Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Cash register shoud not count as much toward AI count

Discussion in 'Release 55 Feedback' started by CatweazleX, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

As the cash register does not use AI it should not count toward AI count.
    However, @DarkStarr mentioned it has to because of the higher query costs of vendor listings.

What is about reducing the list limit to 100 (half of an Vendor) and let the cash register count 0.5 AI.
    This allows double the amount of cash registers and helps keep vendors sorted.

If this is not possible or wanted, can we have a cash register as deco only item? Maybe a craftable.

2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

NPC is an all or nothing thing. It won't take up half the game resources because of half a limit. It's about them needing to have scripts running.

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

A vendor stands stationary anyway, even a normal vendor should not cost towards npc count. Npcs are those that pathfind and such.. a vendor does not.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you're not the first to make that request and it's not a bad idea

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  5. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Normal vendors are in the AI path, they are doing gestures and "speak" from time to time. When the cash registers where introduced, i mentioned that they should not count toward AI but containers. The answer from Darkstarr is given above.
    Instead of half a count, the AI limit of a LOT can be doubled and human vendors and other AI consuming items counts 2 and a cash register 1.

Cash registers need not to count toward AI, but they do for the only reason to reduce the load vendor listings causes by reducing the vendor density in a zone.
    If i recognized it right, a query is executed for every listed item. That is where the idea come from, reducing the item limit on cash registers that should move some load away. And if so, allow a second cash register to keeps things sorted.

Currently i have a use case for two cash registers. That is a little more then only keep things sorted and browse friendly. Not everyone knows exactly what he/she wants and can not use the filter, also there are people that like browsing more. May they see something they want to buy.
    The storefronts are a great help to display items and for people that like browsing, but the modern, management like, drilled for efficiency, vendor interface breaks the immersion. But that is another story.

The main concern here is sorting/grouping and have a browsing friendly vendor interface. As i first heard of cash registers my first thought was to use them for this purpose. Someone told me it is irritating buying things of from a cash register, it seems more natural buying things from a human like. So, cash register may not worth more then a deco item and one have to use a human like anyway. Thats why i asked for a deco only cash register.

Alternatives are:
    - using folders. That can be done when a container is added, preferable small bags. On adding a empty one, one is asked if the container should be sold or used as a folder. (re-use vendor interface)
    - using bundles. That can be done when a filled container is added. On adding one is asked what the bundle/set should sell for. Also the bundle should be able to open similar to a folder, that people can see what is in. (use container/loot window)
    - allowing buying from a stack like it is on NPC vendors. That can be done when a stack is added one is asked if it should be sold as whole or the buyer can buy as much items he needs from the stack. Also if there are already a stack of the same items on the vendor it should be ask that the new stack is added to the already listed one. That should reduce the count of items listed on a vendor, it is not seldom to add the the same item in different stack sizes.

They delayed vendor polish, may the are working currently on it. That is why i brought it to the table at this moment.
    Want to have more browsing friendly vendors and that means short and sorted/grouped/organized listings. And the ones that exactly know what they want can still use the filter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.