Can't Input Chinese (Pinyin) Characters In SotA Linux Client

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Iloru, Oct 9, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iloru

Iloru Avatar

Has anyone tried to use pinyin input in-game on Linux? I've been trying to get it to work for some time, now, and feel like I've just hit a brick wall with this. I know it works in Windows, as I had the opportunity to try it once, but I have yet to find a way to get the input to work in the game client in Linux. I've tried IBus, fcitx, SCIM...all allow input in browsers and various programs, but not in SotA. Any help would be appreciated!

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

hej, have no experience, but i think most people dint even know what pinyn is :)

although he wasn't seen the last time i forward this to @Time Lord he can may answer or have additional infos.
    And ingame mybe try to contact Anthony Lam - he is from china iirc

Time Lord and Sorthious like this.
  3. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yep....had to look that up myself!...

Pinyin Wiki(Hànyǔ Pīnyīn)

Not sure how relevent these will be to your Linux Flavor but here are a couple tutorials for setting up Hànyǔ Pīnyīn in Linux:

Text tutorials:

Tut1

Tut2

Here is a YouTube tutorial for Chinese on Linux:

PinYin in Linux

Hope one of these helps you! Good Luck!

Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
  4. Iloru

Iloru Avatar

Thank you, and I do appreciate the effort in finding the tutorials, however the issue isn't in getting pinyin input to work in Linux. That I can easily accomplish. My problem is that I can't get the input to work in the game. :( If I have pinyin input enabled, I can tab out of the game and type Chinese characters into anything I want and it all works just fine. But any attempts to type Chinese characters into the game doesn't work - I just end up typing in English.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Ah ok..Not sure that it has anything to do with it, but Chinese isn't a supported language in game. You say you were able to get it to work in Windows? If that's the case, you may want to ask staff why the functionality is available in Windows and not in Linux.

If it is just due to no Chinese language support in-game you can volunteer to help with localization at:

Join the Localization Team

Time Lord likes this.
  6. stephenrd

stephenrd Avatar

I use fcitx, but it doesn't work in the game for me either. Works great in other apps, just not in SotA.

Sure doesn't.

Well, sort of. The specific functionality seems to be no IME support under Linux even though the Unity Engine claims to support it without the developer needing to do any extra work..

It isn't.

I'm wondering whether this is a Unity3D Engine problem. I went searching and only found some unanswered posts, like this one: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/900313/linux-standalone-and-japanese.html

I was going to try and "work around" the problem by running the windows client through wine, but it doesn't seem to want to run through wine anymore...

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Well, if it's the Unity Engine that is the issue, then the game, by extension, doesn't support the language. I did read in Unity's manual that iOS and Android devices weren't supported, but, yes, it does support IME:

"Unity provides IME support, which means that you can write non-ASCII characters in all your graphical user interfaces. This Input Method is fully integrated with the engine so you do not need to do anything to activate it. In order to test it, just change your keyboard language to a non-ASCII language (e.g. Japanese) and just start writing your interface."

Maybe it hasn't been implemented in the font sets the game uses under Linux? I'm not a programmer but it might be worth checking with the developers to see if it might just be an implementation issue within the game. Possibly the font assets required to display the characters aren't present? This is what it says in the Unity manual in reference to font implementation:

Unity-Manual: Font

Good luck and I hope this helps in isolating the issue!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. stephenrd

stephenrd Avatar

I don't know about the OP, but I'm able to copy and paste characters into the game and view when others have typed them, so that's not it.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Iloru

Iloru Avatar

Yes, I can copy & paste. I just can't type them directly into the chat box.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yeah...so that sounds as if part of the functionality isn't working, but part of it is. You might want to consider filing a bug report or at least contacting devs and see if there is something they can do to get the text to display as overhead, chat window, etc., text.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Our largest available world market is headed our way,
    [​IMG]
    "we need to get ready for it!" Thanks @Sorthious for all your help!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Sorthious and 3devious like this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Black Sun's SotA site (http://sota-game.com) has a Chinese option, and I believe they will be marketing in the Chinese areas. Perhaps they will be doing the translation and providing the fonts necessary for proper display? They seem to be finishing the Russian translation, and I recall there was a font change recently...

13. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I hope they do! I want to be understood while I run through shardfalls screaming NOT THE FACE!!! NOT THE FACE!!! by people around the world.

14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I saw some actual Chinese chat text today and realized that there had to be enough international input support to get that far, so I took an hour or so to figure this out.

How to use IME input with SotA and Windows

(Note: this was done from a Windows 7 system; later versions of Windows may have moved things to different places. Hopefully this will let us test worldwide Unicode compatibility now, before problems become trouble later!)

First of all, you need to get the alternate input working. For the purposes of this example, Japanese will be used. (because that's what I'm familiar with)

* Open the Region and Language control panel
    * Click on the Keyboards and Languages tab
    * Click on the Change Keyboards button
    * Click on the General tab
    * Click on the Add button
    * Select Japanese -> Keyboard -> Microsoft IME. Do not select Japanese, as this is for a native Japanese keyboard.
    * Click OK, you should now be back at the General tab
    * Click on Microsoft IME in the keyboards list
    * Click on Properties...
    * Click on the General tab and make sure that "Input method" is set to "Romaji input". If it is set to "Kana Input", it will expect a Japanese keyboard layout.
    * Click OK, you should now be back to the General tab
    * Click OK

* On your taskbar there should now be an EN icon. This lets you select the language input system. Clicking on it lets you select JP.
    * Click on the input area of the chat window. This is important; the IME can not be used unless you are in text input mode! If the chat window is not selected, direct mode is forced because the rest of the game depends on raw key codes.
    * On your taskbar you should see an IME icon. For Japanese this is a big red circle. Next to it is the input mode. If it is a narrow "A", you are in direct input mode. Click on it and a popup menu should appear. Change it to Hiragana. If this does not work, make sure your chat input field is selected, and has a blinking cursor!
    * Now whenever you type into the chat field, input will use the IME. For Japanese, you type some characters, then press the space bar to perform conversion to kanji, then the enter key to accept the conversion.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  15. stephenrd

stephenrd Avatar

Thanks Elwyn for taking a look at this, but other than the words Chinese and IME your reply has very little to do with this thread.

Pinyin input works just fine in Windows. This thread is with regard to Linux. Linux is not a version of Windows. And so while your reply is quite helpful for anyone that might not know how to do this on Windows, it doesn't help me in Linux. Plus, I know how to do this in Linux. The game or the engine it uses has a problem with IMEs.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.