1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Can we get some Letters ?

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Elrond, Jul 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

So we dont have to write stuff with eggs ... also would be nice if they will be dyeable .

[​IMG]

2. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

Agreed, We have numbers and ruinic vowels, but need the rest of the alphabet. While they are at it fix the sets. The coto store sells a set with a bunch of 1 number. It's just weird.

Also allow us to place them on the shop signs. It'd be great if we had proper signs that players can easily read as they pass by without having to interact with them.

3. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    Elrond
    , I agree that we need better signs and added function to signs. Like the Destination signs should be editable so you can say where they go instead of "Town Boundary 1". The only objection I can see is that it would break immersion. I see comments fairly frequently about true role players complaints although there are so many things in game that would break immersion already. There is a complete set of Runic letters in the Crown Store, from A to Z plus the Period. Being able to place these on Bulletin Boards or as Deco items and then have the "Show Translated Location Names" ability changed to "Show Translated Text" would allow us to have immersion and readable signage for people not wanting to learn Runic. We might need a way to group letters so that the pharser would not go crazy trying to translate "the re" to "there". Either way Other Languages wold need to be addressed as well.

Also Jakkal the reason there are a lot of "1" in packs is because when the Inns came out they realized that there was not enough 1 to number all the rooms much less the first (1) floor. I suggested they make crafting numbers be 10 different recipes or at least being selectable but like the sign packs that creates 3 different ones even though you only want the Wall Sign, it is what it is.

4. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

That's fine, but at this point the set should be changed. Even break up the set so individual numbers can be bought on the coto store.

As far as I know the craftable version only has ruinic vowels. Your point about role players is valid, but the lettering could load graphic lettering based on the players game settings. So it would either show the letters in ruinic or the english alphabet. Technically it should also change to other languages but that may be more difficult since translation would be required.

5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I would love to see something like how LCD screens in space engineers are implemented. Especially with a suitable font.

I'll guess we should see movement on something around lettering within 2-3 LB birthday cakes

6. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Jakkal
    I went back and checked for the Runic letters and numbers. I only have the numbers in my crafting book but both can be bought at the Housing Decorations Merchant in Ardoris, Celestis, and Solania. Thank you SOTA Recipes. I like the idea that objects/ALT text is displayed based on a user setting like "Show Translated Location Names" is doing now. It should work that way on all Runic Lettering.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I mean, between Glowing Eggs or actual Letters, I think the "Immersion breaking" crowd should prefer actual letters... If they prefer the Glowing Egg text well then I don't know what people truly want in this game anymore lol

Bedawyn and Elrond like this.
  8. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Violet Ronso
    I am not a role player but I do understand. Glowing eggs or burning bushes are all the same to me if the shapes were not in a pattern of letters I did not know. If they were in the shape of runic letters that would be different. I cam even make allowances for some unusual items like chainsaw swords and toilets only because of the Kobolds technological advances. But for it not to be in english... this breaks my immersion. :D

Net likes this.
  9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

So if the eggs were in the shape of runic letters it would break your immersion but since they are in the shape of english letters it doesn't affect you? Then how would actual english letters affect your immersion if they were all the same for you?

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Asked for this years ago. There is even ready made assets for this on the Unity store. They are worried we might write something offensive on a sign, as if there aren't ways to report it, as if we can't already write it in books, on vendors, using weapons as letters, etc. Or maybe that was just the excuse of the day.

Selective censorship I guess.

11. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Since we're all decorating with Eggs now and forming letters in the world anyway, it seems like we should get something that's a little less breakfasty ;)

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

We must ban all eggs! ;)

13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'd just like to see plain old signage. I know the original arguments were 'immersion breaking' and 'people would write inappropriate things' but at least with a sign feature its possible to put filters to limit the abuse. You can't do much to keep people from writing inappropriate things in baguettes, eggs, or other creative methods, and reporting when you see someone writing profanity in fruit on the front lawn resulted in no action taken to rectify. Signage would be a major boon to help navigate sprawling player towns, tell stories, etc. depending on how big you make them - its easy to miss a book or paper by comparison.

The reason I say signs instead of 'letters' is that letters only stick to certain things (wall deco), often stick inside the walls or can't be placed precisely and can be otherwise frustrating.
    Examples of what I mean (from Conan Exiles lol) craftable signs in different material types of various sizes, such as
    [​IMG]

and there's larger ones where you could write a few lines of text, reasonable character limit for "welcome to such and such."

I'd envision crafted basic material types like wood/granite and 'fancy' purchaseable types, the idea being that you click to edit the text much like renaming a container.
    Would be a significant add to the game in terms of navigation and storytelling and has monetization opportunities (unlocking different styles), crafting opportunities (different recipe types), even quest opportunities to get a unique recipe for a sign with a different font or whatever. There's a lot you could do with it and its something that has a variety of applications.

14. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Violet Ronso
    Actually nothing breaks my immersion, I actively look for the unusual. It is the fun part of exploring to me (Easter Eggs) and some of the most creative designs were using unusual material. As i was in saying the post, lettering doesn't matter to me unless I can not read it. "But for it NOT to be in english... this breaks my immersion". The post was mostly sarcastic but sarcasm and feelings are difficult to express in a text document. Either way everyone have fun, explore, create, and as Spartacus said "Kill them, Kill them all!".

15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That is all ready and waiting for them on the asset store.

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Oh, and signage would probably have a huge performance boost as it would mean going from 150 dynamic objects (eggs) to one dynamic object.

17. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

[​IMG]

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  18. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Got some strong nibbles from master artist Damon on more lettering. He's thinking too perhaps to have 2 dyable surfaces on them to provide even more color variation possibilities. No ETA, but it's on his idea list :)

Elrond, Vladamir Begemot and CICI like this.
  19. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

@Elgarion IF And when he gets around to it can we let Damon know we would like multiple fonts, upper and lower case and multiple sizes of these items .

Thanks in advance.

Laz

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Elgarion and Elrond like this.
  20. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

I really don't see how having English alphabets would be immersion breaking? Isn't that the entire premise of the game, where Humans from our world get transported to Novia? Isn't that also why Avatars cannot be other Races such as Elves and Kobolds, because we are all supposed to be Humans? So why can't we transport our languages and culture over to Novia to "recreate" a bit of home? It's not like our memories were wiped out when we were transported right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.