Call for Pre-fab Gustball Field design - size, materials

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Gustball is actually already played, and is quite popular. That being said, that design could be used for a variety of events including pvp tournaments, concerts, meetings/gatherings and more.

Winfield likes this.
  2. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

That is a great idea, yes. Can you create a "Field for Everything" layout in game and we can take a look? What would be the options?

If you need help with the design, post here or call on friends to help out.

The first round of interest is the Gustball Field, yet more pre-fabs are possible (I imagine) if we succeed with one simple item to get started.

What do you think?

Themo Lock likes this.
  3. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Looks great! What would the rustic one look like? What other materials/pavers/rugs would you use? Can probably provide a description rather than the actual changes in game.

Themo Lock likes this.
  4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I was thinking they could have different surface types, like trimmed grass, clay, wood etc. The premium versions could have decals printed on the playing surface also... a chaos star for example ^.^

Winfield likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Rustic = Giant stone paver vs giant wood paver, Ornate = Giant white marble paver vs giatn black marble paver
    Rustic = common bleachers, Ornate = Bleachers with cushions and nice brass railings (existing assets)
    Rustic = common red awning goals, Ornate = awning with flags and banners
    Rustic = common podium (placed on top of some crates with stairs though so it can have a better view), Ornate = watchtower with brass railings instead of parapet
    Rustic = some gothic chairs for VIP area, Ornate = proper thrones for VIP (think DarkStarr or Lord British visiting- what would you want to sit on?)
    Rustic = piece of cloth as starter markers, Ornate = some fancy icon/glyph as starter markers
    Rustic = thin tall stand as food/beverage stalls, Ornate = proper awning with counter and keg(s) as food/beverage stalls

Maybe?

6. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

I think the idea of a basic placeable gustball field is a great idea and then you can add more stuff to it to customize it. As Kazyn said there are already pretty good dimensions and layouts that we have used in the past year or so and any pre-fab should take that in consideration. In Bambino's absence Sand and myself stepped up to help out and keep gustball going on the regular Sunday's at 3pm server for many many months. This only stopped when Sand disappeared and then changes to combat made it impossible to play gustball so everyone kind of fell off.

I think keep it simple and just have the field surface, goals, and perimeter marking. That way you can let people customize it past that, if you include too many elements it just gets generic.

7. Net

Net Avatar

Well, remove goals and you have field for everything:) Bleachers and the actual field is what should be merged into one "deco object" imho. goals or starting player positions are bit extra that can be added without eating too much of the item space. It would be awesoem if lights were included and the whole object was lightsource rather than deco, because lightsources are even more limited.

8. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

Why not just give us the ability to craft some goal post and some cans of spray paint so we can dye the grass and make a field outline. We have bleachers already. Then you can put the dang thing in an empty field like most towns all around the world.

Then see if competitions heats up enough between different cites to justify some more serious improvements like a special lot deed that can be purchased in game with gold that allows a town to build upon it with no item limitations or possibly an exemption that the town could apply for with the Obsidian government or LB himself! Something like that. We already need a empty lot deeds specifically built for growing plants. No planters no ability to place housing, just a plain lot to grow on directly in the ground like in real. The less cookie cutter I can make a town the better far as I am concerned. Arenas and competition fields are things that are unique all around the world. No soccer, baseball, football, basketball stadium is the same.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  9. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

I think having the bleachers attached might be too big a foot print and does not allow for as much flexibility. I think the less extra stuff you include the better and then as Sea Bear said it opens up more things to craft for crafters!

10. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

I suggested in another thread the idea of providing in-game goal/accomplishment for Town Residents. The idea goes like this for your field: Perhaps you have to buy a certain field or stadium type you want for your town. It can either cost cash or in-game gold for the basic space needed, but all upgrades to the field will be strictly paid for in resources and in-game gold. There would be several tiers offered for your particular field. Basic field would come with the most visually unappealing elements to accompany it....imagine. Top Tier would come with the most visually appealing elements. On your way to the Top Tier, your field dynamically changes along the way at each tier, until the pre-designated level you want is accomplished. This would be a sense of accomplishment for owners and town residents and also support the game economy by removing gold and resources. You can apply this concept to Town Walls, roadways, cobblestone centers, NPC buildings.....etc.

11. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I appreciate and support the idea of the pre-made arena areas for POTs, but would also chip in that a placeable 'sport field', with the pitch layout marked on it but not any of the 'extras' like seating or such, would be an useful placeable for a normal lot, and if made placeable internally and externally would be a nice thing to put in a basement 'arena' for sporting events in those too. If they did make a full POT 'placeable building', I'd hope that they also made the 'playing field' element' of that layout a placeable in it's own right.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

All... From the Standup Notes from Monday:

Aurelius Silverson likes this.
  13. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

And from the instruction notes for R36 :)

"https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-36-instructions.71501/ also includes a picture of the structure, and this text -

New Recipes:
    • Greenhouse 4 Story Row House: All those high-falutin neighbors with their giant fancy yards and big greenhouses are now not the only ones with fast growing skills. The glass roof on this craftable four story rowhouse gives the greenhouse agriculture grow bonus to the top floor!
    • Gustball Field: No longer will you need to slave away building a Gustball Field from component parts! This craftable field includes the field, goals, and referee stand. It can be placed in a POT, on a Town lot, or even in an interior (provided you can find a house or basement with a large enough open space).

14. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

FYI Ornate version in the add on store will come in R37

Gaelis likes this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This is pretty cool!

[​IMG]

Looks like it pretty much fills a town lot, and does not appear that there is enough room for lots of stands on either side. Perhaps a new prefab for three rows of raised bench bleachers would be in order, preferably ones that fit to the end of the field to the tower, so four can be used along with the field itself.

Good to know!

I'd really like to see something like a professional arena in one of the towns, with stadium seating and very snazzy field ornamentation.

Plus, gustball jerseys (starter light armor) and sticks (starter polearm) would be a nice addition. You could sell a pack in the Add-On Store with a Stadium, two colors of jerseys, sticks, a Summon Gustball bag, four ornate bleachers, and a POT town deed.

16. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Can we lose the fence that is around the field?

The close fence actually impedes game play of any ground sportsball game. I don't think it was ever a positive experience in any game that had a ground fence placed that close to the play field.

Grimace2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.