Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Cannot start QA 398 on Linux

Discussion in 'Release 34 Bug Forum' started by Archer, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archer

Archer Avatar

I can't login to latest QA client. Updated to 398, after a couple of tries. Either the launcher screws up some way (garbled graphics/size, or crashes the desktop out to login page) or, if it does let me launch, the pointer vanishes when the Play 'button' appears and becomes almost completely unresponsive (I can CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to logout, but nothing else)

Polaris Penguin likes this.
  2. BurningToad

BurningToad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks for the report! I will be releasing a new QA patch client along with a new QA build later today. Let me know if those improve the situation.

3. amnipar

amnipar Avatar

The same on Windows client. Play button cannot be pressed.

4. Polaris Penguin

Polaris Penguin Avatar

Yep, same here. Looking forward to seeing the patch :).

5. BurningToad

New patch has just been released

6. Polaris Penguin

Polaris Penguin Avatar

Post patch First screen showing "Play" loses mouse input, however I can restore it by alt-tab to another program and then right clicking on the game and selecting close, this then brings up the logout dialog. Selecting cancel at this point brings the mouse back and I can select Play and continue on into the game.

7. Archer

Archer Avatar

QA 399 doesn't fix the problem for me :-(

8. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Which problem? You listed several. If it's the missing mouse issue, I may ask if restarting your entire machine and attempting again may resolve this for you?

Please list your system specs for us to review further. Thank you.

9. BurningToad

Hmmm.... alright, I will keep looking into it. In the meantime, I've just made it so that the Enter/Return key will "click" this button so that perhaps those with mouse issues on startup can get passed it, after which maybe the mouse will start working, like it does with the Quit dialog.

10. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Regarding the mouse issue... I had some issues of no pointer in a windowed launch of the game - clicking the close button prompts a "do you really want to exit" type message, and you can cancel instead of exit and the mouse pointer comes back.

11. amnipar

amnipar Avatar

I confirm that QA 399 (and 400) doesn't solve the missing mouse problem for me either. The workaround mentioned by Polaris Penguin works though, so I get to login. Enter/Return doesn't work yet. Specs as follows.
    9/27/2016 9:10 PM
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210H CPU @ 2.90GHz (4) System RAM: 8110
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M GPU RAM: 2018
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.400.Date.09.26.16

12. Archer

Archer Avatar

All of the problems. Tried restarting the computer after each return to login, as I wouldn't trust the machine's state to be good.

28/09/2016 01:59
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor (8) System RAM: 16384
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics GPU RAM: 8192
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.480.Date.09.07.16
    Area: Novia
    Loc: (342.5, 12.8, -389.3)

BTW the utility that grabs the machine specs gets the RAM wrong. I've corrected it above, but it reports 16000 for machine RAM and 1024 for GPU RAM.

13. Archer

Archer Avatar

I tried that, but I still have no pointer to click cancel and do not know of a keyboard shortcut that work on my OS. :-(

14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

That's a shame.

I had no pointer in the game, but what I did was open in windowed mode, try to close the browser, received are you sure you want to exit, and then I may have just hit escape to clear it.

It seemed to be a window focus issue or something despite SotA being primary window - I had no ingame cursor until I did the above.

If it happens again I'll try and diagnose.l further, this was in Windows not Linux but it sounds similar.

15. Archer

Archer Avatar

OK. QA 400 seems to have helped, but not completely fixed the main problem.
    First time I got the client to start, I had no pointer, but it's location had been reset off screen (bottom left corner) and I was able to start SotA once I realised that.

However, second and third attempts failed with the same issue as previously. The ENTER key did not work on these occasions, I assume because the diamond before "Play" is not lighted blue. The switching away workaround, did help get a pointer back to shut down/cancel the client using the close "X".

I'll try this again tomorrow after a night sleep, as it is too late to be trying to debug stuff now ;-)

16. Archer

Archer Avatar

I only play in windowed mode. Too many lock ups previously that can't be escaped in full screen mode, so I don't take a chance on FS anymore.

I'm not sure it is a window focus issue exactly. I think it's possibly related to the pointer control. If I switch away from the (R33) SotA window, to look at a note file for example, when I return to SotA the pointer no longer uses the same settings (it is incredibly accelerated and impossible to use). Fix for that is to use TAB to shut down pointer mode, and then use any other short-cut key that opens a dialogue pane with pointer (Inventory, for example) and shut it again. Thereafter the pointer settings are reset to normal.

17. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Yeah. I didn't mean window focus but mouse focus. But it was restored for me with attempting to close so seems a different issue.

18. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it seems like 398 corrupted something locally for you. i didn't play 398, patched straight to 399, and have not had any problems.

19. Polaris Penguin

Polaris Penguin Avatar

Alt-tab works in KDE, just need to select something other than SOTA so you can right click to close.

20. BurningToad

Good news! We found out what the issue is. Basically, if the game gets closed while you are playing in reticle mode, the next time you start it, you will be in reticle mode in the opening menu, which is obviously not ideal :) Working on a fix! Thanks for all the reports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.