Camp scenes & other applications of the basic idea

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by redfish, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

One question about this: when do the scenes go away?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

When the last player leaves or when the scene closes. He mentioned that briefly in the OP.

Time Lord and Vyrin like this.
  3. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Something about player-created scenes makes me uneasy. And not just the ambush scenes!

I'm sure they would be abused - what about permascenes that guilds or groups maintain in shifts? There are probably many other ways too.

Also how would scenes appear in the overland map instance with selective multiplayer. Could get very tricky.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    Time Lord likes this.
  4. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

How does this have only 9 likes? It's brilliant! Nice one, redfish.

Bumping for visiblity, here. I hope the Devs take up this idea.

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Just remembered that something like this was mentioned in the Nature to nutrition, deep dive. Where Richard said one should have a method to cook in the wild. Picknicks as well I think.
    But it was a "wishlist" thing IIRC.

Time Lord and crossbowsoda like this.
  6. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

A LOT of Great Ideas here.

It might be cool if the "lot" marker was something that could be crafted from a good amount of resources. Perhaps a combination of many things likes tents, bedrolls, torches, etc. Maybe there is even a skill as to "strength" of the camp based upon the woodsmen/adventurer who placed or built it.

For how long the camp lasts, it could be based upon a scale that chews up resources on an hourly rate. To avoid abuse, make the resources that are being consumed each hour grow exponentially until it is cost preventative to maintain even for a guild. Once the camp site expires there should be a timer before a new campsite could be created, or perhaps maybe even not until the scene expires and is rebuilt.

There is a LOT of emergent game play that can come from an idea like this. It also contains temporary lots, money and time sinks, etc. Good stuff. Really good stuff.

I like that I could set up a temporary smithing camp near some fairly popular adventuring POI and save people the time of rushing back to town.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Time Lord and crossbowsoda like this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, but I don't know what exactly they were thinking about for implementation. It might have been based on the idea that you could drop things anywhere. But I think being able to create/enter a dedicated scene like this would have a lot of advantages over that. Visibility of the campfire on the map, group permissions for a lot area, the smaller scene size.

Its inspired by camp scenes in Ultima V (the most underrated Ultima ever),
    [​IMG]

I don't know if maintaining a scene in shifts would be a worry, since it doesn't mean everyone will be seeing it, but I might be wrong.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Something I was thinking about -- since we can't have the standard stone lot markers -- is that the lot could be formed around a campfire, and you'd click on the campfire to set permissions and everything else. The only reason I didn't propose that upfront was because I was thinking it might be good if not every instance of a "camp scene" was forced to have a campfire in the middle.

But if you had some object that you could set down to create a temporary lot, the same concept could also work in any scene (on a smaller scale). For example, in a town's park, you could set down a picnic blanket, which would give you some work space, and then place things on or around the blanket. The space would get removed when you remove the blanket.

I would still think the dedicated camp scene idea has a lot of advantages, but the idea of creating a temporary deco area within any scene is also cool.

9. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Ultima V is absolutely incredible. Definitely one of the best Ultima games ever. The updateded fan remake that uses Dungeon Seige as the game engine is spectacular I recommend any Ultima V fan check it out!

enderandrew and Time Lord like this.
  10. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Yes, then I would be able to setup my Gypsy wagon and sell my wears.. that is, until the town guards chase me away. I may have a crystal ball in the wagon, I may not.. ;)

11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

how about a latrine?

heh my bad. but having some sort of central item on the landscape - like a ring of stones for ritual/ambush/pvp type scenese where ther'es good landmarks to bob and weave around...or a campfire for the scene with chris/starr in your OP, or something like a travelling faire/carnival so there's a tent in the middle... whatever it is, could be selected as the centerpiece.

it could kindof go with my 'feed the campfire' idea too. if you chose a scene with a campfire you needed wood to 'feed it' to set the lenght of time the scene ends, with a max cap hardcoded..

actually the potential for abuse is why i thought of the max cap on the camptire feeding methodology. there are guilds out there that would certainly try to keep a scene open permanently, and assign members to doing just that, i'm certain. i personally dislike ideas like this and think doing something like that is quite garish, hence the need for a cap..

Time Lord and Sold and gone like this.
  12. mike11

mike11 Avatar

thank you Redfish for this amazing post.. First time I have seen it. Really, this could become a large part of the game and rightly so. It's purpose is properly devised and has meshing properties wish so many different parts of the game, as you mentioned in the post about setting up camps for different reasons. That list alone would enhance this game by 25% IMHO (at least).
    Also your skills ideas are bang on, and in tune (pun intended hehe) with some of my ideas for the need for real 'skills' in the game, in which would have a more direct role in the game as well as important co-player cooperation including important 'party' and 'social' skills.
    Together with a few other game 'pillar' ideas such as social skills, party skills, adventuring skills there is the possibility to really take the game to a new level. That would be a real attraction for players who are looking for quality core-gaming features and broader spectrum of gameplay.
    (ps) the idea for modes in association with the bardic skills and party buffs is near perfect and ready for implementation to me.

Time Lord, Sir Cabirus and rune_74 like this.
  13. Old Man2

Old Man2 Avatar

Endorse!

Time Lord likes this.
  14. logen kain

logen kain Avatar

Also Endorse! I love the idea of being able to be a proper nomad (We got this cap this release, let's use it proper like ^_^)

But I think I'd be happy with being able to simply make a fire wherever.

Take a trip to NightShade Pass and wait out the night with a fire in the woods.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I somehow never saw this I love the artwork in the OP lol.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. Also I love the idea, I would love camping scene instances to run around in.

So funny :p

Time Lord likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Black Tortoise,

When I wrote that, there actually was a texture rendering problem, and my red cap in game appeared white, and I was miffed.

19. drahn

drahn Avatar

20. drahn

drahn Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.