Can't run the game correctly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Synopsis, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synopsis

Synopsis Avatar

Is it me or the game is in dire need of optimization ? I started with ~45 - 55 fps on the first map of the path of courage and then it dropped dramatically...

I even tried to lower the resolution to 1366 x 768 with the Fastest setting and it's wobbling between 25 - 33 fps.

Here are my specs :
    Gtx 970
    i5 3550p 3.1 ghz
    12 Gb RAM

I don't have a NASA computer but I can run most of the recent games on Ultra 1080p 60fps. If I'm not the only one concerned that's a major issue since it forbids any laptop owner (edit : and I'm not on a laptop) to play the game and deters a large number of computer owners in general.

Here is an example in Resolute (1366 x 768 - Fastest setting)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

In town performance can drop dramatically. They are working on it.

Nelzie likes this.
  3. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

You sure you're running with the video card taking over for a lot of options? I have an older card and my visuals are a lot better and don't have a problem except in some bugged areas where it affects everyone the same. I have to say I'm not one of those players who is concerned about fps, so I never bother to look. As long as its not choppy and looks clean & clear, I'm good.

Try all the driver/video tweaks including updating, set graphics for high or best, under video card options on desktop... try several ways, first have all the "nvidia" check boxes checked, even down in resolution check nvidia and highest & full dynamic range, etc. See if these make a difference, then go back to manage 3D settings and change as needed like, override game application, use game application, enhance game application. If you don't know what they do, just ask, or look em up. If you dont want to fool with those you can use the game ready drivers from GeForce experience to optimize it for you, tho, sometimes it lowers your settings even though you can run higher and have the game still look and play great.

Also, what kind of monitor do you have? Does it support 4K+ graphics? Not saying it has anything to do with your issue, but I've noticed a huge difference in playing with monitors that support it in this game... almost like a new game. (EDIT - sorry, just noticed the "laptop owners" comment at the end)

Nelzie likes this.
  4. Synopsis

Synopsis Avatar

Thanks for your replies !

I checked my drivers and they are up to date. My GeForce experience does not recognize the game though.

I'll try to play a bit with the settings on the Nvidia control panel but so far nothing seems to work :(

My monitor is a Samsung S24D390 (1080p) , well never had any issue with it.

Edit : I also made an offline character in case it comes from my connection, but the fps are the same

5. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Sorry you're going through this Synopsis. Just keep working at it. Your card is better than mine, though if you're running a laptop... meh, may not be able to help that part :) But yeah, I can tell something is wrong with graphic (even with you setting it to fastest), needs your video card handling those jobs instead of trying to simulate it with the cpu. Hope you get it working soon. Really makes a difference. I have to fix my wife's all the time (something she does or Window's resets the graphic drivers to default and I have to reclick all the nvidia options/resolutions/settings again). When she has that problem, she can barely play its so choppy and shes got a pretty beefy OC'd gtx 1080 w/ 32gb ram, new Samsung UHD monitor, which makes the game look amazing. So could be a similar issue for you, just gotta keep troubleshooting it. So hang in there!

6. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

You are using a high field of view as we can see in your picture (I guess you like it but the distortion is huge). If you want keep it you must know you losing some fps. Chris explained this in last post-mortem, higher FoV, more pixels you are rendering = worse performance. Not the main issue as we all know, but maybe you can gain a few frames from this.

I'm playing this game with your same gpu and not having big issues (max settings with shadows medium), but with a CPU running at 4.2 ghz and 32gb RAM. Also, important to note that this game is CPU bound, and the difference is huge atm (they are working on this too, GPU needs to work more).

hammadowna and Nelzie like this.
  7. taxalot

taxalot Avatar

The game is CPU bound and is still a mess technically.

In some of the towns, I manage to have 20 to 30 FPS on my I7-4790K. Putting everything on low doesn't improve the framerate one bit. It _IS_ CPU bound ; think about it, SOTA brings a I7-4790K to its knees.

It's nice they are "working on it", because the game has been slow since the first releases four years ago. I'm definitely happy they are working on it.

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Performance is completely rig dependent. But you have some decent stuff and you shouldn't have many issues.

I have a GTX1070 and I can actually have 3 clients open at one time (2 regular and 1 QA) without issues even in big scenes.

1 @ 3/4 4K resolution (running in an 8 man group in Tears)
    2 @ 3/4 1080P resolution
    OBS running and steaming them to Twitch.

With those 3 open in the largest scenes I can still usually pull 60 fps in all of them (it will drop a bit with all 3 open and hammer my computer near 100%).

But in the end, while this games graphics are not super fancy, what kills it in big areas is the loading of hundreds of thousands of placibles sitting in peoples houses that you are near and get loaded into your video card. This takes a LOT of resources and is actually one of the coolest things in the game. Like Rada said, if you have your field of view extended way out, it will load more and more player housing farther and farther out.

Nelzie likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

City scenes are all dynamic and LOTS of dynamic lights and hard on both the CPU and GPU. We target 30fps in cities and 60fps in adventure scenes. CPU usage can vary a lot based on GPU configuration as well. Generally more GPU power reduces CPU load to render the same geometry.

The most taxing thing out of everything is dynamic lights. Those are required to fulfill the "Interactive world" portion of the game vision but my belief is we're going to have to put some more serious limits on those or at least have options to change how they are rendered for machines with less than high end cards.

10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

What about an option to only render dynamic lights from deco, and not render light sources from NPCs, players, or creatures (except obviously the player). Not having to recalculate light as other players move around would be huge. The downside would be that other player's light spells would do you no good; you'd need your own.

11. Daedwax

Daedwax Avatar

For me, turning off the setting "Aggressive Decoration Loading" MOSTLY fixed my issues in cities.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  12. oplek

oplek Avatar

One bit of low hanging fruit - I did notice that row houses on non-claimed lots all have a lit fireplace. Maybe by default they're off.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What I notice is that at a certain distance, the light from those fireplaces leaks out from the walls. If I'm at a sufficient distance from a house that light sources are no longer being blocked by the walls then those internal light sources sould be disabled.

Brugas, Feeyo and Steevodeevo like this.
  14. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Yeah, I think everyone should have a set of toggles, especially for towns, where you can set your defaults to toggle on/off all sorts of stuff. That way if you consistently have problems, be it a lower end machine or conflicting programs not playing nice, etc, you can toggle shadows, light sources, doorways (interactive items to be in a default position), set the distance of your "bubble of influence" to where stuff starts loading in, etc etc. Whatever can help players with their load times, lag issues, fps, or w/e may be going on due to stuff in towns in particular.

Some places are just buggy no matter what you do. I know one player's town has a really buggy area for everyone that comes near :)

15. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

I've got the game running steady 60 fps on dual GTX 1080ti's. I know most people can't run with that, but it works for me.

Elwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.