Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Can PVP Scenes and POTs be entered into using Single Player Online?

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I had thought that PVP POTs would (should) be off limits to people in Single Player Online. I also think that PVP scenes should be off limits to single player online.

Why isn't this the case? There are so many exploits you can pull with SPO.

Even if it's not a PVP environment, you're not competing with the multiplayer base when you're in SPO, so how is this fair?

I hope we plan to evaluate SPO in the near future as we move PVP forward. It seems like it's a huge gap for both pvp integrity and the PVE economy.

Moonshadow likes this.
  2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Well, since if you're banned from a POT, you can still enter to get your stuff, I'd think that's maybe why?

Open PVP scenes are in a sense off-limit to SPO because it'll kick you out of the SP mode and force you into MP mode. So, I think your problem is maybe not there?o_O

3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Yeah, it's been a while since it was discussed, but that's what I remember being the resolution. Me thinks Drocis forgot that. ;)

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Problem I see and something that would really bother and anger me:
    You see this interesting area on the overland map in SPO, let's say a shardfall. Naturally I would want to explore this area. An RPG is about exploration, too and when I see a unique und interesting area I want to explore it. Or some ruins etc. I would be extremely disappointed if I would not be able to explore the area just because it is meant to be a PvP area. This would take away a huge part of my gaming experience, namely exploring interesting areas.
    Of course I would be ok with the fact that I cannot find special PvP resources or "the best resources" if I don't enter in a multiplayer mode, but still I would like to explore the area as it is a part of the world.

Interesting is also, how those areas will be handled in Offline mode...

5. Drocis the Devious

I can currently log into SPO and go anywhere I want. I don't end up in Multiplayer, as far as I know. I don't see any people there anyway, and I'm in the scenes.

PVP POTs can't ban people, so does this now mean that SPO is no longer able to go into PVP zones without being in multiplayer? I sure hope so.

6. Drocis the Devious

I don't think it's happening now though, that's my point. I know that people are supposed to be able to get their stuff if they are banned from POTs. But PVP POTs can't ban, so why do they need to go into SPO at all in those scenes? I would say they don't.

7. Drocis the Devious

In the case of shardfalls, as long as people can't get the same resources (read: any) I'm good with that. If shardfalls become the easiest place to go get resources in SPO and it undercuts the reason to go in the PVP infested waters (as is the case right now) then I'm not for that at all.

I honestly think that if we're going to let people into a shardfall using SPO, then there should be zero resources in that scene on the SPO version.

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  8. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Coming from someone who doesn't PVP much and plans to be a dedicated resource gatherer... I still agree with that whole heartedly!

There needs to be some danger involved with gathering in the best resource areas, or else everyone would do it in SPO and be relatively safe (aside from any PVE dangers) and that would be a hindrance to the economy. In order for things to have value, there needs to be risk. But if acquiring obsidian (or whatever the high end materials will be) is as easy as mining copper... the only added value is based on the difference in the end products stats. But when the higher quality resources are also much more dangerous to obtain... that adds significant value to them.

So yea, hopefully there will be some mechanism to remove or at least limit rare resources in PVP zones for SPO.

For those that simply want to explore or experiment, I see no issue with removing any/all restrictions from the offline mode. This should have no impact on any of the online modes and will not affect the economy since they are essentially different realms.

9. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

it's only a problem because it seems most want everything and they want it now! your assessment is akin to me wanting to go explore afganistan, sure, i could, but this pasty white boy would likely wind up being decapitated if he did. i can not disagree enough with the thought of granting unfettered access to a pvp zone with out the real threat of pvp.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

An invisible barrier or something like that would scream in my face "Hey, I'm just a game and not the world simulation you expected!"
    Is this what the devs want to achieve? I thought that the world simulation would be important for this game? But preventing people from entering interesting areas is an absolute no-go for me! I couldn't accept that.

11. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

the only thing preventing you from going there is yourself.

12. Drocis the Devious

I think Moonshadow makes a very good point actually.

This is really less about playstyle and more about risk vs. reward. Is there a way for me to turn off the dragon in the dragon cave? Can I filter out Ghosts because I don't like them? Shardfalls are PVP zones. It does seem very odd that you'd be able to go into them if you're in single player mode of any kind. PVP requires multiple players.

Moonshadow likes this.
  13. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Well, I guess maybe in your case, it's because you're flagged for pvp the warning screen doesn't flash for you? I'm not, and when I tried open pvp scenes (shard or arena), the message would pop up and I end up in MP - I know it's MP because there was another player that came in later - upon which I exited:p

Though maybe since you're asking regarding pvp entering in SPO particular maybe they could remove it all together because how do you pvp by yourself? I mean, I can but I don't think many other people have that habit of arguing with themselves....much:D

14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I could accept this for single player online but it wouldn't make sense in offline mode. There is no PvP, so I can't be forced to do it.
    In offline mode I should go anywhere I want.

15. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I guess the real question is whether or not "online" is intended to be accessible by the same character. Because now how will Friends Online work in PVP? There are other people, so you could essentially go into a PVP area, and grab resources... but then you quit and start back up in Multi-online to reap the benefits? I am not sure this has been fleshed out yet (or not promulgated to the masses yet). I hope it will be discussed by the devs so a direction is known, because obviously it will not be addressed while in pre-alpha. This is just part of where we have to suspend our disbelief (or disapproval). :)

16. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

wasnt it stated that you want be abel to enter a open pvp zone in singelplayer online?

17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I see alot more important flaws along the same lines... this is like politics :p

Moonshadow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.