownership, etc). The system uses the name of the character last played. Known ways to have your name change:
    1. Have multiple characters, switch between them
    2. Delete your character, create a new character with a new name
    3. Have customer service change your character name (fee associated with this)
    The current behavior is by design. There have been some lengthy discussions with Lord British on this topic. A suggested improvement would be to introduce a 3rd name (i.e. a handle) that would be associated with the account. The handle would show up next to the character name. The counter argument (and why we're so far not doing it) is because it would be immersion breaking.

So not a bug. I do encourage you to post a thread on the feedback section about this. Got a better proposed fix? Let us know.

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

One solution might be to set a toggle that shows the intended char as the default char when off line.

Though its not perfect for all senerios the off line helps for vendors town/house owner ships etc.

I guess it could put the intended char when playing another one in (brackets) or something, might require some ui work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.