Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Casting spells without reagents = BAD

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Going with the "everything is crafted" concept. Repair kits, arrows, and reagents probably are going to be made by the players.

2. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

a heavily worn weapon can just be repaired...

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If that's the case, this is going to be a very boring game because everyone's going to be a mage with an artifact. We essentially have that right now in R8. No reagents and no durability cost.

Great, we don't need to change anything, let's launch tomorrow.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Melee weapon durability + repair = arrows = reagents.
    This can be very different from an RP perspective, but from a balance perspective, they should be the same.

I'm OK with different grades of these things, as long as it's not overpowering. e.g. 75% (broken / missing) -> normal 100% -> 105% something rare or special.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Are you sure about that? Standard honing of a weapon could be that simple but some of the repair may require a crafter and station.

6. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

1) So if you're in a truly desperate situation (i.e., isolated area, heavily outnumbered, low on reagents, potions, and scrolls), you actually have a chance of surviving until you can reach the next village, town , or city and resupply...2) Also, so that pure mages don't just blast everyone else away from a distance with ultra-powerful spells before they have a chance to defend themselves or attack (game balance).

docdoom77 likes this.
  7. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

only because you dont get to sell reagents it doesnt mean its going to be a boring game :p

If spells require reagents to cast they should be twice as powerful than they are now or there really is no point in making a mage at this state of the game

Id be ok to make some reagents somewhat rare and theyll only be needed to learn the spell

docdoom77 likes this.
  8. Owain

Owain Avatar

It's an emergency procedure, as I indicated above.

I always thought it was a bit odd that in UO, you could be a Grandmaster magus, but if you lacked a reagent, you could not cast even a first level spell. With reagentless casting, SotA is addressing that. First level spells might be easy to cast, although weakened. I wouldn't expect great success with a spell at the bottom of a spell tree, however.

docdoom77 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

The game should be balanced so pure mages and pure fighters are equal. That's a goal of the devs and one that I completely agree with.

If you're in a desperate situation, then perhaps you should feel desperate. You're basically saying that all players should have life jackets on by default. I disagree with this logic. I think that before you go on the Titanic you should probably start counting the number of lifeboats that are available in case something happens.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

trollolol

11. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Sounds like SotA is gearing up for the free to play brigade, maybe they will become a cash cow in the add on shop.

Olik Halvdan likes this.
  12. Gabriel Nightshadow

Well, as it stands right now, that is obviously not the case. A pure fighter doesn't stand much of a chance against a pure mage. The mage will simply cast Root and pound the poor fighter with spells like Lightning or Fireball. By the time the fighter is able to free him/herself and close to within melee range, he/she is already seriously (if not mortally) wounded...

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

One on one, maybe. If you plan on going around solo, good luck. As a corollary to that, if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

14. Gabriel Nightshadow

Not everyone plays in groups, you know...

15. Drocis the Devious

You're right...it's currently one sided in favor of magic or some kind of hybrid magic. And if you want to make a post about that I'll support it 100%.

But I can't give up being a pure mage just so other people can compete in an unbalanced game. I'd rather have a balanced game that rewards pure fighters and pure mages for taking on the added risk while not forcing everyone to be a hybrid of the two.

16. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Reagents should be mandatory for spell casting and there should be no way to remove the necessity for them.

One of the worst things to ever happen to UO was the introduction of LRC/LMC enhancements.

17. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

I like that.

18. Drocis the Devious

Doesn't that already exist in the combat sigil? Combat skills don't require reagents and they'll have plenty of interrupts.

19. Gabriel Nightshadow

Obviously, that goal is something I think we can all agree on :D But until the developers manage to work that out (probably at least a couple more releases), everyone will have to play as some sort of hybrid magic character in order to have a realistic chance of surviving...o_O

docdoom77 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  20. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you plan to participate in Open PvP, good luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.