Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Can we talk about the default camera mode upon installing and starting the game?

Discussion in 'Release 56 Feedback' started by Paulie Walnuts, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

@DarkStarr @Chris @Lord British

I've run into this problem quite a bit lately and it seems this may have been something that changed a few releases ago. But can we please re-evaluate how players enter the game with the default camera mode being right click and drag for the camera?

Here's a few points I have.

1. I makes everything feel way too cumbersome. Players are trying to learn the combat system and being distracted with constantly having to drag their camera around on top of it.

2. Unless i missed it, there's nothing that leaps out and says, "Hey, if you don't like this camera mode, you can toggle camera mode by pressing 'xx'"

3. There is no key bind for it anymore upon install. Players literally have to dig into the options to assign a key to it. While they're trying to get their head into the mechanics of the game itself.

My suggestion:
    Please consider starting players with free look camera mode. The cursor pops up when it needs to for the most part. Assign it a key again my default. But also put a static tool tip somewhere that explains to them how to change toggle it by pressing said key.

I liked the original way it was and still use it to this day. Tab to swap camera modes, "G" to swap targets.

Pretty please consider doing this for a better new user experience.

Dartan Obscuro likes this.
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

Mouse-look mode has less functionality (unable to draw water from wells or lock doors) and is buggier (dialogue window with no cursor) than cursor mode.

While I would agree that it would make more sense to start the game in mouse-look mode (assuming they rectify the issues associated with it), I don't think the issue has anything to do with how "cumbersome" it may be.

Cursor mode as it is in SotA is a very common PC-gaming control scheme; it would be akin to asking for the default movement keys to be on the arrows because WASD is not considered intuitive.

What would be interesting to investigate is the idea of an automaton NPC in the Isle of Storm that is essentially an instructions manual. Upon creating a new character, he would introduce himself after you've spoken with Arabella and would allow players to ask him about all sorts of different subject matter concerning control schemes (including more advanced techniques).

... He would also need to point out how Lunar Rifts work so that players can find him again.

Paulie Walnuts likes this.
  3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

It is probably personal preference with the "cumbersome" feeling. It doesn't feel intuitive and it hinders my experience when it's not used pretty much just for the features you stated above (which I don't do often). But that's what "I'm" used to. I know exactly what you're talking about with the NPC dialogue window. That one drives me half nuts, I've figured out how to eliminate that issue for the most part.

Been thinking about making a post about this for a while because I've run into several other people who have the same issue. But if we're in the minority, It's best to stick with the majority.

At the very least though, something that clearly displays the option to toggle between the 2 I think could be pretty beneficial. I like your idea there.

Gix likes this.
  4. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

The "Issue" used to be the other way around.

People complained about what your asking to be set to default :)

Hence what we have now. Set to default.

Hope that helps. I know ... prob not much :)

Laz

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Damned if we do and damned if we don't Laz!

Sounds like the best option is to reinstate a key bind for it and say, "Hey, try this!" at the get go then. IMO of course :)

Lazarus Long likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.