Cannibalistic Cooking: Recipe's for fine dining!

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Sold and gone, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Every time I eat over at @Time Lords house, there's hair and fingernails in the food!

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Name your liver recipe! :)

3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Lassie's liver and onions.

4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Extra protein.

5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I suppose that question can have variable answers. Its all about who you know.....Muhahaha!

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I love this post from Golem Dragon! It is surely going to be on my list for recipe's.

7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Ok, we have a growing list of food recipe's now we need more crafting and alchemy Ideas! Please point your noodles to the creation of body part alchemy and crafting!

8. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Sustenance could still go many places. A few days ago, Chris alluded to a document that RG had been working on.

He hinted that its contents were fairly comprehensive (or, at least, that's the message that I got). Hopefully it's revealed soon!

Despite its incomplete state, it's not difficult to make some inference.

Right now, there are a couple of Crafting skills that directly interact with food sources - in our case, Butchery & Cooking would be the two relevant abilities.

We should ask ourselves this:

First, what can be harvested from human corpses?

The resources can be neither too few nor too great in variance, as they could potentially be used across the board.

Remember: the number of resources that we suggest directly affect the amount of coding, the amount of designing, and the amount of balancing to which the devs must commit. It benefits no one to ask for too much.

What's the old adage?

Do more with less! ... limbs! :D

While the document goes so far as to suggest that harvested ingredients reflect the victim's physical state at their time of death (ie., someone who dies from a flame attack would have either charred remains, or no useable ingredients at all due to being burnt up), it would be a pretty involved design process.

For that reason, I'll go 'bare bones' here. ;) Let's assume that it's a level field - any spent body can have up to 5 different harvestable materials (excluding corpse trophies, of course).
    1. Flesh & Bone
    2. Blood
    3. Nails & Hair
    4. Organs
    5. Muscle
    Though these may seem limiting, willing players are afforded a variety of options through these few ingredients: food, alchemy, crafting, possibly necromantic reagents, possibly decoration.

Perhaps, Devs willing, they could have some rare ingredients now and then. That, however, is wishful thinking.

More in my next post, which will concern sustenance.

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

*Shivers in anticipation*

10. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I just got sidetracked on a Rocky Horror Picture Show binge!! xD

They need to put the Time Warp in the game!

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Indeed!

12. smack

smack Avatar

So for making human beef jerky in the wilderness, that could mean 2-3 days of in-game time, or 2-3 hours of real time waiting assuming they maintain the 1 day=1 hour setting. That may be ok in terms of time as you're doing this in the wilderness without augmenting it with a cooking crafting station (oven), or using a campfire (which they haven't confirmed can be used as a tool yet) or even any type for fire spit. If the oven or campfire is used, I'd imagine making human beef jerky can be shortened to just a single operation, much like how baking bread would be done.

As all the fats will be cut out or dried out, it will be the single greatest source of protein by weight and will become the most sought after food item to restore Health due to its longevity. Perhaps in terms of recipes, we can add seasonings of all kinds and perhaps that can give a boost to (or restore) Focus.

But that's jumping the gun a bit, as we still need the ability to cut up the body part into slices of meat. So in terms of crafting stations, we'd need recipes to use on the butchery station to clean and cut up the human body part into other usable ingredients that we can use on the cooking stations, like the oven.

13. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I've kind of tiered the consumption of people-parts in my own head after releasing our cannibalism document for public viewing.

Until I know more about Sustenance in SotA, 'human components as food' ranks pretty low in terms of utility (though I still think it'd be really awesome to eat someone).

Eaten raw, the player is at the most risk for inheriting negative effects. Namely, the onset of 'Kuru,' (a length, destabilizing hex) and a potential dependence on human meat.

Unless he intends to plot a metaphysical purpose behind eating raw meat, I'd imagine that Lord British is thinking along the same lines. Meat must be cooked for any lasting nutrition to come of it.

