Can Item Comparison Be Turned Off?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Razors Edge, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razors Edge

Razors Edge Avatar

Hello again all. Ya know how when you mouse over an item it will auto pop up a description for you & when you have a like item equipped it will show a description of the moused over item & the like item side by side to compare them? Well, is there a way to turn that all off, or at least the comparison part? I ask because it really gets in my way alot. Thanks...

2. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Agree with you OP!! This is highly annoying, and it would be much less annoying to have the functionaly for item comparison use the RPG standard of holding down a key like CTRL to compare items. When you select or mouse-over an item in yiur inventory, it shouldn't compare.

3. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

To turn off everything, try holding down the right mouse button. Kills the description and comparisons. If you do click on an item, to select or transfer it for instance, do it quickly - both buttons down makes you lurch forwards slightly. Might be worth looking at though.

Obsidian Tempest and Kara Brae like this.
  4. Razors Edge

Razors Edge Avatar

DITTO!

5. Razors Edge

Razors Edge Avatar

Exactly the reason i was asking. It pops up so quickly that you almost dont have time to do anything. If we cant turn it off then a setting for length of delay would be just as good, as we could just set the delay for such a long time that we know we wont be mousing over it by then. Also btw, does anyone know why the guards are always so grumpy & why they follow me so much when im in town? Its very annoying & kinna wierd considering i dont think ive donr anything wrong. But then again i swear each time the Oracle wont give me my daily allowance because she says i wasnt on the path, i dont think ive done anything wrong then either, lol.

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Agree 100% This feature is a prime example of too much of a good thing. It is great when you need it but a complete nuisance when you don‘t. A quick toggle that doesn’t call for the dexterity to maneuver two mouse buttons at once would be heavenly.

7. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I have many dislikes in the interface. This is #1 and I've stated it many times. Good luck getting any changes with a forum post. I suggest catching the right person at the right time on Discord. That is a silly way to get things fixed, but it is one that works.

<start rant>
    Please devs! Only compare when hitting CTRL (or some bindable button)! No need for expanded and compacted view when they are both equally obtrusive! I cannot even find things in my inventory because as I am scrolling and reading the dumb comparison jumps in front of what I am looking for!
    Bah!
    <end rant>

Echondas, Anvar, Ataniiq and 2 others like this.
  8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Simple things ignored breed...... Oh, I don't know. I am fighting a distaste for all this.

9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

when I'm salvaging at the table is especially annoying. I've been tempted to submit a but report on it. Pretty sure it's working as intended.

Adding an option however to turn it on/off would be nice. There are times where it comes in handy.

Just not when I'm salvaging ;-)

10. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Agreed!

-also-

[​IMG]

twofoldsilence and Aldo like this.
  11. Razors Edge

Razors Edge Avatar

Ya, it really gets me when im Salvaging also. I learned by accident i can click multiple items by holding down the Ctrl key & then just one click & drag them all to the Salvage area. Buuuuut, the "Comparison Windows" pop-up within a second or two & get in the way of doing that. So its actually causing other features to either not work properly or be a pain to use because of that...

FrostII likes this.
  12. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

YES!!! an unending source of ANNOYANCE.

Here I am trying to read my inventory list and this stupid stuff is ALWAYS in my face with no way to turn it off. I have even taken all my clothes off before to make it easier, in fact, I have a deck called NAKED just for that reason.

The other annoyance is that decks do not save hide/unhide helmet status... If you want to look a certain way, you have to take an extra and cumbersome step to do so, when it could be solved so easily...

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

For one thing it takes up too much room. Can it not be a lot smaller and invasive? Or located above as in this picture. I don't remember descriptions getting so irritating in other games. I think ours is just way too big and gets in the way. Of course we want to see what something is but..... So making it so it doesn't cover up other things we are trying to do since we can open a lot of windows and multi-task. I do love that.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Gaelis and Obsidian Tempest like this.
  14. shadtek

shadtek Avatar

Another idea, instead of putting the bubble right over the inventory, put it up in a corner or something, like the chat interface...Only it is invisible until it is active...

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Just give us a simple toggle for it.

16. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

@DarkStarr @Chris

Perhaps this can be considered another QOL improvement?

If needed I can send screenshots later tonight when I'm back in game to demonstrate this issue.

The item comparison is very helpful. Just not when I'm on the table scrapping. It get's in the way when selecting multiple items to drag on the table.

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

OH GOD PLEASE!!!
    I've wanted this Forever.

18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That doesn't help when you are already on the right-hand side of the screen, like I usually am when crafting. It just pushes it back to the left, and many of these pop-ups are 1/4 as wide as a 1080 screen anyhow.

That is exactly when it annoys me the most. Just disabling it in a crafting table would be a significant improvement. I don't need to compare with my current gear while crafting, even when I'm making new gear. I could compare from the inventory window if I had to.

19. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

For me, it isn't just the "compare" factor that is annoying. Even if you don't have something equipped to compare it to, the item detail popup itself can get in the way.

It bugs me the most when I'm at an NPC merchant trying to sell loot weapons. When you go to select one (or a whole bunch) the popup covers all or most of the inventory window and you can't see what else is in there until you move the cursor off the inventory window.

So a "fix" for me would be to require you to hold down a key (Since CTRL and SHIFT are already used for item selection purposes, I'd suggest ALT for this function) to get the item tooltip to popup. If you have something equipped in that item's slot, then the compared item's tooltip will also appear next to it (as it does now with just a mouseover).

This way, we instantly control when we want the tooltip without having to go into settings to turn it on/off.

twofoldsilence, Elwyn, Aldo and 2 others like this.
  20. Billy Bologna

Billy Bologna Avatar

100% agree. PLEASE allow us to toggle this on and off!!! Its painful to go through my inventory after a full run. Its like the old days of web browsing and constantly having popups on your screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.