Can we JUMP? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by RelExpo, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Thread read and acknowledged!

2. Lord Serpent

Lord Serpent Avatar

You could jump in Ultima 8. ;)

Another vote for adding jumping here.

BillRoy likes this.
  3. fan.of.devin

fan.of.devin Avatar

I'll just say this.
    I have never been bothered by the presence of a jump button in an MMO, ever... But playing this alpha for one day, I'm already getting headaches over the lack of one.

Kilhwch, NirAntae, Juvez and 3 others like this.
  4. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Absolutely no need for jump.

1. It creates 1000s's of potential exploits.
    2. Combat that is dependent on targeting becomes horrible hopfest.
    3. Territorial combat strategy is negated by the ability to jump over structures not meant to jump over.
    4. Jumping is pandora's box opening to things like target x, target next, target last, auto targeting, bot, bot, bot, a lot since the following will happen.......

5 If there is no collision detection AND there is jumping, the hope for a NEW card based combat system will fail and the game will fall back to a EQ/WoW clonefest. You can't be trying to manually pursue, target and fire off card actions all while someone is jumping all around endlessly, running through and over what should be strategical obstacles.

Chris and Wsye like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I'm not sure it will happen like you are saying. I'm not sure what games you've been playing but we are in the age of kiting and more advanced forms of combat. There is no reason to believe shrouds isn't making some form of new and improved combat movements in this game. It sounds very stale the way you put it and of course I could be misinterpreting your spirit about it, but I am not convinced that we shouldn't have freedom to move.

Kilhwch, Juvez and LoneStranger like this.
  6. fan.of.devin

fan.of.devin Avatar

I'm all for limiting exploiting and not letting people jump their character's height like in some MMOs, but saying there should be NO jump feature at all is flat out idiotic... I can't even think of the last game I played that didn't have a jump button at all (generally, that's a sign that something is a bad idea). It may seriously have been Doom 2...

So I run into a 1 foot tall ledge and I can't jump over it? Yeah, because that's totally realistic and immersive.

7. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Doesn't make you feel very heroic when a "road apple" or a discarded old boot stops you dead in your tracks...:eek:

Joviex, Kilhwch, Juvez and 4 others like this.
  8. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

What s/he said.

9. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I failed to mention RG DID state there could be "contextual style" jumping and hopping over things. I'm glad it was mentioned in irc and even more happy seeing Chris pop in.

Obviously we want NO exploits whatsoever but I don't think ANY game is beyond someone figuring some way to do something unintended by the Devs. That's just the way it is. That's why I believe the contextual jumps are a good start so it's "focused" and wouldn't hinder combat.

If free jumping was implemented, someone decides to jump around to evade attacks, that'd only last for so long before they depleted their stamina/jump meter/whatever and couldn't do much damage because they are tired.

Juvez and BillRoy like this.
  10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Wouldn't really matter if jumping was used in combat or not, you'd just have to adapt and learn to play.

Juvez likes this.
  11. ThePompousPeasant

ThePompousPeasant Avatar

Another vote for jumping, however, perhaps make it stamina based so you be too tired to jump at times if you are an excited little bunny. It's just a immersion factor without it.

OSullivan, Joviex, 3devious and 2 others like this.
  12. Sergorn

Sergorn Avatar

Having played the alpha, I can only say again that the lack of jumping feels... disturbing. I've always found that there was a kind of dichotomy when a game is using a full 3D view like SotA but don't offer any form of Jumping. In a full 3D world, not being able to jump or fall down has kind of an immersion breaking feeling IMO because the worlds gets realler, but somehow we are limited in our capacilities.

Note that I still think you should look back as to how Jumping in Ultima IX was handled - it had an interesting approach in only using a form of targeted jumping, and could easily be improved upon by the use of a skill, stamina or other stats to make it a in-depth RPG feature, rather than something twitchy and arcadish, and would also easily allows for "non jumpable" areas so as to avoid people jumping randomly and anywhere. Just my two cents

-Sergorn

Joviex, LoneStranger and hoylegu like this.
  13. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Jumping wouldn't bother me, long as there is a very very low amount of jumping puzzles!

What would be just as good at this point in time is the ability to fall off something. Currently can't walk off the sides of stairs, walls, that sort of thing.

BillRoy and NirAntae like this.
  14. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Just adding my quiet +1 for jumping.

I think tying it to stamina is a great idea, the "excited bunny" factor (so perfect a phrase!) bugs me to no end, but there were at least three times during testing that I had to use the /stuck command that in other games I could have just jumped out of the tight spot I managed to find.

BillRoy likes this.
  15. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

I don't like the always jumping option in most MMOs, where annoying players jump around all the time, but I'd like to see some controlled jumping and climbing, as in Ultima 9. For me, it was one of the strongest points for realism in that games, that your Avatar acted accordingly to the obstacle.

16. Kerbox

Kerbox Avatar

Having no jumping ability is a step backwards and quite troublesome.

17. Out2lunch

Out2lunch Avatar

I hate not having a jump in games, I also stopped playing Guild Wars within abotu 7 minutes as your couldn't jump.

I agree the overzealous Bunny is annoying, but if you've ever been in combat the ability to jump out of the way of an attack is a natural process. Yes +1 to making it stamina based that just makes sense.

I would be seriously peed off and would defo want a refund of my many 100's of $$$ ive spent on the kickstarter. It does seem idiotic in this game where natural conversations are going to happen that you couldn't jump over a log of fence that is in your way.

So far I have found 4 stuck points between fences where you can walk in but not out, so to be able to jump over the fence or out makes sense.

18. Zigmalion

Zigmalion Avatar

Jumping needs to be realistic, but it needs to be in there. When I can't jump a 5-foot tall fence like you can in many RPGs, from a realism standpoint I like that. But we shouldn't have a one foot tall obstacle prevent us from passing.

Joviex likes this.
  19. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

What all of it? Chris you machine you.

20. Lord Adz

Lord Adz Avatar

Another +1 for Jumping here.

I really don't like to have to go backward a veranda to gently take the stairs when there is a 1 foot high gap I could easily jump over.

I'm not saying FULL jump possibility like rabbit and jump over EVERYTHING, but you could make jump (We agree realistic animation) a way that you can jump over main obstacle (Common sense) and block others. Not saying we should be able to climb everywhere to get to house roof... But small things and you could even make that jump animation automatic? I mean no key to hit to jump, just go toward obstacle and if it is jump able, then avatar automatically jump over.

That is what I think. But no jump is weird...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.