Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Cannot play game

Discussion in 'Release 27 Bug Forum' started by Tychicus, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

Since Release 26, I cannot play SotA. I can log into the game but after I log in I then get an error message saying that SotA has stopped running and it kicks me out of the game. Please help with this situation.

Info: Lenovo PC laptop
    Processor -- AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD RADEON R5 GRAPHICS.
    6GB RAM Windows 8

cjrichardsnyc likes this.
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Have you attempted a clean reinstall of the game? Please check if your drivers are up to date. Are any error or crash logs created that you can post? Additionally, check to make sure your system meets the SOTA requirement settings which can be found here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_031

Mata likes this.
  3. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

Yes, I have totally uninstalled it and reinstalled the game 4 times and it still will not work. I can log in, but once I do log in it gives me this error saying: "Shroud of the Avatar.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I have played SotA on that laptop fine until Release 26, that is when I started getting the error message. Please assist me in getting this resolved. If you have any more questions please let me know !
    p.s. I have been playing the game on my old Toshiba laptop until we can get this issue resolved on my new Lenovo laptop.

4. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

I have not heard back from anyone yet on my situation...any progress ?? Not sure if it is my settings on my new laptop or if is it settings on these last 2 new releases from you all.

5. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We are investigating the problem currently. I've escalated the issue for review and resolution asap.

Mata likes this.
  6. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hello. Are you playing through Steam or the SotA Launcher?

I checked some error logs, and I did see some strange errors from a time when you logged in on March 4th. They seemed to be Windows System/Permission related... the game could not write to some files or to the registry. Perhaps try running the game as an administrator on your machine if you are not already, or try right clicking the game executable and selecting Run as Administrator.

Mata likes this.
  7. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

@BurningToad
    Hi ! Yes, I am running the game thru SotA Launcher. I had been playing the game fine until Release 26 and that is when I started getting the error messages. I thought maybe Release 27 might take care of it, but it has not. As far as what you said about trying the Admin I do not have a clue what you mean by that. Sorry I am not very computer savvy !! Can you explain it to me in more detail and I will try it. Thanks for helping me out with this, I really want to play this game on my new laptop and not on my old one !

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  8. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

@BurningToad
    Ok, I understand what you mean by "Run as an Admin" and I tried that through the game and I got the same error message... I REALLY hope we can get this figured out so I can play the game !! please let me know what else to do. thx

9. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

@BurningToad
    Has there been any updates on my situation ?? It has been 2 months since I have not been able to play SotA on my laptop. Please respond !

10. Sator Faryn

Sator Faryn Avatar

Hi Tychius,

Have you tried to run Disk Cleanup?
    Run Disk Cleanup. Check everything especially the "Downloaded Program Files" and the "Temporary files". There are online many well written instructions for running Disk Cleanup on a Windows 8 computer. Just follow those instructions. Then test the program again.

Have you tried Windows 8 "Troubleshooting" tool?
    If you are still having problems there is a feature in Windows 8 called "Troubleshooting" found in the "Action Center". From the "Troubleshooting" section select "Run Programs made for previous versions of Windows."
    And again online are some good instructions on how to use this.

If these two don't fix the problem try again to uninstall the game. But before you re-install it do the "Disk Cleanup" again.

11. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

Thank you for responding to me ! I tried everything you asked me to do but I still get the error message. It has to be something in Release 26 that is causing this problem because it was working fine on this laptop until that release. I do not know if that helps our not. Also I have an old laptop (Toshiba) that is about 5 years old and I can play on it, the game runs a little slow, but it does play on it. So I am not sure what is going on. What is our next step in this ?? I REALLY want to get this game working on my new laptop so any suggestions please let me know. Maybe this upcoming new release 28 will fix the problem ? hope so... please keep in touch with me !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.