Otherwise, I don't think that we should offer much incentive to eat raw parts. If nothing else, raw components fall under 'necromantic reagents' and 'alchemical ingredients,' as they are in their natural state.

As a rule, I think that people-parts would be substantially powerful for spellcasting & alchemy. For now, though, it's unclear as to how powerful.

If spoilage & preservation become actual game mechanics via RG's document (which has been mentioned), things could become pretty cool!

Cooked, cured, or prepared by any means, human parts could have a variety of uses.

Depending on the depth of Butchery, we could be afforded some very interesting options for not only human parts, but all food.

For starters, I think that these basic ingredients should be easily distinguished - preferably by giving them their own icons, so that nobody is confused.

They would offer the same levels of fulfillment as similar meats when eaten in their simple form, and temporarily sate the player addiction mentioned above. Negative effects would be minimal to non-existent.

That said, I imagine that utilizing them offers a small karmic hit to the player. If not illegal, it would most definitely be shunned... but probably illegal, nonetheless.

Used in a recipe as a secondary ingredient, I don't think that a layman should have the opportunity to know what he's sinking his teeth into. The meat, after all, would be no different than most game. This functions similarly to the average person's vulnerability to poisoned food.

The same would go for imbibed substances - if blood, for example, is used in a potion, then a layman would likely have no idea. Potions are nasty to begin with, after all.

I'd like to see both raw & cooked ingredients of all types be available for use in the brewing of potions. The raw materials would probably lose their negative effects in this process, as they have been skillfully refined into a second form.

However, if SotA offers a return to Sensorial roles, such as 'Taste Identification,' (be it as its own skill or part of another) then players would most definitely know what they've eaten. Any following action is up for debate.

Much of this hinges on how they intend to handle food... we'll just have to wait and see!

I figure they intend to keep food pretty tame. Perhaps minor buffs here-and-there, depending on what you're eating.

If that's the case (minor buffs), we can compare & contrast the benefits of existing meals and come up with our own suggestions.

Necromantic reagents & alchemy, next.

14. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, I'd tend to agree here. However, I would temper that with something likely half the human population eats: raw fish / sushi / sashimi --- or heck, beef sashimi which can be absolutely delicious if prepared properly. Of course, as mentioned even in the Yahoo! Games interview, you can't really "taste" in the game, but I would argue that "taste" is mental and the way foods are eaten can provide benefits to Focus. And with that, I'm going to introduce this idea: Food Affinity.

Just as we suspect there's going to be gear affinity of some kind, we all will develop affinities to types of food. By eating those foods that we "like", we can regain or boost our Focus far easier than if we ate foods we hate -- yet are just as nutritious to regaining health, focus, or stamina. The affinity we have towards foods will be a multiplier of sorts.

So while cooking foods may be the way the vast majority of foods are handled in-game, I would temper that with affinity. Some people enjoy rare steaks, others like it well done. And yes, some will enjoy it raw, but face the consequences if not cleaned or prepared properly (but still not cooked).

15. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I really hope that his document contains something like this!

If it were assigned rather than chosen, it could have a pretty dynamic affect on the food-related aspects of crafting.

Maybe there would be some demand for a little bit of everything in the market, rather than UO's,

"Oh, I'll just eat 26 carrots because they're the cheapest..."

If your character had randomized 'cravings' that popped up whenever they became hungry, that could be fun. Fulfill the craving (two apples, fruit salad, whatever), get a little perk.

I assume that developing a dependency on human parts would override any affinity.

Cool idea, man. =]

16. Floors

Floors Avatar

Only on SoTA forums could a thread like this exist

17. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Nah... plenty of games have cannibalism (or similarly grim venues).

Yet, we may be the only forum that is losing members to 'Rock Simulator.' ;p

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

I was talking about a thread that could contain both Rocky Horror Picture Show and a Survivalist making Venison Jerky

19. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Hmm... good point, yes. xD

Good point.

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

hrm sounds like a new recipe! Rocky horror Jerky! mmmmmm! Tasty! muhahahahaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.